! flight lines !

rubythedog

fact, pigeions use flight lines to and from feeding areas and this we all no! but what i want to no is (do pigeons use the same line year after year?)

iv been told to think of roads to help understand how this works! eg, the main lines they use are like motorways, this is what the bulk of the birds use and are easy to spot but also they use several other smaller lines to the feeding area, these are the country lanes that are a little more tricky to spot. this i am not saying is fact and stand corrected but still i have the same question!

do the birds use the same line year after year? based on the fact that they whant to feed in that feild!

thank you,

No hard and fast rules for this one. If they use the same wood year after year and an area supplies them with food it is likely they will use the same flightlines as long as nothing alters the countryside , like a wind farm or new housing estate.

Do not forget flightlines may alter with the wind direction and strength.

not necessarily. one very strong winter flightline that I know of was used consistently for nearly two decades. They a couple of years ago they stopped. At the same time a new line started elsewhere. simple reason. there was more food in the other direction

Think of flight lines like a road in constant use then someone spots a party going on and they all have to have a look unless they already know where a better one is.So the route may differ a little depending which is the quickest route to the party/food,so it varies through out the year until winter when partys are scarce and big queues form.

Ie durng summer they fly every direction in singles and gradulary buid numbers at harvest on regular flight lines to the field newest cut or drilled until drill and stubble have gone then its all heading to the rape in big flocks.

Think of flight lines like a road in constant use then someone spots a party going on and they all have to have a look unless they already know where a better one is.So the route may differ a little depending which is the quickest route to the party/food,so it varies through out the year until winter when partys are scarce and big queues form.

Ie durng summer they fly every direction in singles and gradulary buid numbers at harvest on regular flight lines to the field newest cut or drilled until drill and stubble have gone then its all heading to the rape in big flocks.

thanks, its quite a tricky one this! im starting to think that most birds use the same main rd from ther roost untill they get to a certain cross rd, at witch point they then take there seperate rd of choice to the desired feild, thus creating the many smaller flight lines we see.but i agree that this may only apply to winter months when the food source is more limited!

thinking more about this it may be safe to say that the main lines may be used year after year but the smaller inroads will always change! it makes sense, if this was the case it would realy help me out as if i find the main rds then its a very good starting point in finding the smaller lines heading to the feeding ground.

I don't worry too much about flightlines. I know most of the land i shoot on very well and i know in which direction the pigeons are likely to come from and it certainly helps.

I wouldn't get too bogged down with working out flightlines.

I agree with Anser, though.

Oh yeah, just one more point. Flightlines can change if pigeons have to take on water and there is no supply close by.

Edited by motty