Trap and Sporting guns

Robin128

This is all very interesting guys can someone answer this simple question.... Is it irrelevant how much of the rib you see in regards to poa? I thought if you see more rib it shoots higher ? Perhaps not but I'm a bit thick and I don't understand why?

Thanks will

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is all very interesting guys can someone answer this simple question.... Is it irrelevant how much of the rib you see in regards to poa? I thought if you see more rib it shoots higher ? Perhaps not but I'm a bit thick and I don't understand why?

Thanks will

This is a very loaded question and for the simple reason that we're talking about dozens of different makers, all with differing ideas of how to build and set up their wares you simply cannot make general statements such as high ribs mean high shooter. I think the reason this assumption is often made is because of the fact that in order to make a genuinely high POI gun you first have to make a rib that starts high and tapers down towards the muzzle. So in essence you're going to end up with a beefy looking rib that looks different and shoots different.

However, if you make a rib that is more or less parallel, (but also a little high such as the fashion of today) then there is no godly reason why it shoot shoot high at all, it will in fact shoot low if anything (just think about it).

In the US they make semi's shoot high by bending the barrel :lol::yes: , I kid you not. So there are other ways to arrive at high POI other than rib height. I have rarely found rib, or for that matter comb height to be a reliable indicator of POI.

I can easily believe that manufacturers such as Perazzi are able to build high POI guns by the way they inlet their barrels and actions in the first place and not have to rely on rib action alone.

When I let people have a go with my gun I repeatedly have to tell them to treat it as a flat shooter as that's what it is despite an eye full of rib. That just helps with general ease of target pick up and most certainly with not lifting your head which happens with low rib set ups, POI is simply not on my radar when tweaking combs.

I find this discussion very interesting. I have a Guerini impact with adjustable rib and adjustable comb. With the rib set in its uppermost position, ie parallel to the barrels it shoots flat, i.e 50:50 at 25yds. If I turn down the rib at the muzzel end I can make it shoot high, anything from 60:40 to 80:20 depending on how low I set the rib. I have also noticed that adjusting the comb up or down by any reasonable amount i.e 1/8 - 1/4 inch has very little impact (no pun intended) on the POI. I conclude from this that it is the rib configuation in relation to the barrel that effects POI the most. Obviously if you aim like a rifle and set the comb too high the gun will shoot high. John Bidwell can shoot clays from the hip with his eye about 2 feet above the barrels and still hit the clay, that is because he is looking at the clay not the rib!

In all honesty I can't say whether my gun shoots high or low or flat and I'm not sure that I'm overly bothered. It was fitted by a proper old school gunsmith and acquires targets quickly and (80%+) accurately - the ones I miss are down to me!

I have always shot so that I have more concentration on the clay or bird than the end of the barrels :hmm: These new high ribs look great and probably work well for some but I can't help thinking that there will never be a better mixture than a good eye and a gun you're used to, whatever its inherent tendencies :rolleyes:

I have no doubt that modern recurve pulley bows do a good job too but a proper longbow will still deliver even if it does take more skill to master it without sticky out sights and counterweights.

Something about workmen and tools comes to mind? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Well done Robin. The XTs are very nice guns indeed. Every time I see a decent one in a gun shop, I get very tempted.

Thanks, Gordon R. :good:

Log is pretty, innit?

Great deal with Mike Evans, Sportsman Gun Centre, Newport. :good:

That recoil pad is surprisingly effective...not sure I will put a Gracoil LOP on it...the thought of running that stock thru my bandsaw... :G

IMGP3029.jpg

IMGP3010.jpg