Le Chameau Chasseur vs Hunter Balmoral Sovereign

Esseintes

I'm after a new pair of leather-lined boots and was looking for some advice.

My first choice was to try to locate a pair of the pre-Balmoral Hunter Sovereigns (i.e. made in Dumfries and not China), but that has proved impossible.

That left the Le Chameaus (apparently now made in Morocco) and the Chinese Hunters. I've had Aigles before, but the rubber perished - don't think it liked cow muck.

Everyone I know with the Chasseurs really rates them, but I appear to be in-between sizes in them (either too short in the foot or too loose in the heel); I also prefer the colour and look of the Balmoral Sovereigns (and they're available for £100 less).

Has anyone had recent experience, good or otherwise, of the Chinese Hunters?

I haven't tried them ,but I do know that a lot of my friends have moved away from both Hunter and Le Chameau boots because of quality problems in recent years, added to poor customer relations in getting the problem sorted out.

I have some Seeland neoprene lined boots I got from BushWear a few years ago and despite heavy wear they are superb.

I believe they cost me about £50-60, never have been able to get my head round paying £200+ for wellies. :)

I've a pair of the leather lined Hunter Sovereigns, RRP £300 approx, I paid £150 in one of the Sportsman's sales, the boots are excellent in every way, the only thing I would say that is difficult to gauge is the size when ordering on line, I'm usually a UK 11 but my boots are a good 1/2 size bigger than normal but it gives me the chance to wear a pair of Vision neoprene boot socks which works out Perfect for me,As I said the boots are excellent but I wouldn't want to give £300 for them, I've a pair of Toggy (wander's) neoprene full zips @ around £100 or less and they are every bit as good, I've gave them several years of abuse and they've plenty left in them yet to tell you the truth I've bought my son a pair too I thought they are so good. :good:

I had a pair of the new Hunters with the zip Down the side! ( can't remember the proper name) had them a week and they leaked. Ok i thought £150 wellies must be a one off! Sent them back and the next pair were exatly the same!!! I've had Hunters for years!! NEVER AGAIN! :( Aigle all the way now for me!!!! Each to there own! Good luck with your new purchase! :-)

I bought Hunter Balmoral Bamboo/carbon and loved them so much I talked a mate into buying a pair. He was first to send his back within the year, then I sent mine back. He's since thrown his second pair away (still within warranty) and I won't wear mine through water. Fine in mud but wet feat otherwise.

I then bought a pair of neoprene wellies from the bay for £25 and so far so good.

JF

p.s. I'm always a size 10 but took an 11 in the Hunters.

I have just bought a new pair of le chameau chasseur & I love 'em - I had vierznord before and they have lasted 4/5 Years, and I practically live in them, they are like waterproof slippers :good:

I nearly went for the Sov's - but my pals reckon they look like Nazi marching boots :lol:

Edited by Devon Fox

I nearly went for the Sov's - but my pals reckon they look like Nazi marching boots :lol:

I quite like them, perhaps I have a hitherto-undiscovered uniform fetish:

hunter-wellies-balmoral-sovereign-brown.jpg

Although I prefer the older Sovereigns:

Hynter%20Balmoral%20Sovereign%20(%20Brown)-500x500.jpg

Better to my eyes than the Le Chameaus:

Chasseur--500.jpg

Seelands look rather odd:

934ce532a3991bb3159040991.jpg

Edited by Esseintes

I bought some Hunters at the end of summer, I wear them most days to walk the dog and have been shooting 4 times in them.

I would'nt say they are hard used, Yesterday the right boot leaked, Which made the afternoon uncomfortable.

Its a great let down.

I dont think i wouild bother with another pair

My seeland 12mths old but only seen about 40days of wear.comming away from the heel along the seam, only found out it was there when i washed my wellies in a puddle before getting into the motor, could of been like that for months? Back to the trusted ten quid placa neds from Yorkshire trading 'proper wellies'

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Neoprene Chameau and have found them the most comfortable and warmest wellies I have ever owned. My cousin has the leather lined ones and on a visit to Scotland in Nov last year he could not feel his toes after half a day out in the field. For Hunters there is a good mail order shop that tends to offer slight seconds( off colour or misplaced logo) at greatly reduced prices. may be worth looking at. John Norris www.johnnorris.co.uk

Go for the le chameau neoprene lined, had a long conversation with a few people including my uncle who is a leather buyer for the shoe trade, and told me he had spoken to a chap who deals in le chameau and said there is no difference in leather or neo lined chamies apart from the price. ive had neos for years and just had a second pair this year and still find the best.

• 3 weeks later...