which whistle for a cocker?

mattslaptop247

Which is the best whistle for my cocker? Ive decided on the ACME ones, but there's 210's, 210., 211's :blink: ...... loads of 'em! I guess the numbers are to do with the pitch, but what's bes suited for my cocker?

Say for instance, I was working in a beating line and 2 dogs had the same whistle wouldn't they get confused and pick up on the other dogs whistle? Is it better to get a variale tone one and set my own pitch? :look: Help!!!

Does not really matter as long as you stick to the same pitch one, most people use 210 1/2 I find. Always buy 2 or 3 and keep one in your car as an emergency spare.

Dogs know you is blowing the whistle and will only respond to their master, its the way you blow it being ever so slightly different from someone else.

A

Edited by Alycidon

Most people with spaniels will use the 210 1/2, while lab handlers prefer the lower 211. Why does 5 Spaniels on the beating line, working to exactly thde same make of whistle of the same tone ohnly react ( if trained properly) to their own handler/owners whistle?? Simply because each handler has their own unique tone which, although can't be detected by us, will be detect by their dog.

Defo 210.5. I believe its the most common for spaniels. My cocker hasn't had a problem, his first day i took him into the beating line he got a little confused/overcome by all the whislte, but once i corrected him a few times i think he started to listen more carefully and by the end of the day had no problem with other whistles of handlers.

Daz

It's your preference. The pitch is neither here or there as far as being able to hear it is concerned.If it was all about the pitch and only the pitch, there would be mass confusion on shoot days. Anyone that says dogs cant get confused by someone elses whistle is wrong. Dogs do get confused at times with whistles, no matter what the pitch but there are supptle differences to the way a whistle is blown by each individual.This, in my opinion, can cause more problems than the pitch being the same as someone elses whistle.A higher pitched whistle can sharpen the responses of your dog up though. My dog will respond to anything I whistle with, including my lips, however, as allways, consistency is the key. IMHO.

A gundog could be trained to respond to a french horn, bagpipes,penny whistle,mouth organ,flute,babies rattle, trumpet or trombone, it's not the sound that is important but the consistency and skill used.

Edited by straightbarrel

I also use the "silent whistle" when close to people, as the 210.5 blown hard can be painful to folks close by, and a bit anti-social in the beating line. I lower the pitch of the "silent" one so that it is just audible to my ears, but the dog responds well to that as well.

Ours reacts to bats , so no problem with them hearing supersonic tones!

FG