Cammo gear price war ?

I brought a few cammo clothing items back from the US and noticed that the price difference between "them and us" was wider than normal, its usual that they are between 25 and 30% cheaper.

When I spoke to my friends they tell me that there is a "price war"going on, with many new companies launching cammo ranges, that are barely disguised copies.

It seems that the "big" cammo companies are having trouble protecting their design registrations and many are being challenged in the US courts.

I think the argument is "how can you patent a leaf shape ?".

Hopefully, we may feel some of the benefit.

Three seasons ago I bought a camo Northern Flight wading jacket from Cabelas, it was in there bargain basment section, this is for discontinued/sale stock etc. It cost me $44 and is still going strong today. I saw several very similar jackets at the Scottish game fair that year, and not one of them was under £150. Not only that you had to get certain stock delivered and it would take seven days from the south of England, I got my jacket from Cabelas in five!! I think we have a lot to learn from the states regarding shooting gear. :lol:

I was thinking of ordering from abrod my friends dad went U.S and he brought my friend back a load of camo gear like Gun covers including a very warm cammo jacket, I asked how much he payed for it ,it looked like one of those expensive deer hunter ones he sayed $30 from wal mart. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it so much of a con, more a case of modern fabrics and designs tend to come in the new style patterns.

I used to use standard army issue DP gear. I also had a DP goretex overjacket. This was all well and good but when it rained my trousers got wet. I had loads of separate layers and it was a pain in the butt. I bought a set of deer hunter goretex, thin, light, storm proof and very warm. Much, much better.

I think if the MOD could afford to but the good stuff then our troops would be wearing it too! ;)