Independent Night Vision Reviews?

Dynamic85

I like the idea of saving up for a night vision scope, or a monocular that I can use handheld, then clip on to my scope to take a shot. The problem is, everyone who has an opinion on them, is either selling it, or has only used their set up, and doesn't really have much to compare it too.

Is there anywhere that has independent reviews of kit, from people who have used different ones, and aren't trying to sell you anything?

Also, is night vision worth it, as there seems to be quite a few for sale posts saying "Doesn't get used" or "Have only had it out of the box to check it works", so might I be better off sticking to lamping if I don't have a few thousand pounds to spend on the latest military kit?

The Cobra Merlin with day scope adapter is a brilliant bit of kit. It's equivalent to Gen1+ and I use mine on my .243. I have extra IR by using a lamp fitted with an IR filter. This gives me a shooting range of up to 250 yards, although I never use it that far. The Cobra, as with many add on NW's has to be used with a parallax adjustable scope. It will not work correctly without one.

Steve.

I've been in your exact position. Ive tried the Cobra Merlin mentioned above and thought it was rubbish. I had problems with getting a scope to like it and never really got it running properly.

Got my eye on the N550 next but again its all based on reviews of people flogging them although you dont see many 2nd hand N550's about which might tell a story.

The Cobra Merlin really starts to work with a powerful incandescent lamp and IR filter, but you can get acceptable results with a decent IR laser illuminator.

A lamp with a dimmer and a good scope can work very well too, mount the dimmer on the rifle and bring it up slowly until the crosshairs are useable.

A combination of spotting with hand-held Merlin / laser and then using the lamp to shoot works well and avoids having to sweep the rifle / lamp around.

I have a Cobra which I use occasionally.

The scope really is the key to getting the most out of it.

I have scopes from over £1k to under £50 and without doubt it works better on the lower end ones, which don't have the best light transmission.

I got the best results with a none PX WTC and a low mag Richter.

You need some form of IR illuminator. I use a laser, but had acceptable results out to fifty yards with the Cobra 150mW IR illuminator.

These days when night shooting I use a Clulite with a red filter, as it's not really what you are intending to shoot, but more about what is or isn't behind it.