good or bad idear to get lab from RSPCA

xX Hunter UK Xx

I'd say thats rubbish, people may not know their own pups hip score but the vast majority of people who buy a working lab will know the sire and dams score. Its not the be all and end all but with a lab you are very foolish to even be given one with no idea of parents. Simply you won't know there are issues till the dog is 4 or older and then its expensive drugs and no work for the rest of its life or a bullet if you are that way inclined.

Why did the problem escalate within the working lab breed?

I cant see the problem with trying the dog out and if he wanted to put his mind at rest after the dog has proved it is capable then hip score the little beggar, still a dirt cheap gundog if it proves it's capable? It's on death row at the moment so no point in getting all soppy over this, it either 1,gets a chance to shine with someone as a worker, 2, go's to a lovely family home where they will feed it everything and more(adding to any possible hip problems if it has a hip problem), or 3, it faces the firing squad? Now, this young lad needs a dog, he's seventeen (the lad not dog), he needs one quite quickly by the sounds of things (at least a year with a pup from scratch, not to mention the expense),why oh why is it such a bad idea to give the dog a week or two of his time?

Edited by straightbarrel

I'd say thats rubbish, people may not know their own pups hip score but the vast majority of people who buy a working lab will know the sire and dams score. Its not the be all and end all but with a lab you are very foolish to even be given one with no idea of parents. Simply you won't know there are issues till the dog is 4 or older and then its expensive drugs and no work for the rest of its life or a bullet if you are that way inclined.

Well said that man i would never dream about buying or having any retriever but especially a Lab without hip scores its a Lottery at best and as you say you could end up with a very expensive dog indeed and one that cant work even if it wanted to :good:

Why did the problem escalate within the working lab breed?

I cant see the problem with trying the dog out and if he wanted to put his mind at rest after the dog has proved it is capable then hip score the little beggar, still a dirt cheap gundog if it proves it's capable? It's on death row at the moment so no point in getting all soppy over this, it either 1,gets a chance to shine with someone as a worker, 2, go's to a lovely family home where they will feed it everything and more(adding to any possible hip problems if it has a hip problem), or 3, it faces the firing squad? Now, this young lad needs a dog, he's seventeen (the lad not dog), he needs one quite quickly by the sounds of things (at least a year with a pup from scratch, not to mention the expense),why oh why is it such a bad idea to give the dog a week or two of his time?

This young lad does not "need" a dog at all and you cant rush dog ownership especially working dogs to give a 17yo advice that you are imo is wrong, why is it a bad idea how many reasons do you want no hip scores or eye checks,could have agression and behavioral and anxiety problems,could be show bred need i go on the best advice you could give this lad is be patient and wait for the right dog not take the first thing that comes along and if this is how you give advice then you should quit giving it just my opinion of course.....

It will not be free. The RSPCA charge for their dogs, my Ridgeback X was a 16 week old dog and cost us £78 IIRC.

If it's been rehomed once, in my opinion, you should leave it to be rehomed with a family who want it and are unlikely to reject it again, as a pet it is unlikely to "not be up to scratch" and one thing a young dog needs is stability.

If you want a working dog then as said already, approach gundog breeders and get a puppy or possibly part trained, you've more chance of success then.

It will not be free. The RSPCA charge for their dogs, my Ridgeback X was a 16 week old dog and cost us £78 IIRC.

If it's been rehomed once, in my opinion, you should leave it to be rehomed with a family who want it and are unlikely to reject it again, as a pet it is unlikely to "not be up to scratch" and one thing a young dog needs is stability.

If you want a working dog then as said already, approach gundog breeders and get a puppy or possibly part trained, you've more chance of success then.

:stupid:

Plus Im sure one of the RSPCA's policies is that rehomed dogs will not be used for working. At your age if I see right that your 17 I would wait a few more years, a dog whether its a rehomed one or not will hold you back from certain things.

A topic like this will always polarise opinion. I remember approaching the RSPCA when looking for our first dog and being refused as we kennel our dogs. To me, this is the best place for dogs but RSPCAs opinion differed.

That didnt taint my view of rescue dogs. As I originally said, my current view is probably selfish, bourne out of the issues I have since seen with rescue dogs.

Those who take on an unknown quantity have my admiration. Its just not for me.

This young lad does not "need" a dog at all and you cant rush dog ownership especially working dogs to give a 17yo advice that you are imo is wrong, why is it a bad idea how many reasons do you want no hip scores or eye checks,could have agression and behavioral and anxiety problems,could be show bred need i go on the best advice you could give this lad is be patient and wait for the right dog not take the first thing that comes along and if this is how you give advice then you should quit giving it just my opinion of course.....

Who are you to say whether or not this adult needs a dog or not? He is looking for a dog so my guess is he feels he needs one!

He's a grown man, not a child! The guy is asking if it's a good idea getting a rescue dog as a rough dog, not whether you think he should get a dog or not. The majority...yes majority, of people buying gundogs do so without any knowledge of hip scores and other health issues. That is fact, like it or not.The vast majority of working dogs in this country are not tested. In other words,the vast majority of people buying these dogs have no idea if they have a dog fit for purpose long term or not.My earlier posts highlighted the fact he would be better off asking someone with experience to assess the dog with him, and if need be, once the dog was starting to look the part, hip score it, if this would put his mind at rest.Problems with behaviour etc are problems that can spring up in any dog, they are often manageable.

Take the dog, have it vet checked if need be, although I understand RSPCA dogs are given a once over anyway,, give it a few weeks of your time, once you are confident it will come up to scratch, do all the tests you want. I have to say though, the majority of people buying a pup would not go through all this once their pup is up to scratch.

Edited by straightbarrel

Who are you to say whether or not this adult needs a dog or not? He is looking for a dog so my guess is he feels he needs one!

He's a grown man, not a child! The guy is asking if it's a good idea getting a rescue dog as a rough dog, not whether you think he should get a dog or not. The majority...yes majority, of people buying gundogs do so without any knowledge of hip scores and other health issues. That is fact, like it or not.The vast majority of working dogs in this country are not tested. In other words,the vast majority of people buying these dogs have no idea if they have a dog fit for purpose long term or not.My earlier posts highlighted the fact he would be better off asking someone with experience to access the dog with him, and if need be, once the dog was starting to look the part, hip score it, if this would put his mind at rest.Problems with behaviour etc are problems that can spring up in any dog, they are often manageable.

Take the dog, have it vet checked if need be, although I understand RSPCA dogs are given a once over anyway,, give it a few weeks of your time, once you are confident it will come up to scratch, do all the tests you want. I have to say though, the majority of people buying a pup would not go through all this once their pup is up to scratch.

I do not no anybody who has brought a dog or puppy who has not had hip scores done and I no lots of people who have working dogs I certainly would never dream of doing it,this dog could have hip dysplacia and cost him a fortune and be useless and probably being put to sleep if it has it's just to much of a risk IMO,and he is 17 I would not class that as a grown man either and we should be teaching people of this type of age to be responsible dog owners not risk takers with dogs lives....

A topic like this will always polarise opinion. I remember approaching the RSPCA when looking for our first dog and being refused as we kennel our dogs. To me, this is the best place for dogs but RSPCAs opinion differed.

That didnt taint my view of rescue dogs. As I originally said, my current view is probably selfish, bourne out of the issues I have since seen with rescue dogs.

Those who take on an unknown quantity have my admiration. Its just not for me.

so the rspca dont kennel them :hmm:

Just wondering (not trying to pry to deeply) as your 17 are you still living at home? If so have your parents offered support with the dog if needed, only reason i ask is if you are going to Uni or looking at getting a full time job will you have time for the dog as well as a social life? In the next few years you might be looking at renting a place if so you will be restricted as many places do not allow pets or if buying a place you would have to take into consideration the dog so would need a house with a garden instead of a cheaper flat.

I am only 22 so quite close to your age and would hate someone pointing this out to me but you do really have to think hard about it as not fair on you or the dog if you dont.

Just wondering (not trying to pry to deeply) as your 17 are you still living at home? If so have your parents offered support with the dog if needed, only reason i ask is if you are going to Uni or looking at getting a full time job will you have time for the dog as well as a social life? In the next few years you might be looking at renting a place if so you will be restricted as many places do not allow pets or if buying a place you would have to take into consideration the dog so would need a house with a garden instead of a cheaper flat.

I am only 22 so quite close to your age and would hate someone pointing this out to me but you do really have to think hard about it as not fair on you or the dog if you dont.

What complete and utter rubbish. First of all, if you dont want to "pry", dont! He is going to be or is working as a gamekeeper, it's not a dog to cuddle up to next to the fire mate it's a working dog, a tool of his trade! Why should his social life suffer? Work through the day...with working dog, kennel at night? Up in the morning feed it, water it, off to work? If you would hate someone pointing this out to you, as you have stated, why point it out to him? "Not fair on him or the dog", what??? The dog is sitting on death row with no hope at all at the moment, the 18 year old colledge trained gamekeeper is looking for a gundog, a working dog, there is every chance this dog could be what he is looking for, just what is the problem? The blokes question was not...'should I get a dog?' his question was- 'good or bad idea getting a lab from the RSPCA?'.

so the rspca dont kennel them :hmm:

Its a while ago but that was my thought too. It made no sense they wouldn't entertain a dog living outside despite the big fur coat.

We had more recent dealings with RSPCA, wanting advice on a welfare issue around geese where they were totally dismissive.

I'm sure that they do some great work but my experience of them has been negative.

Fair enough straightbarrel I did not realise he was going to be working as a game keeper so with the dog all day my comments would be more suited for someone like me who works all day with out the dog. Hands up i should not jump to conclusions. I just thought be worth mentioning as when i get home i have to put a lot of effort in to my dog for training etc and also cant come in from work to turn straight back around and go to the pub leaving the dog on his own for another 4-5 hours. Also we have found we are definitely restricted by having the dog and not sure if someone going through what we have just done with buying a house etc would find it easier without that restriction.

As i mentioned in my other post earlier on in the thread i would def give the dog a try if i was looking for a lab and I am sure he will give it a great home.

Edited by ferguson_tom

Its a while ago but that was my thought too. It made no sense they wouldn't entertain a dog living outside despite the big fur coat.

We had more recent dealings with RSPCA, wanting advice on a welfare issue around geese where they were totally dismissive.

I'm sure that they do some great work but my experience of them has been negative.

Oh they stole one lads free range chickens because they said were wandering all over the place :rolleyes: , then wanted him to drive 15miles to collect them- he wasn't having any of that! the chickens were returned. Now you have to think a bit about RSPCA monitered freedom foods when stuff like that happens don't you :hmm:

As an organisation i personally believe they have totally lost thier way and the plot :rolleyes: Funny about thier view on outside dogs as its only realy here and the USA were people think dogs in the home is a good idea. Personally i think it cruel to keep a dog indoors and then expect it to sit quietly in sub zero conditions in the field and jump into winter seas and ponds

Oh they stole one lads free range chickens because they said were wandering all over the place :rolleyes: , then wanted him to drive 15miles to collect them- he wasn't having any of that! the chickens were returned. Now you have to think a bit about RSPCA monitered freedom foods when stuff like that happens don't you :hmm:

As an organisation i personally believe they have totally lost thier way and the plot :rolleyes: Funny about thier view on outside dogs as its only realy here and the USA were people think dogs in the home is a good idea. Personally i think it cruel to keep a dog indoors and then expect it to sit quietly in sub zero conditions in the field and jump into winter seas and ponds

Quite right, they are a reflectinon of society and the nanny state. Do-gooders rule this country now mate,

do-gooders and foreigners!

Edited by straightbarrel

In my former life as a police dog handler I had responsibility for a while of recruiting donation dogs and sourcing dogs from rescue centres. I brought 12 dogs in at a total cost to the force of £90 and kidnapped one other spaniel for myself.

All made great working dogs including my own 18 month old at the time ESS who was gunshy to air rifles, was sick and voided on the shortest of journeys, could not walk more than 100 yds due to her hips being locked because of a lack of exercise and mild hip displacia, had no drive and had no confidence at all. She now works a beating line under control (how many spaniels do you see doing that?), will pick up for me or others and is a reliable walking up / hide shooting / fishing dog and she lives indoors, goes on holiday with us, in restaurants, hotels, etc.

A pair of 7 month old ESS from working lines were so retarded that the bitch clung to my leg like a diving boot for the first week. She and her brother are still working well in drugs detection.

Another 18 month old ESS bitch brought in from the same rescue centre as mine had been tied to a radiator by her previous owner, who had learning difficulties. She had developed a roach back due to the short leash and peed whenever anyone looked at her. She made the best detection dog the force has.

Just because someone else has not made the best out of a dog doesn't mean that it will always be a basket case. The RSPCA will let you take it and try it, and let you bring it back if you can't make anything of it. And don't believe the old stories about working dogs having to live outside. It's nonsense!

Edited by UKPoacher

In my former life as a police dog handler I had responsibility for a while of recruiting donation dogs and sourcing dogs from rescue centres. I brought 12 dogs in at a total cost to the force of £90 and kidnapped one other spaniel for myself.

All made great working dogs including my own 18 month old at the time ESS who was gunshy to air rifles, was sick and voided on the shortest of journeys, could not walk more than 100 yds due to her hips being locked because of a lack of exercise and mild hip displacia, had no drive and had no confidence at all. She now works a beating line under control (how many spaniels do you see doing that?), will pick up for me or others and is a reliable walking up / hide shooting / fishing dog and she lives indoors, goes on holiday with us, in restaurants, hotels, etc.

A pair of 7 month old ESS from working lines were so retarded that the bitch clung to my leg like a diving boot for the first week. She and her brother are still working well in drugs detection.

Another 18 month old ESS bitch brought in from the same rescue centre as mine had been tied to a radiator by her previous owner, who had learning difficulties. She had developed a roach back due to the short leash and peed whenever anyone looked at her. She made the best detection dog the force has.

Just because someone else has not made the best out of a dog doesn't mean that it will always be a basket case. The RSPCA will let you take it and try it, and let you bring it back if you can't make anything of it. And don't believe the old stories about working dogs having to live outside. It's nonsense!

So your saying its fair to peddle dogs around so just "take it and try it" as you put it its not a bike or a toy its a dog for christ sake :no:

So your saying its fair to peddle dogs around so just "take it and try it" as you put it its not a bike or a toy its a dog for christ sake :no:

You are assuming that human traits are shared by animals. Dogs are far more resiliant to change than humans. If they weren't you couldn't leave them in boarding kennels when you went away. You couldn't leave them on their own while you were out at work.

The dogs in rescue centres are in there because their owners aren't capable of looking after them. There is often nothing wrong with the dogs themselves that a bit of understanding won't sort out. If you don't take it on you'll never know. So what's best, take it on trial as is often done with trained gundogs and horses, or leave the rescue dogs festering in kennels without a purpose on life?