A visit to Kirton marsh 3rd Nov 2011

harrycatcat1

The clock went off at 03.00 and I could have very easily have reached over and turned it off as I was really tired.

Driving there, because I was very tired, I was thinking why the flippin heck do you do this, you must be a nutter, turn back and get back in that bed and go fast asleep.

When I got there there was a guy getting togged up who had driven 100 miles so I didnt feel so bad, we worked out where we were going so we didnt trip each other up, he said he was going out from the pumping station so that left me with loads of marsh to pick from.

Once on the marsh, after a 2 hour drive, all those bad thoughts are gone and the experience of the marsh starts again, the best 50 odd quid spent joining the club :good:

No pinks just loads of Brent, see photo.

post-16219-0-30498200-1320352379.jpg

post-16219-0-14432000-1320352398.jpg

post-16219-0-34129100-1320352420.jpg

post-16219-0-74766800-1320352447.jpg

post-16219-0-64581500-1320352477.jpg

I admire your enthusiasm ,I can almost throw a stone into the wash from where I live and have often thought of trying some fowling but never done it for one reason or another ,think its the thought of being stuck out there on my own !.

I was the same when I started last season call me Mr Apprehensive but I have got over it and now I love it, I have to admit my first trip was scary :blush:

The thing is a full season (with the potential of) shooting wildfowl for just over 50 quid you cant go wrong, and being so close as you as well is a crime not to go :lol:

Good pics, and nice looking spot :good:

I'm pretty lucky to be within 10/15 mins of my club marshes.

Gosh that would be so flippin good :yes::good:

nice photos there :good: out of interest do you always shoot so close to the sea wall?you would do better on the duck shooting if you got closer to the edge of the green and used the pushing tide to help you there are alot of shooters on sheps that stay close to the sea wall and over the season dont shoot that much at all . that little bit more effort can make all the differance before you know it you will have shot your first limit and it will be crispy duck for tea :D all the best UK

Edited by UK fowler

nice photos there :good: out of interest do you always shoot so close to the sea wall?you would do better on the duck shooting if you got closer to the edge of the green and used the pushing tide to help you there are alot of shooters on sheps that stay close to the sea wall and over the season dont shoot that much at all . that little bit more effort can make all the differance before you know it you will have shot your first limit and it will be crispy duck for tea :D all the best UK

On photo number 4 which was taken from the top of sea wall you can see the bridge (its name escapes me)(Bailey bridge that's it) I normally try and get in a creek the other side of that or round it. For me that is quite adventurous on a dark muddy morning with mud pulling at my boots when I have driven 2 hours and of a nervous nature :lol: I don't do deep water or mud :no:

I accept what you are saying but I will build myself up in stages :blush:

I know the pushing tide will help but I am limited with other commitments to when I can get, so I have to be grateful for what/when I can get.

I agree with your comments though :yes:

edited to say do you shoot Kirton? If you do where do you go roughly, are you a pumping station man?

Edited by harrycatcat1

get yourself out on the welland side,you,ll do better there ! once your over the bridge turn right ish,and then follow the cattle tracks on a long left turn.

you wont have any creeks to cross,youll end up with a big creek on your right side and a big flash the other side of it,keep going and the creek will go right-off to the welland and there will be an even bigger flash in front of you,get some deeks on that,or better still,cross the flash to the welland side.craig

get yourself out on the welland side,you,ll do better there ! once your over the bridge turn right ish,and then follow the cattle tracks on a long left turn.

you wont have any creeks to cross,youll end up with a big creek on your right side and a big flash the other side of it,keep going and the creek will go right-off to the welland and there will be an even bigger flash in front of you,get some deeks on that,or better still,cross the flash to the welland side.craig

Thanks mate I have just checked that out on google maps and your directions are great :good: I have located the two large splashes.I will print a map out at work :D

I have to say I will check out that area but not in the dark first time :blush::no:

Dont worry I wont be over shooting it :lol:

Thanks again I really appreciate good advice like you have given to me to a relative beginner ;)

Best regards

Hcc

oo jesus i would love a session below the sea wall again, problem is getting on in years has also brought with it major chest problems :no:

loved the early start, dog eager to go, pocket full of 8 bore carts , double eight in its bag jiggling with anticipation :rolleyes: , months earlier i had build a small cairn of rocks on the near barren marsh in the tidal area pre season, kneeling now against the rocks,net in front, choc lab barely containing his enthusiasm next to my legs, the `ronk` as a canada welcomes the pre dawn, followed by others taking up the call, till in a crescendo of noise skein upon skein lift off for the days feeding, watching beneath the brim of my hat, watching as a leader pulls his group towards me, head still down judging the moment when the double lifts into my shouder and my head goes up, pull through the leader, who seeing me for the first time his airbrakes go on, the wings now spread as he turns his body away, back a bit, whump as the first barrel belches its load at a goose just back from the leader, regain control, whump as the second barrel sends a blast at a second goose, the labby experienced from years of this has on the second shot moved out to collect the first goose, having noted its fall, straight back and without waiting for a pat or a word is off to collect the second goose, returning wet, muddy and tail wagging, this one he will expect a pat and a word, poss even a treat if `dads` remembered, i never did forget, however even if nothing came in range the enjoyment was still there, we got the fresh air, we enjoyed the fact that on another morn, a different flightline taken that the geese would be overhead and hopefully in range

now at 56, ******** health wise, my old faithfull hound now since feb residing in a sunny spot in the garden i only have memories but often wish

i had the old faithfull double 8 out the other day, yes i still have it, a misguided hope of ` one day i may` :cry1: , allthough in this damaged heart i know i wont, a shame that neither of my sons want to follow dads muddy footsteps, they have looked on thinking the `old mans ` nuts as i reminisce with them or with a mate about times now gone, mornings spent, weekends - even the once a year full week away with the mates :friends: , arriving home, unshaven, clothing filthy, dog looking like we had been on the tiles for a month, tired but still smiling :good:

oo jesus i would love a session below the sea wall again, problem is getting on in years has also brought with it major chest problems :no:

loved the early start, dog eager to go, pocket full of 8 bore carts , double eight in its bag jiggling with anticipation :rolleyes: , months earlier i had build a small cairn of rocks on the near barren marsh in the tidal area pre season, kneeling now against the rocks,net in front, choc lab barely containing his enthusiasm next to my legs, the `ronk` as a canada welcomes the pre dawn, followed by others taking up the call, till in a crescendo of noise skein upon skein lift off for the days feeding, watching beneath the brim of my hat, watching as a leader pulls his group towards me, head still down judging the moment when the double lifts into my shouder and my head goes up, pull through the leader, who seeing me for the first time his airbrakes go on, the wings now spread as he turns his body away, back a bit, whump as the first barrel belches its load at a goose just back from the leader, regain control, whump as the second barrel sends a blast at a second goose, the labby experienced from years of this has on the second shot moved out to collect the first goose, having noted its fall, straight back and without waiting for a pat or a word is off to collect the second goose, returning wet, muddy and tail wagging, this one he will expect a pat and a word, poss even a treat if `dads` remembered, i never did forget, however even if nothing came in range the enjoyment was still there, we got the fresh air, we enjoyed the fact that on another morn, a different flightline taken that the geese would be overhead and hopefully in range

now at 56, ******** health wise, my old faithfull hound now since feb residing in a sunny spot in the garden i only have memories but often wish

i had the old faithfull double 8 out the other day, yes i still have it, a misguided hope of ` one day i may` :cry1: , allthough in this damaged heart i know i wont, a shame that neither of my sons want to follow dads muddy footsteps, they have looked on thinking the `old mans ` nuts as i reminisce with them or with a mate about times now gone, mornings spent, weekends - even the once a year full week away with the mates :friends: , arriving home, unshaven, clothing filthy, dog looking like we had been on the tiles for a month, tired but still smiling :good:

Very good write up mate, I think you should seriously think about having another go if your health allows you to :yes::good:

Regards

Hcc