Which Wellingtons?

Impax

Hi everyone,

My current pair Hunter classics have again split above the first toe on both boots are are leaking! :/

This is not the first time I've felt let down by the durability of Hunters so I've decided not to buy anymore.

So I am again in the market to buy a pair of wellies. I wish to spend around £50 so the very best are out of the question. Up to now I learning towards Chameau "All tracks" which are just within budget, but I've seen the Garlands neoprene and a make called X3M1 neoprene lined wellies advertised. Having not seen any of these first hand or known anyone whos bought a pair I'm not sure how good they are.

Any of you guys bought a pair of them makes and advise how good they are? I need to know the built quality, how good the soles grip in wet conditions and durability!

Perhaps we could star rate the current available lines in budget wellies :yp:

Regards,

Impax.

Hi Impax. I had exactly the same problem a few years ago, and after asking on here and consulting friends, I bought a pair of Le Chameau Vierzonord neoprene-lined wellies. The Garlands and XM versions look identical, and are also really good quality.

The neoprene lining is sublime during winter, but you need to wear good sweat-wicking socks if you'll wear these boots also during summer. Personally I wear them all year round.

You'll find the soles on all of the Le Chameau boots are hard to beat. Very grippy, and hard wearing.

i'm still in hunters but no matter how many socks i put on in the winter, 20minutes after setting up the hide my feets are blocks of ice. i reckon if you can stretch to le chameau it could well be worth it, me old man has some as do all his mates and they love them, pricey but i reckon they last well. all the best,

BM

I have a pair of neoprene lined Toggi boots, which I've had for three years, for the winter. They really make a big difference. They are still o.k. for wear.

I also have a pair of Hunter for the summer. They seem to be wearing o.k.

The neoprene lined ones I found too hot to wear all year round and the unlined ones make your feet too cold no matter how many socks you wear.

I always use leather walking boots, comfy,waterproof and breathable i can easily walk miles on end with them on..If i need extra height stick on some gators....

I would say this though, you spend £150 on a good pair of boots and they last 3-4 years (or 4-5 for leather walking boots)

or buy some £50'ers and have to renew them each year and put up with the **** that goes with them (ice blocks for feet). You pays your money you takes your choice :yp:

Thanks for your input guys.

Not sure what to buy get, would like to see the X3M1 range before I make a decision- They look very much like Chameau, but as with all things in life you get what you pay for!

Regards,

Impax.

Thanks for your input guys.

Not sure what to buy get, would like to see the X3M1 range before I make a decision- They look very much like Chameau, but as with all things in life you get what you pay for!

Regards,

Impax.

go try some on? won't hurt will it

• 2 months later...
Hi Impax. I had exactly the same problem a few years ago, and after asking on here and consulting friends, I bought a pair of Le Chameau Vierzonord neoprene-lined wellies. The Garlands and XM versions look identical, and are also really good quality.

The neoprene lining is sublime during winter, but you need to wear good sweat-wicking socks if you'll wear these boots also during summer. Personally I wear them all year round.

You'll find the soles on all of the Le Chameau boots are hard to beat. Very grippy, and hard wearing.

I've had a pair of Vierzonord wellies for about three years now and use them form beating, walking the dogs to pigeon shooting. They are like wearing a pair of slippers! Go and try a pair on, they're worth every penny. :no:

I've had a pair of Le Chameau Vierzonord for about 5 years now, they are just starting to give up but if I had the money to spend now, I'd seriously consider a pair by the same company athough I have found (as has been already mentioned) that they are a bit warm at times.

Bet you wish you hadn't asked now...everyone got their favourites but I will say Hunters always were rubbish, they seem to perish all too quickly, and I'd steer well clear of them as I don't think they've improved over the years. Many of the other brands have developed and are superb but again it'll all come down to personal choice in the end.