Bear hunting in B.C.

Hubertus

Nice pictures Hubertus, makes you want to go there as well. Keep up the good work. :good:

I will be passing gottingen close by when i go to the Frankenwald on wednesday. Hopefully there is some nice roebuck there (was last time i've been there :no: )

I am always amazed by the amount of roedeer you can see in the fields along the highway when you are driving. Makes the trip less dull. In the car we tend to make it a game to spot the most roedeer and as quick as possible. :good:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Hubertus :good: Grizzly Adams was a tv programme that used to be on here ages ago. He lived in the woods and Mad Jack was another character in it, Number 7 was Mad Jacks mule :no:

Ah ok, understand now.

No havent met him :lol:

Only Grizzly Paul. That was my guide :good:

Nice pictures Hubertus, makes you want to go there as well. Keep up the good work. :good:

I will be passing gottingen close by when i go to the Frankenwald on wednesday. Hopefully there is some nice roebuck there (was last time i've been there :lol: )

I am always amazed by the amount of roedeer you can see in the fields along the highway when you are driving. Makes the trip less dull. In the car we tend to make it a game to spot the most roedeer and as quick as possible. :lol:

Have a good trip! And good luck for the shooting. Hope you get some nice bucks there :-)

How long do you hunt there?

--------------

And some more pics:

That is a really rare picture. A female bear with 3 kids (right word?). In normal case they have to 2 or 1.

When they noticed us they climbed up that tree. Really, really nice to watch. And they are so quick. You wont believe that. The blue behind the Bears is the Pacific ocean.

post-125-1148390796.jpg

And some more pic of that.

post-125-1148390807.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now comes the best part of the pics. Some really good pics that made a friend while i was stalking a really big bear. He used a digital camera with a 10x zoom So you can see really much (he was 70m away from me)

We saw the bear from big distance. The guide watched him threw the binocular and

It was quite difficult to stalk. Because there were so many stones and wood. I must be really carefull to prevent to make any noise (they cant look very good but smell and hear very, very good).

post-125-1148391199.jpg

Im watching what he is doing with my binocular. I enought time. But must be really carefull to prevent any mistake, otherwise he would have been gone.

post-125-1148391451.jpg

There he is...

post-125-1148391463.jpg

sorry, that some of the pics are not so clear.

post-125-1148391700.jpg

The black point is the bear and the green guy thats me. Im moving very slowly, and must always be carefull to prevent that a stone makes some noise.

post-125-1148391722.jpg

The bear is eating grass.

post-125-1148391728.jpg

Thats me removing a barrier to prevent noise. It was quite exciting to be so close to the bear. But there were some branches in front of me. So i decided to go more closer...it was the second day so i thought i can take the risk of getting closer and have some really good and exciting stalk.

post-125-1148395804.jpg

I stalk closer and closer. There is now no more cover. So i stalk ducked to have a smaller sillhouette.

post-125-1148396057.jpg

He is still eating grass.

post-125-1148396180.jpg

post-125-1148396301.jpg

I was now round about 20m away. After this picture have been taken. He was looking into mine direction. I wasnt sure if he had noticed something. But before he could dissappear i pulled the trigger. And he ran like hell upwards the mountain. I repeated the rifle and shot again. And he fall back down. That was really spectacular. I have that on Video. Really superb. That was one of the exciting stalk i have ever done. That is really impressive to be so close to such a big animal.

The first shot was absolutely deadly. The guide have seen with the binocular that the blood was coming out of the chest like a fountaine. I couldnt see that threw the scope because of the recoil. So i shot as quick as possible as he was running away.

post-125-1148396486.jpg

It was an really old, really good bear. Old fighter. The pelt wasnt that good. But the guide said that it is normal for these old bear. They have fighted a lot in their live.

It was really an impressive hunt.

When we came closer the guide was first throwing a stone at him to see if he reacts. But he was absolutely dead.

post-125-1148396811.jpg

I felt a little bit sorry for have taken such an old fighter.

post-125-1148396957.jpg

And from the side.

post-125-1148396977.jpg

His face was scarred and he had a purulent place over the eyes.

post-125-1148397341.jpg

It was an really old, really good bear. Old fighter. The pelt wasnt that good. But the guide said that it is normal for these old bear. They have fighted a lot in their live.

It was really an impressive hunt.

When we came closer the guide was first throwing a stone at him to see if he reacts. But he was absolutely dead.

post-125-1148396811.jpg

I felt a little bit sorry for have taken such an old fighter.

post-125-1148396957.jpg

And from the side.

post-125-1148396977.jpg

His face was scarred and he had a purulent place over the eyes.

post-125-1148397341.jpg

Well done Hubetus. :good:

An old warrior, taken out humanely and with respect.

Good man. :no:

Frank.

Thats me and the bear.

post-125-1148397442.jpg

And again.

post-125-1148397475.jpg

We started then to skin the Bear.

post-125-1148397567.jpg

On the right side is me and on the left side is Paul.

post-125-1148397708.jpg

It takes quite a time because it must be done very properly.

post-125-1148397749.jpg

@stupidsalmon, maori haz and frank:

it was a Browning Stainless Steel in .338 Win. Mag. with a Federal Cartridge with a Trophy Bonded Bear Claw Bullet. I could choose between 3 Rifle: a .300 Win Short Mag (WSM), a Weatherby .30-378 (the craziest cartridge i ever saw with a huge place for powder!) and the .338 Win Mag. I have chosen the .338 because it was the less exotic caliber in my opinion and powerfull.

Well done Hubetus. :good:

An old warrior, taken out humanely and with respect.

Good man. :no:

Frank.

Thank you for your nice words Frank.

Hubertus

Well done Huburtus,

I have a few questions.... how hard is it to stalk the bears? I have seen programmes on TV where the bears make a point of comming up to people and they appear to have no fear.

I see you skinned it but what did you do with the skin? Is it now on the wall at your house? What did you do with all the meat? Did you eat it?

Cheers

Harry

I have a few questions.... how hard is it to stalk the bears? I have seen programmes on TV where the bears make a point of comming up to people and they appear to have no fear.

I see you skinned it but what did you do with the skin? Is it now on the wall at your house? What did you do with all the meat? Did you eat it?

Hi Harry,

thats more in town areas where they get food (from the waste) or worse: they are feeded by people) or where they know people. Normal bears are absolut shy. They dissappear as fast as they can normally. So in normall case they are not that dangerous as many think. They can get only a problem if they loose there shy (or wounded).

Its at the moment at the taxidermy. I will get it later on the wall. Its a really nice and big pelt!

We have taken the meat with us. But i havent tried it. They have frozen the meat.

Hubertus

Whats the orange thing that looks like its sticking out of your back pocket in this photo?:

hi SS, that is one of the cheap sweden knives (Frosts) i always use. They are really perfect and dont matter if you loose one.

Hubertus