New Maxus Carbon Fibre

barrie0

Just bought a Maxus Carbon Fibre on Friday and had a chance to try it out over the weekend. It's a cracking gun, better than I expected to be honest.

Took it up to the farm on Saturday but it was very quiet but still managed to get a couple of Jackdaws and a rook using Eley HB Pigeon 67mm shells. I felt it was shooting slightly high so adjusted the stock for a lower drop using the supplied shims when I got home.

This morning I took it up to the clay club for 100 sporting so I could try it out properly. It took me 4 or 5 stands to get used to it as it feels so light compared to my Cynergy and when I got it on target I kept thinking "that's quick" which was putting me off pulling the trigger!I ended up with 80/100 which is not bad for the first try out of a new gun. It cycled Eley First (67mm) 28gm shells with ease and I did not have one cycling problem (one of my shooting buddies tried some 65mm 28gm shells however and it did not like them at all).

Compared to previous semi-auto's I have had before (Beretta AL391 and Hatsan) - it just felt so much slimmer and fitted better. I particularly like the forend as in width it feels much the same as my Cynergy and not bulky like most semis. The latch system on the forend is so quick and hassle free for breaking down the gun. I think this gun is definitely a keeper and my Cynergy may well be hibernating in the gun cupboard over this winter. :good:

IMG135-2.jpg

post-1069-0-55706700-1320585687.jpg

Trigger feels fine to be honest, I can't tell any difference between this gun and my Cynergy nor any of the Beretta guns I have owned in the past(686E or AL391).

The stock is hollow but the balance is still spot on. On my Cynergy the stock is hollow and was a bit barrel heavy so I just put around 300 .22 air rifle pellets in a bag and left this in the stock to balance things up. :good:

I have the older composite version of the maxus and I have not shot it since February - had first go on the clays again at a new club yesterday and shot pretty well-it is so easy to swing I was straight back into it and it showed its ease to use on a stand with very fast high birds overhead and everyone struggled except me as and my maxus and it was my best stand only dropping a couple of birds from the 20

Barrie, are you using 70ml cartridges in yours or smaller? And is the carbon fiber a 3 1/2 chamber? I'm having a few probs with my cammo one cycling the shorter shells. also had a couple of times where it didn't fire :hmm:

Well done on the crows!

Hi CZ,

I have been using Eley HB Pigeon 32G which are 67mm and I used Eley First 67mm 28gm at the clay club last week and have not had a cycling problem yet. My clay shooting buddy tried 65mm shells last week but they would not cycle. On the side of the Maxus it say's its for 2 3/4" - 3" shells.

Before using it I did clean off any of the factory grease and gave the moving parts a light coat of Beretta gun oil. :good:

Hi CZ,

I have been using Eley HB Pigeon 32G which are 67mm and I used Eley First 67mm 28gm at the clay club last week and have not had a cycling problem yet. My clay shooting buddy tried 65mm shells last week but they would not cycle. On the side of the Maxus it say's its for 2 3/4" - 3" shells.

Before using it I did clean off any of the factory grease and gave the moving parts a light coat of Beretta gun oil. :good:

Thanks for the reply! I'm guessing mine is fussy because of the longer chamber.

Cheers again!

• 3 weeks later...

Good choice dude, I bought the same one in Fac from eastern sporting for £945, Ive used mine on the pigeons and even the last 2 weekends on game, pheasants and partirdge, shoots superb, had some very high pigeon shots on the full choke in front of the whole syndicate, who now gee me on to shoot higher and higher lol. I love it, very little recoil and super light!!! :good: :good: :good:

I am still well chuffed with it EE. I haven't patterned it yet but it seems to break the clays better than my Cynergy (both with 1/2 choke), probably because it seems to fit me better.

I much prefer the Maxus rather than the Beretta AL391 I used to have. :good: