Energy drink during a working day

poppythedog

A milk choc mars dont contain enough chocolaite to harm a large dog, a bar of bornville or other dark choc is a very different matter as they contain far higher levels o the bad stuff. Personally i wouldn't though and agree with others, its time for her to take a step back from the frontline now, perhaps a half day etc.

The simple answer is to take some dog food for a mid-day snack.

Chocolate is not magically toxic, its just dogs are more sensitive to the theobromine. I wouldn't aim to give it regularly but if the dog has worked hard it's ok giving a small amount of milk chocolate.

You actually want to give carbohydrate to provide sustained energy, the chocolate bar will give a fast sugar hit that will be used or stored. Carbohydrate is released slowly and sustains work.

Chocolate is not magically toxic, its just dogs are more sensitive to the theobromine. I wouldn't aim to give it regularly but if the dog has worked hard it's ok giving a small amount of milk chocolate.

You actually want to give carbohydrate to provide sustained energy, the chocolate bar will give a fast sugar hit that will be used or stored. Carbohydrate is released slowly and sustains work.

Some Pasta then ?

If she cant last the day, dont make her.

Get her fitter, if she cant get any fitter, then her body's had enough.

Forcing her with energy supplements will probably end up doing more harm than good.

Time for a new pup/ younger dog :hmm:

wise words pushing them too far proves costly later on

Thanks for the answers so far. Just to clarify I have her son as No.2 spaniel & I make him do the majority of the days work (picking up) much to his mother's disgust as she is very much the alpha dog of the pack (we also have a non working Labrador) I only use her for easy, fairly short retrieves, anything running or in thick cover is her son's job.

At present I give them a light snack of their regular food at lunchtime but I want to give her something that will be of more benefit to her without filling her stomach.

She is a fit as they come and as active as any 10yr old could be, I wish I was in as good shape!

Humans get their energy from carbohydrates ,dogs get most of theirs from fats.

I would give the dog an electrolyte drink such as Recharge,which can be bought from greyhound suppliers, a glucose tab would do no harm , failing that honey and water mixed beforehand is a mainstay.At 10 you need to be realistic about the dog's capabilities, and keep a look out for signs of flagging/loss of drive etc.

as apache says food keeps them going better than anything else, mine gets the odd bit as we go along and a small amount at lunch time just to top up. No need at all to pump them with sugar, when they get to 10 often if they are flagging its best to let them just do half a day.

Humans get their energy from carbohydrates ,dogs get most of theirs from fats.

No. In the wild state dogs get most of their energy from deanimation of proteins. All commercial food contain carbohydrate and the dog can use that nicely as an energy source.

I would give the dog an electrolyte drink such as Recharge,which can be bought from greyhound suppliers, a glucose tab would do no harm , failing that honey and water mixed beforehand is a mainstay.

For a 15 minute 'sugar high'? No point. That's how quickly the body will deal with it.

There is no reason not to give something sweet if the dog works so hard it collapses, there is a recognised condition of working dog hypoglyceamia. No point whatsoever giving such things at lunchtime to sustain the dog for the second half of the day.

Basic physiology.

No. In the wild state dogs get most of their energy from deanimation of proteins. All commercial food contain carbohydrate and the dog can use that nicely as an energy source.

For a 15 minute 'sugar high'? No point. That's how quickly the body will deal with it.

There is no reason not to give something sweet if the dog works so hard it collapses, there is a recognised condition of working dog hypoglyceamia. No point whatsoever giving such things at lunchtime to sustain the dog for the second half of the day.

Basic physiology.

So is what I do at the moment i.e. a small amount of their regular food & water at lunch time still the best thing to give them?

Thanks for all the replies.

I was picking up on shoot when it was really hot in Yorkshire the guy i was riding round with had an aditive he mixed with his water.it was something they give greyhounds after they have ran a race,it puts salt and other minerals back into them,dont know wht it was called but he sais it worked a treat