Energy drink during a working day

poppythedog

No. In the wild state dogs get most of their energy from deanimation of proteins. All commercial food contain carbohydrate and the dog can use that nicely as an energy source.

For a 15 minute 'sugar high'? No point. That's how quickly the body will deal with it.

There is no reason not to give something sweet if the dog works so hard it collapses, there is a recognised condition of working dog hypoglyceamia. No point whatsoever giving such things at lunchtime to sustain the dog for the second half of the day.

Basic physiology.

Have you ever used recharge?

Have you ever used recharge?

Personally - no! I did take the effort to find an analysis of the product online so I knew what I was talking about.

5 mL of Recharge contains:

Sodium 0.14g

Potassium 0.15g

Chloride 0.22g

Phosphate 0.09g

Citrate 0.06g

Magnesium 0.02g

Sulfate 0.06g

Glucose 1.3g

In the gut to absorb 2 sodium ions you need 1 glucose molecule, so nearly half the glucose is there purely to allow sodium re-absorption. All the product is, is an electrolyte. There is no real energy boost.

5ml of concentrate provides 1.3g of glucose of which nearly half is used up. The whole bottle provides 65g of glucose, about the same as in a standard Mars bar!

A trick I was told by an old timer & that has worked for a couple of my elder Springers ( that were still mad keen to work obviously & suffered no ill after effects,) was to have a pocket full of barley sugars or custard creams. At an interval at the end of a drive when guns are stood around chatting, give the dog a sweet/biscuit. They are composed of more complicated sugars that will be absorbed slowly, rather than giving an instant sugar boost. Doing this at the end of each drive showed a noticable difference.

Not a miracle cure, but may be worth a try, good luck.