bsa meteor - are they any good?

bicykillgaz

hi,

i've been offered a bsa meteor but i don't really know much about air rifles so not sure whether to bother, its .22 and aparantly its in very good condition just had a service, new spring and seals and comes with a scope too.

i just want to know if there generally a good rifle are they accurate and what are they like for power? it'll be used for hunting rabbit/crow/pigeons so i don't want something thats only good for plinking, the chap selling it said its accurate and fullpower but he would so i thought i'd get some un-bias reviews.

cheers in advance

atb gary

Edited by bicykillgaz

I had and still have the older English built one . Lovely lads rifle and I used it to good effect on alsorts of prey though I think MV was quoted as 500 fps as opposed to 550 fps for the 12 ft lb Mercury etc . The new Spanish Gamo ones are 12 ft lb AND 8ft lb versions and are a very different rifle, I had one and sold it . To me they have the feel of a Cometa or something . Accuracy with open sights was great on the old ones , I think because I used it every day so was quite good.

Sorry not a technical review but I cannot see people using the Gamo versions in 30 or 40 years time like I am my old Meteor . I think if it was as a dedicated hunting tool I would go for something else .The old Meteor is just nice to have , I use it for popping squirrels in traps .

So it depends on which one you are meaning , apples and pears really .

cheers vole,

i'm not sure on the age but i think he's had it a few years so fingers crossed its an earlier version, not sure why i'm worrying though as he's virtually giving me it so either way its no real loss.

he's bringing it to work for me to take a look at before i buy it so i'll ask him a bit more then.

:good:

i think i'll sell it on if its a collectors piece, i'd not want to use it if i thought it could be worth something for fear of damaging it. what sort of price do they usually fetch if in good condition?

Bear in mind there are 1000s still around and that I got mine for £20 from the local rfd as it is a bit knacked . Mint ones might fetch £100 + . Wish had kept my old one which was in great nick . Plenty spare parts for them so guess alot are still used .

• 8 years later...