Off on Holidays

red_stag88

Hello all,

I maybe going off to Florida (no Im not cranners in disguies) I hopefully will be albe to con my parents into letting me b*gger off and do some bass fishing. I know there are lots of types of bass, like larege mouth, so can you give me some advice?

What lb of line, is 10 ok??

What Lures?

Do I need some traces?

Perhpse NTTF, could you help me out, I promise not to make any more poor crappie jokes! ;)

red_stag88, the best advice is, don,t take any fishing tackle with you.

Apart from the obvious risks of breakages and loss (theft), tackle bags can take up your luggage allowance.

Excess luggage charges are no joke, especially when you hear about them as you are checking in, with no chance of leaving anything behind.

As you will probably be fishing from a "fish camp", you can hire (very cheaply) the equipment you need.

It will be the right gear with the lures that are "catching".

Where there is good fish holding water, there will be a "fish camp" nearby.

If you splash out and hire a Guide (recommended for at least half a day), they will supply the tackle.

Don,t forget your fishing licence.

You can get one from 1 day to 1 year.

But you WILL be checked, so don,t forget it. The fines are frightening.

Review your fishing tackle needs before you go and take a shopping list with you.

Reels are about 30-40% cheaper and mono line, braid and fly lines are about 50% cheaper, than you can buy here.

Lures, etc are also much cheaper.

Avoid buying rods, because you still have the damage/theft problem, getting them home.

I know you can transport rods in heavy duty tubes (I do to Ireland), but I have had some damaged and "lost", in previous trans Atlantic trips.

Red Stagg:

Florida this time of year? Even the people that live there try to leave through the summer theres nothing there right now except sun, sand, and bikinis. There are lots of big large mouth bass down that way the warm waters and extented growing seasons combine to produce some hugh fresh water bass. I would probably fish with a 14lb test fusion line, this will give you the 14lb breaking point in a 8lb test diameter. My personal favourite fusion is Fireline you can buy it in smoke grey or light green, very supple, no memorie,and you can detect every thing including a piece of leaf on it. I do not know what the hot baits are down there at presant, but would imagine that the rattle baits and minnow baits are paying off.

If you are going to be near the gulf you can get out deep sea fishing on the charters, or out bone fishing on the flats down by the keys. To find out about licencing and whats in season contact http://www.state.fl.us/fwc . This site will give you fresh water, saltwater, and spearing information.You can also apply for your licences on line through this same site. By the way Gator season opens September first and you are allowed to take two with the proper licencing costs around $1100.00us. You can also obtain a license for taking stone crabs and blue crabs.

After you contact them by computer they will send you out the regs by snail mail if you ask them to, there are the contact numbers for the four differant sections of Florida in the books. If you call the office closest to where you will be they will be able to give you advice on bodies of water to fish, or charters, or guides, etc.

Have fun and watch out for the snakes.

NTTF