Mid life crisis

Dunkield

ooh this is a good one as I know we all suffer form loss at times for one reason or another,

I shoot maintained lead and my gun is mounted in the shoulder and held half way between kill spot and where i expect to see the bird (on clays) this gives me time to see the bird and stay ahead. Working out the right lead to make the kill is not so easy as there is a lot more sky than clay :good:

:good:

It did drop a little last night, 37/50 so that is 74%

Who ever thought of using edge on battues as springing teal :mad: :yp:

Cheers

Martin

you just got to hate those cource setters with an imagination right, we had a pair of rabbits thrown edge on approx 20 yds out falling away left at 35 yds max you had to hit hard with #7-1/2 to break em, dust off a lot but no pcs for a lot of guys, though i did shoot a 356 x 400 for 1st place :good:

Martin

Yes it's that old favourite again, somehow I have got into the terrible habit of doing it, and as a result at times I am shooting worse than I ever :/

So, apart from:

Getting my gun fit re-checked

Getting my weight forward

Having a session with a coach

Having velcro surgically implanted in my cheek

Does anyone have any other suggestions/cures?

Stuart i went through a while like this at the start of the year, and i blamed everything but me. Basic fact was nerves i was thinking of missing before pulling the triger. My advice is be calm, take your time on the target and go back to basics, dont think of missisng, think about the job in hand and the targets will smoke before your eyes! :good::no:

Well I had the lesson, more like a 'check from the neck up' really.

The gun still fits 'like a glove' so that was a relief as i don't need to get it mucked about with, just got get that head down adn pick the birds up a bit earlier. We had a good walk round and ended up hitting all the things I couldn't hit consistantly when I got there. It was expensive but well worth while.

The trouble is, I have shot so many clays this week I am bored of it now and want to do something else :good:

The gun still fits 'like a glove' so that was a relief as i don't need to get it mucked about with, just got get that head down adn pick the birds up a bit earlier. We had a good walk round and ended up hitting all the things I couldn't hit consistantly when I got there. It was expensive but well worth while.

The trouble is, I have shot so many clays this week I am bored of it now and want to do something else :good:

:no:

sounds like you were playing mind games with yourself.

Sometimes its nice to have someone who knows what they are doing standing over you and telling you what you are actually doing wrong. Just the presence of such a person can make you shoot better for some reason.

sounds like you were playing mind games with yourself.

Sometimes its nice to have someone who knows what they are doing standing over you and telling you what you are actually doing wrong. Just the presence of such a person can make you shoot better for some reason.

your right Nick, its good to have someone let you know what you did wrong ,,,, as long as they have the knowledge to tell you how to put it right, how often have you seen someone give advise to a shooter and then miss a bunch of targets straight after, help is great as long as its from a qualified source :no:

Martin

Can't disagree with that Martin..

I stood behind a shooter recently missing a very near looper well in front.

His mate had just shot it and had a much slower swing so he telling the guy now shooting he was behind it.

So he just kept adding more lead and missing more and more in front :good:

One of the positives that also came out of the session was confirmation of what I always beleived, that I have a fair idea of where I am missing when I do it. Each time I missed a clay, before the intructor told me, he asked me where I thought I missed it, and I was always right, even the wabbit which I initially missed in front (95% of shooters are convinced they are behind)

So I am fairly happy I will never be top notch clay shooter, but I could make it as an amateur coach :no:

Can't disagree with that Martin..

I stood behind a shooter recently missing a very near looper well in front.

His mate had just shot it and had a much slower swing so he telling the guy now shooting he was behind it.

So he just kept adding more lead and missing more and more in front :good:

One of the positives that also came out of the session was confirmation of what I always beleived, that I have a fair idea of where I am missing when I do it. Each time I missed a clay, before the intructor told me, he asked me where I thought I missed it, and I was always right, even the wabbit which I initially missed in front (95% of shooters are convinced they are behind)

So I am fairly happy I will never be top notch clay shooter, but I could make it as an amateur coach :no:

i'm not sure why but its become a habbit of talking to myself when im shooting, if i miss i always tell myself where, im not sure why i started doing it, but my instructor down at greenfields didnt like it because 75% of the time all he could do was agree :no:

I think alot of shooters know where they are missing they just struggle to actually change the amount of lead on the target or change their stance/feet to aid in breaking the target.

I think alot of shooters know where they are missing they just struggle to actually change the amount of lead on the target or change their stance/feet to aid in breaking the target.

Actually being a coach is probably quite boring, how many times a day do they have to say "OK so you missed it behind again, now try missing it in front for a change" :good:

Actually being a coach is probably quite boring, how many times a day do they have to say "OK so you missed it behind again, now try missing it in front for a change" :good:

Stuartp

How much was "expensive" and did you thingk it was worth it, and where did you do it.

I have moved from my O/U to a berretta auto and I am not getting on with it as well as I hoped. Am thinking of taken the O/U out again to see if its me or the gun.

Dont want to go back to the o/u for clays as the auto is to be my wildfowling and clays gun, so if I can't hit clays with it I dont want to try to use it for wildfowling if I dont have the confidence in it.

Cheers

Trev

The going rate for an hours tuition is between £40 and £50 it depends alot on who the instructor is and where you go for instruction.

i was lucky enough to get my lesson thrown in with the new gun, and although my technique didnt actually require much changing so he didnt actually make me change much, it was nice, as i said earlier, to have someone who actually knew where i was missing. And could identify why this might be (its not always because your ahead or behind) in my case i missed alot of birds because i ran out of swing due to poor foot placement and being behind was a result of this.

It was worth doing, and i will probably go back at some point in a few months time for the lesson which teaches some of the finer points.

Actually being a coach is probably quite boring, how many times a day do they have to say "OK so you missed it behind again, now try missing it in front for a change" :P

your quite right there Stuartp, its been many a frustrating time spent with student/junior/novice shooters where the call is "your about 3ft behind" :/ ,,,,, bang,,,,,, " your still 3ft behind" :no: ,,,,,,, bang ,,,, " what part about the words coming out of my mouth dont you understand " :good: ,,,,

or the one's i like the most.

" i shot right at it , why didnt it break, what happened " :P reply " you missed again " :/

bang,,,,,, " where was i " :no: " i was sure i was all over that one " reply " no you wernt "

there are so many, eg i was shooting this weekend, down in Carstairs with a new shooter, who actualy shot rather well, being a lefty like myself i took a large interest in his style, not bad altogether, that untill we came to a stand with a true pair, the first coming right to left quartering away, from over the shoulder behind the trees with the afterburners lit pick up point approx 45 yds , the second a crossing bird again R to L lazy speed and falling fast at approx 30 yds , i went first and ran the stand 8 targets, he came third watching the guy before closely, he promtly missed every bird, i was shocked at the lack of attention payed by him to me, i asked what happened, he replyed the guy in front hit 7 i figured if i did the same it was ok, my buddy who followed is right handed :no: why he thought he could copy was beyond me, i took him back to the station after the shoot and had him follow me, i told him to watch, i shot 2 pair then had him shoot, he did what he was told and hit 6 of 8 birds some chippy but hits none the less, certanly cheered him up anyway, its funny the way some people attack stations independant of anything or body blinkered and blind at times.

Martin

Stuartp

How much was "expensive" and did you thingk it was worth it, and where did you do it.

I have moved from my O/U to a berretta auto and I am not getting on with it as well as I hoped. Am thinking of taken the O/U out again to see if its me or the gun.

Dont want to go back to the o/u for clays as the auto is to be my wildfowling and clays gun, so if I can't hit clays with it I dont want to try to use it for wildfowling if I dont have the confidence in it.

Cheers

Trev

Trev,

'Expensive' is £80, and I went to West Wycombe, or E J Churchill as it is known these days, and yes it was worth it - but it isn't something I would do very often.

I wouldn't go to just anyone for a lesson, so to justify it to myself it had to be somone good, so round my way that was them or West London.

You can have a round at Churchills with a caddy who invariably will be a decent shot who will give you some guidance but they are obviously wary of people using that as a cut price lesson.

If you can stuff with one gun and not the other, it will either be balance or more likely fit, so it worth ruling out the basics rather than having someone else do that for you at a price - a full gun fit will set you back £80 or so as well.

" i shot right at it , why didnt it break, what happened " :no: reply " you missed again " :no:

:no: or as a decent shot who was stood behind me once said "until they make clays that fly backwards you can aim there all day and never hit that" :good: