Hodnet Challenge 2011

Nicky T

Don't know if this is the right or wrong answer, I went out the other day and was rubbish in the morning, so later on picked a easier stand and got 25 out 25. It got my confidance back up and shot well in the afternoon.

So I would say use the easier grounds to build your confidance, but go to the better grounds as they bring out the challanges and gives you the experiance you need to climb the divisions if you want to get classified.

I just shoot for the enjoyment of the clays, I do regualy shoot at the west mids shooting ground and while I have not shot in the competitions have shot some of the stands afterwoods. Tom puts on a good varaity of stands which encourages one to learn and the people who go there are also very helpful with good advice ho to shoot the stands better.

Hi and thanks for your reply.

I can understand the bit about building confidence, particularly if you have recently gone through a bad patch, but the post which prompted my question made it seem as if some shooters just use so-called "easy" grounds in order to boost their standing, which sort of seems counter productive to me due to the fact that the next time they shoot a "shoulder to shoulder" match, their scores will reflect their true ability. A bit like cheating at a postal competition only to be exposed at a live match.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as i can tell in my limited time shooting registered shoots, unless you are already at AA+ standard, there is no such thing as an easy ground. I can fully understand why shooters of the calibre of Ed (Solomons) must get frustrated at the targets presented in everday registered shoots. It must be a fine line for grounds to tread, trying to make a shoot competetive for top class shooters and hittable for us mere mortals, thus keeping people paying to enter.

In answer to your question, using "easy" shoots to bolster your class would be purely for vanity, and would not help you to achieve anything more than a slightly better letter against your name on the CPSA website. I can't really see the point as it's not a true reflection of your ability.

Test yourself and you will improve, this way at least you'll know for sure the level of your ability. I've seen my average score rise over the last 8 months or so, made up from various registered events including the British open. That didn't look a tough shoot but I don't recall any of the people I shoot with putting in a particulary good score. No doubt they'll correct me on that :hmm:

To sum up, in my opinion, and I emphasise it's only my opinion, I would get out and shoot as many grounds as you can and get a class you can compete anywhere with. :good:

That makes more sense to me. I haven't got a class and I think it will be quite some time before the issue is relevant to my ability. I don't even know which way to point a shotgun yet, let alone worry about AA A B C class etc. :lol:

To sum up, in my opinion, and I emphasise it's only my opinion, I would get out and shoot as many grounds as you can and get a class you can compete anywhere with. :good:

Bang on really. Averages can within reason be altered very easily to either get a higher class, or a lower class, depending on which way you want to progress.

The best way to push yourself forwards is to shoot as many grounds as possible, making a point of visiting the ones you struggle with more often than the ones you are comfortable at. You get better by making mistakes, highlighting them and working on them so you raise your game up. A soft round can give you a pat on the back but that only lasts for a short period of time, and if done regularly damages your overall game. Plus of course, everyone else finds it easier, so all the scores go up, then you have less margin of error to win. A vicious cycle that is as broad as it is long. Ooh err.

Thanks Ed, so it's pretty much as I thought, a bit of a folly just to build up your average on one or two "easy" (if only there were such a thing at my level) grounds.

Thank you all for your replies.

All the best

Bob

It was not a soft shoot, a few good experienced shots struggled today, so well done.

I thought it was a very good layout, as per usual for Hodnet.

The shoot results will be here Linky under the tab ‘shooting ground’ ----> ‘results’ but only the 2010 ones are listed at the moment so you will have to keep checking.

:good:

It was not a soft shoot, a few good experienced shots struggled today, so well done.

I thought it was a very good layout, as per usual for Hodnet.

The shoot results will be here Linky under the tab ‘shooting ground’ ----> ‘results’ but only the 2010 ones are listed at the moment so you will have to keep checking.

:good:

Thanks Timps :good: Had just had a flick through their site and missed it completely!

I'll give myself a pat on the back for 65 then - makes my 49 at Kegworth on Wednesday seem a bit silly! :o

Come on Report please required from the Manchester Mafia and who got High Gun etc etc. from Auntie.

Not a good start for me Aunty I got 2 on the first stand but was in fact only given 1 when I looked at my card back at the club house, classic case of first standitus for me, should have done the pool shoot first. :lol:

Just not there at the start and a very stroppy moment later on from me when I was stopped from shooting in the stand by about 15 shooters all wanting their cards remarked costing me a few due to not calming down after they left. :oops:

But despite that it was a great day, good targets but a bit wet at the end.

Scores in our squad were, Nick T 80, timps (77) 76, canthitathing 73, Whiskymac 71, Chard 70, Anni 67.

Cannot remember the rest of our squads scores :no::good:

Come on Report please required from the Manchester Mafia and who got High Gun etc etc. from Auntie.

Fortunately Auntie I'm not part of the Manc Massive and am in fact from the Right side of the Pennines :yes: It was a top shoot as seems to be the norm at Hodnet. Nothing silly, but well laid out unusual targets that kept you thinking :hmm: . Shame you weren't there but at least you avoided another Hodnet style soaking :lol:

Shame about the company though :hmm: A pedantic old bloke prattling on about checking our classifications and Timps with his snap cap habit :D I did beat Anni though (AGAIN :D )just in case I haven't mentioned it :lol:

Like Timps I can't remember the other scores, I was just pleased I beat Chris, or have I mentioned that already :D

I started on stand 1 and immediately went downhill - never did recover from that -- worst stand was 9 up top of hill - think we waited 45 min - I was cold and wet and hit 2x8 - all life was lost and crawled in like a drowned rat with 71. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Was lifting to see the mafia's smiling faces though - probably the highlight of my dismal day. :rolleyes:

Dave