subaru Impreza

Fuji Shooter

Been thinking of replacing our Disco for a while as our Lab is unable to get in and refuses to use a ramp. Started looking at 4wd estates as it seemed an ideal solution for hay and stuff.

Found out a neighbour is selling his Impreza Wagon which he has owned from new 2000MY. Been serviced every 4000 miles and looks as good as new, totally original spec.

Apart from being group 17 insurance what are they like to live with. For some reason can't bring myself to buy a Volvo just yet.

I've had two Impreza's, a 2001 UK300 (number 64) and a 1999 RB5 WR Edition (number 320). Absolutely brilliant cars, not the cheapest to run, they love the fuel and they love being driven "enthusiastically".

If your neighbours has been serviced every 4K then that's a very good sign, servicing on mine wasn't especially expensive and both cars were 100% reliable (even after a number of Prodrive upgrades).

Not many mint 'classic' examples left, I can't recommend them enough (I wish I'd kept one if not both of them!)

Subaru ownership comes at a price, can you say yes to some or all of the below:

Are you mid Forties or circa mid life crisis territory?

Do you have a hankering for "hanging out" at your local McDonalds car park on a Saturday night?

Do you like plastic cars with cheap interiors?

Is now the time in your life for a tattoo, highlights and a hoop ear ring?

Do you think that pearlescent paint, over sized spoilers and bonnet scoops are cool?

Does your wardrobe contain a jacket from a Rally team and some stone washed denim?

Do you think that normal seatbelts are under-rated and a full roll cage and harnesses is a better idea?

Are you bored of your normal car noise and do you think that the WOOOOOOSH of a dump valve is a bird puller?

Do you have a very small manhood?

Do you prefer to talk in serial and part numbers than proper English?

Do you own a Burberry baseball cap?

Do you walk with a "Swagga"?

Do you own a shell suit?

Is you car criteria like your sex life, all about off the line speed and lacking in quality?

Last question -

Are you going to buy a Subaru knowing that everyone will think that you have done the thought process and that you answered YES to all the above? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

get a reno alpine turbo 2 with twin t5 garad turbos, a real wolf in sheeps clothing.

suberwho.

driven by people that need to be looked at (thats what they want) and boy do they need looking at.

they may be fast but the only thing that they will never pass on the motorway is.

a petrol station.

bob.

had a volvo v60.................... never again what a heap of poo.

so we can't afford a car so we got a ford. and we love it, does what it says it does on the tin and some, keeps the wife and kids/dog happy. )

I've had two Impreza's, a 2001 UK300 (number 64) and a 1999 RB5 WR Edition (number 320). Absolutely brilliant cars, not the cheapest to run, they love the fuel and they love being driven "enthusiastically".

If your neighbours has been serviced every 4K then that's a very good sign, servicing on mine wasn't especially expensive and both cars were 100% reliable (even after a number of Prodrive upgrades).

Not many mint 'classic' examples left, I can't recommend them enough (I wish I'd kept one if not both of them!)

Wifey has a 2001 UK300 number 81.

She loves it, they do drive well, but are expensive on the old push water. but then no worse than my ranger or sportrak. all around mid low 20's mpg.

The forrester possibly sounds more usefull to you though and they are a bin full of notes cheaper to buy.

As said above they do come across a bit chavy mate. BUT if they been looked after they do go forever. my mate has a 3 year ok volvo estate. its diesel, goes like stink and is awesome on fuel. Is a stunning car def not the old man car some people think they are. highly recommend one mate. :)

Had a WRX new in 2004... went very fast (gets boring after a while) and was very expensive on fuel... no worse than my jeep CRD (which is thirsty for a diesel) but not as practical.

Reliable? yes... sort of... mine was one of the first WRXs which had the inverted struts taken from the STi which were replaced 4 times in 2 years under warranty!!! otherwise no problems..

Personally I think the wagon is one of the ugliest estate cars ever made.. Also impractical... look very carefully at how much luggage (dog) space you actually get, it's designed to take a few jerry cans of spare fuel and not much more!

You WILL be labeled chav..

The only other thing I would say is they should carry a driving licence health warning... They go soooo fast sooo easily, you WILL forget yourself and end up significantly breaking the speed limit everywhere (I don't care how careful & conciencious driver you are.. this is a truism!) and on top of that, you may as well paint a big target on yourself and fit general lee air horns so that you can set them off evry time you go past a traffic cop!

Otherwise.... great motor.. perfect mid life crisis machine! :good: I sold mine when my fuel bills started approaching £1,000 a month, sawpped it for an Audi A6 and they dropped by £600 overnight :good:

Been thinking of replacing our Disco for a while as our Lab is unable to get in and refuses to use a ramp. Started looking at 4wd estates as it seemed an ideal solution for hay and stuff.

Found out a neighbour is selling his Impreza Wagon which he has owned from new 2000MY. Been serviced every 4000 miles and looks as good as new, totally original spec.

Apart from being group 17 insurance what are they like to live with. For some reason can't bring myself to buy a Volvo just yet.

I run the Forester Turbo which is basically the same mecanically. The small engine jobs are a poor buy they still drink fuel and gutless. Reliability and toughness is top notch, my forester has driven to hell and back a few times and clocked 140k from when i bought it new about ten years back. Don't ever get a Volvo they cost the earth to fix and break a lot from my past experiance. people say Scoobies are dear on bits but i havent ever found that indeed mostly its a pleasant suprise.

Only downside is they eat tyres and drink petrol just for kicks

Thanks for everyones advice - I'll give it a miss then. I only considered it as it was 1 owner from new with a full Subaru service history with a stamp every 4000 miles.

Also I know the guy removed the wheels every couple of months so he can clean behind. Cheap at only £2K and you don't have to worry about scratching or bashing it.

Everyone says that they use petrol but they would not use as much as the V8 Disco. Also for mid life crisis I bought a Caterham Fireblade so a Scooby would be dog slow compared.

Thanks for everyones advice - I'll give it a miss then. I only considered it as it was 1 owner from new with a full Subaru service history with a stamp every 4000 miles.

Also I know the guy removed the wheels every couple of months so he can clean behind. Cheap at only £2K and you don't have to worry about scratching or bashing it.

Everyone says that they use petrol but they would not use as much as the V8 Disco. Also for mid life crisis I bought a Caterham Fireblade so a Scooby would be dog slow compared.

You can however buy a lot of tyres and fuel with the cost of a good reliable well serviced motor at only 2k

I have had two Impreza's and a Forester in the last 10 years. The first was a WRX with lots of Prodrive goodies :good: , faultless in the three years. Then had a WR1 for three years :good::D (17-18mpg on a good day :blink: ), also faultless. Then had a Forester XTen for four years, no problems with that also.

I would say though, try and get someone who knows Subaru's to have a look first (piston slap. bottom end knocking), because repair bills can be shocking :look: :o .

Don't be put off by people's opinions calling them chav cars. For off road the four wheel drive will be superb and there very well built. Some people are scared off having a car thats that's not your average boring family car so they can slag them off from the cover of being a mainstream sheep telling u there ford vauxhall or French piece of **** is the way to go. Subaru origins in this country are from tractor dealers importing them to sell to farmers and the like for there workhorse ability and build quality. Don't always follow the crowd mate