look at this you will drool!!

semiautolee

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4,200 birds divided by 7 shooters = 600 birds each.

Would a shoulder take that sort of punishment and still work?

Looking at the 2nd picture I'd imagine that each shot would drop a few birds at a time, I bet they haven't even shot 300 carts each for that bag. Not for me :(

Edited by Wildfowler12

Doesn't make me drool :no: A red letter day is one thing, something to dream of, but that pic is mass slaughter and whilst it might be neccesary crop protection, personally it wouldn't float my boat :no::no:

I am with you it does nothing for me and I would think the actual shooting is more like being tortured than a enjoyable day out :oops:

A colleague and friend went Dove shooting to Cordoba a couple of seasons back and 2 of them shot over 2000 doves in one morning.!

At the end of the first day they were apparently throwing stones at them as it was more sporting ! It was apparently almost impossible to taget a bird and with heavy laods and open chokes just blindly fired into the whirrling masses bringing down several birds per cartridge.

Their 14 day shooting Holiday was curtailed after day 3 and not being short of a few bob they Detoured to Brazil for the remaining 9 days and led on the beach at Copacabanna watching other birds go by.

I'll stick to the 20 or 30 n a cold day, Flask of Chicken soup, Hot Bath and evening in the Pub thanks.. Thtas a real day out shooting. :lol:

If these pics draw these kinds of responses from us, just imagine the repulsion they would raise in ordinary folk.

I can't say it doesn't appeal to me at all, I'd love a hol in one of these destinations where I could shoot 400-500 in a day, but heaped in mini mounds like that :no: . Like Fisherman Mike said, a few hard won over decoys is something else altogether.

A colleague and friend went Dove shooting to Cordoba a couple of seasons back and 2 of them shot over 2000 doves in one morning.!

At the end of the first day they were apparently throwing stones at them as it was more sporting ! It was apparently almost impossible to taget a bird and with heavy laods and open chokes just blindly fired into the whirrling masses bringing down several birds per cartridge.

Their 14 day shooting Holiday was curtailed after day 3 and not being short of a few bob they Detoured to Brazil for the remaining 9 days and led on the beach at Copacabanna watching other birds go by.

I'll stick to the 20 or 30 n a cold day, Flask of Chicken soup, Hot Bath and evening in the Pub thanks.. Thtas a real day out shooting. :lol:

You havnt seen the none feathered birds in Cordoba, been there a few times (not shooting) and they are stunning, so you can keep your flask of soup I would be out there watching the birds go by.. :D

A few of my friends shoot in South America every year. I have had more than a few opportunities to go with them. I just can't see that much killing, even in the name of pest control. They used to make a show of collecting large numbers of dead doves to give to the locals for their dinner. It was all for show. The birds are all either left in the field or dumped somewhere. I don't have a problem with others shooting pests but I don't shoot anything anymore that I'm not going to eat. I'm past killing living things for target practice. I realize that in many instances it might be helpful, but.....it's not for me anymore. There is plenty of game where I live and it's all very tasty.

Here's a pic of a Ruffed Grouse shot in the mountains of Virginia. Best tasting bird you will ever eat.

DSCN0395.jpg

Edited by Mike Connally

A few of my friends shoot in South America every year. I have had more than a few opportunities to go with them. I just can't see that much killing, even in the name of pest control. They used to make a show of collecting large numbers of dead doves to give to the locals for their dinner. It was all for show. The birds are all either left in the field or dumped somewhere. I don't have a problem with others shooting pests but I don't shoot anything anymore that I'm not going to eat. I'm past killing living things for target practice. I realize that in many instances it might be helpful, but.....it's not for me anymore. There is plenty of game where I live and it's all very tasty.

Here's a pic of a Ruffed Grouse shot in the mountains of Virginia. Best tasting bird you will ever eat.

DSCN0395.jpg

I've just googled them, fine looking birds they are too. :good:

Thats not sporting shooting :no: :no: Thats an exercise in "controlling numbers" if that sort of shooting floats your boat :o crack on, not for me im afraid :no: :no: BB

Erm, 'controlling numbers' aka crop protection, is the legal reason you can shoot pigeons in this country, 'good sport' is not, and if thats the only reason you're shooting pigeons you are technically in breach of the terms of the General Licence. :sly:

As i have no idea why so many birds were shot i can't really comment on the pictures. If they have a (very) serious problem with pigeons regarding crops or public health then i have no problem whatsoever with how many they've killed, it would be hypocritical to think otherwise. If however the birds have been specifically bred for this kind of mass slaughter, then it's pretty disgusting.

Mark