Electronic Ear Defenders

Hi,

I’m in the market for some electronic ear defenders I’ve had a look at a couple but was wondering if any of you had some? and if so what sort? and what you thought of them?

I’ve looked at the Deben ones ( thought I saw a link on here to them for about £70 ish but can’t find the link!)

I’ve also looked at the Napier ones, on the plus side they are rechargeable but are more money.

Also anyone recommend somewhere that is competitive on the price of them?

I’ve tried the push in ear ones but just can’t get on with them very well. :good:

Thanks

Hi,

I’m in the market for some electronic ear defenders I’ve had a look at a couple but was wondering if any of you had some? and if so what sort? and what you thought of them?

I’ve looked at the Deben ones ( thought I saw a link on here to them for about £70 ish but can’t find the link!)

I’ve also looked at the Napier ones, on the plus side they are rechargeable but are more money.

Also anyone recommend somewhere that is competitive on the price of them?

I’ve tried the push in ear ones but just can’t get on with them very well. :good:

Thanks

I may have mentioned this before on another thread, but here goes anyway. We have a bloke that comes to our clay pigeon shoot who reviews guns and stuff for a magazine. He always brings interesting things, new guns and ear defenders have featured a lot lately. He has brought allsorts and the best performing ones were the Peltor swat/tac. Not only did they deaden the loud bang, not suffer from wind noise (even with your head out the window of a moderately paced landy) but you could turn the sound up and hear people whispering at an sbsurd distance (ducks?). They are however hugely expensive @ around £250 +. There were some in the shooting gazette magazine that looked very similar for £175 called Talking Headsets. On our shoot we have people that use electronic ones by Napier, Deben and the cheaper peltor ones, they all seem to work equally as well as one another. Personally I like the idea of the rechargable ones. Just make sure you buy some that are slim at the bottom of the ear cup so that they do not interfere with your gunmount. The napier appear to be about the slimmest to me!

Ft

Edit; Just googled and found these on offer.

http://www.avalon-shop.co.uk/shop/index.ph...products_id=198

Thanks

I may have mentioned this before on another thread, but here goes anyway. We have a bloke that comes to our clay pigeon shoot who reviews guns and stuff for a magazine. He always brings interesting things, new guns and ear defenders have featured a lot lately. He has brought allsorts and the best performing ones were the Peltor swat/tac. Not only did they deaden the loud bang, not suffer from wind noise (even with your head out the window of a moderately paced landy) but you could turn the sound up and hear people whispering at an sbsurd distance (ducks?). They are however hugely expensive @ around £250 +. There were some in the shooting gazette magazine that looked very similar for £175 called Talking Headsets. On our shoot we have people that use electronic ones by Napier, Deben and the cheaper peltor ones, they all seem to work equally as well as one another. Personally I like the idea of the rechargable ones. Just make sure you buy some that are slim at the bottom of the ear cup so that they do not interfere with your gunmount. The napier appear to be about the slimmest to me!

Ft

Edit; Just googled and found these on offer.

http://www.avalon-shop.co.uk/shop/index.ph...products_id=198

Thanks flytie.

I’ve been in contact with a company called Aero who import peltor they said that they don’t make a headset called SWAT Tac they make a Sport tac for shooting RRP £89.20 could that be them? :good: Have a look at the link!

http://www.peltor.se/int/Product.asp?Product_Id=34

Thanks

Sloter, the ones my mate had are the Swat/tac Com Tac ones. If you look at the link he had the green ones. I will ask Richard who gave them to him to try.

http://www.botac.com/pelcomtac.html

Ft

Edit; Just been on cabela's and seen these, might be good if you're prepared to take a chance on the Customs?!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...0801&id=0012827

I read a review of electronic ear defenders and they really liked the Peltor Comtac, but the Sportac which are a lot cheaper (£89?) also got really good marks.

I like the Deben ones that I use, you sometimes hear some wind noise, but they're not too bad.

Chris

I like the idea of the electronic ear defenders to save standing in a field at 5.00 a.m. trying to be really quiet but shouting a conversation at eachother.

However, most of the ear defenders I have seen / used all have a PVC coated ear muff which get really sweaty after a while.

So, to recap, does anyone know of a:

1. good performing electronic ear defender

2. that is reasonabley priced

3. that won't interfer with mounting the gun

4. that won't make your ears go sweaty

I like the idea of the electronic ear defenders to save standing in a field at 5.00 a.m. trying to be really quiet but shouting a conversation at eachother.

However, most of the ear defenders I have seen / used all have a PVC coated ear muff which get really sweaty after a while.

So, to recap, does anyone know of a:

1. good performing electronic ear defender

2. that is reasonabley priced

3. that won't interfer with mounting the gun

4. that won't make your ears go sweaty

1. Any of the mid price range ones are pretty good, Napier, peltor or Deben.

2. Ditto.

3. I think the napier ones are the slimmest so will interfere least with your gun mount.

4. Sweaty ears are your own problem! :angry:

Three out of four ain't bad :rolleyes:

Ft

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If anyone is interested in probably the best shooting / hunting ear protection available, I know of a supplier doing the Peltor Sport-Tac for £97.50 inc / delivered.

Check them out HERE and download a brochure from here.

Just been looking for what seem to be the best you can get, and this is a very keen price indeed. My local gunshop could not get within £45 of this price, I see them on ebay for "buy it now" of £104 + £6.50 postage (plus paypal fees) which was the previous lowest price.

I know we can't advertise other suppliers on here, I checked and the sponsors don't carry this product so I don't think I am breaking any rules here. PM me for details if you are interested.

I've got Deben Slim Electronic Protection for hearing protection. I've used them turned on for shooting clays and they work brilliantly. I've used them swtiched off for doing a bit of patterning on my own and I absolutely love them to bits. No more ringing in my ears thank god. Now I've not compared them to anything else but they're good enough for me for definite and I wouldn't hesitate to reccommend them to anyone else :good:

John

• 1 year later...

Old thread but would like to add have got a pair of the Howard Leight electronic ear muffs from Cabelas IMO brilliant. No probs with customs step son brought them back after visit to states. But there only $60 so they would still be cheap and worth it if customs was 50%

The Napier Electronics at £129-00 are a rebranded import. Exactly the same are distributed by Nickerson for £79-00, and they are available under the manufacturers brand of HBS Electronics for £49-00.

So, whatever you decide on, its worth looking around for cloned branding, as all this stuff is made in the East regardless of what the brand and packing says.

The best by far of the slim ones are Peltor SportTac. The over all best are the Pelto Tactical XP, but they are too thick in my opinion.

As you probably do not know, Peltor is the Swedish company which invented the electronic ear muffs and they are still the market leader. The founders of Peltor (Pelle and Tore were their first names) first constructed earphones for fighter pilots which had radio connection in them so they shut out the noise from the engine and at the same time promoted the sound from the radio. They were first in this and the year was 1950. Then an engeneer in the iron mines in Lapland wanted something that took out the sound from drills and trucks, but still made it possible to hear a shout if something dangerous was happening. He joined Peltor and together they constructed the first electronic ear muffs some 25 years ago.

The same engineer, Bjorn Jakobson is his name and he is still active, has now improved Peltor's muffs considerably by inventing a new chip which does not cut off loud nois directly, but smoothly in four very fast steps, The SporTac were the first muffs with the new chip. They may have it in more models now, but only Peltor has this chip.

A couple of other good things with Peltor SportTac is that you change the outer shell easily. You get two different colurs when you buy the muffs. They come in olive, camo, orange and bright red. So when shooting clays och stalking, you use the orange shells and when bird shooting the camo or olive ones. Furtermore, the most common reason for malfunction in ordinary muffs is that sweat penetrates into the electric circuits and makes them malfunktion or destroys them completely. This is not possible to avoid if the construction opens on the inside (the side of the ear) when you change batteries. The SportTac is sweat tight from the inside and you swop battries from the outside as easy as you change the coloured shells.

Everybody should use electronic ear pads! Some people think they are expensive, but is your hearing not wort a hundred quid or so! Don't be stupid. If you can pour out money on guns, scopes, petrol and beer in the Pub, why can't you afford to save your hearing? I have used electronic pads when shooting (even game and pigeons and when stalking) for 15 years and if I forget to put them on I immediately feel something is wrong till I realise I have forgotten my muffs. Just go and get you a pair, but remember that the cheap ones are cheap because they are no good. What use are they if they don't let through too many decibels and you cannot hear from which angle the ducks come in?

http://www.peltor.se/int/Page.asp?Pagenumber=142

Edited by Sten Ch

Has anyone seen the small electronic ones?

They are around the same size as the foam that you squeze into the ear, however electronic so reusable time after time.

I saw them in sport shooting magazine, didnt state price but im guessing quite expensive as they looked quite hi-tech.

they may have already been mentioned here, however i dont know the proper name for them, if that is the case im sorry, ill ahve a look tonigth and post details on em though.

:good: :good:

• 4 weeks later...
Has anyone seen the small electronic ones?

They are around the same size as the foam that you squeze into the ear, however electronic so reusable time after time.

I saw them in sport shooting magazine, didnt state price but im guessing quite expensive as they looked quite hi-tech.

they may have already been mentioned here, however i dont know the proper name for them, if that is the case im sorry, ill ahve a look tonigth and post details on em though.

:good:???

I was shooting in Singapore for a year so over the ears mufflers were out too hot . I went for a pair of Puretone CENS devices made to measure in the ear jobbies, they are great, I could hear the lead shot hitting the far fence over two hundred meters away, Eagles screeching and no wind noise, two settings for clay shooting / hunting, down side not cheap !.. google Puretone cens for more info.

M.

• 3 weeks later...