Which 12g Cartridge for Fox?

OK Guys, here is a simple question that should be easy enough to answer, even though I appreciate that I will get "varying" answers.

I have been asked to deal with a bit of a "problem fox" but the lay of the land and the location (In respect to other buildings and livestock) means that I will not be able to use my .243 rifle as I do not think I would be able to get a "safe shot" with suitable backstop etc. With this in mind I am hoping to use a shotgun - I can hide up in a farm building within about 30 yards of where I would like to "nail" this fox so range is not a problem for a "Humane kill with the shotgun!.

My question is: What shot size and choke is the best for dealing with a fox at around 30 yards range when considering pattern, penetration, etc?

Maybe I should add that my gun is capable of taking 3 inch cartridges and that I have a 1/2 choke and a "Full" choke available for my Semi Auto which is what I would be using!

What are your thoughts please?

Edit: Maybe I should add that even though I could think about using the 17HMR it is not "conditioned" for fox so I do not want to jeprodise my FAC - And because of the farm cats and dogs a live capture trap is out of the question!

Edited by Frenchieboy

For a 3" shell i use Lyvale Express "magnum max Game" 46grm No1. Choke wise it aint going to matter much if you wack them side on in the ribs or neck even with you half or full they will be equally dead, i have done them further than this with Improved fitted on occasions but the shot needs to be well chosen. Its worth just trying a few on paper first though, likewise if you aint used to actually aiming at a staitionary target you might actually miss if you are not sure were your gun shoots when actually aimed (common shots over baits etc).

I often use a 63 grm load of 3 1/2" BB but cant say they would be any deader at 30yds using these over the above load :good:

Use the gun you shoot best it makes no matter

Edited by kent

2 3/4"

Eley Alphamax 42g BB

Express Super Game 42g No.1

Fiocchi Semi-Magnum 42g BB

RC 40 Semi-Magnum 40g No.2

3"

Express Max Game 50g BB / No.1

RC 50 Magnum 50g BB / No.2

Fiocchi Magnum 52g BB

Gamebore Mammouth Magnum 50g BB

All great cart's, producing good kills for me

Personally i wouldn't use anything over 3/4 choke. In my O/U i like using 1/2 in the bottom barrel and 3/4 in the top, but with my semi-auto i cant do anything with the 3/4 choke in, so i use 1/2 choke and i've had good results with it so far

Good luck

I would use the tightest choke you can get, so a full choke. As the fox is likely to be standing or walking so there shouldn't be a problem with the shot being 'tight'.

I use varied loads for foxes depending on the situation. If it is driven foxes I will use 3 inch magnum number 2's in 42g. If it is shooting foxes bolting from holes then normally number 3 or 4's as the fox is generally quite close. On the few occasions where I have used the shotgun while lamping I will use the largest shot I can get the hold off.

With a full choke and BB's or no.1's you will be able to push the shot out a bit further than 30 yards.

get someone with an hmr and the right condition to do it ;)

failing that think twice how big the shot will be if you are shooting on a hard surface round buildings as BB's and larger can ricochet especially if its a concrete yard. At 30 yards most 12b loads will do I'd go for 3's in a reasonably heavy load

• 1 month later...

OK Guys, here is a simple question that should be easy enough to answer, even though I appreciate that I will get "varying" answers.

I have been asked to deal with a bit of a "problem fox" but the lay of the land and the location (In respect to other buildings and livestock) means that I will not be able to use my .243 rifle as I do not think I would be able to get a "safe shot" with suitable backstop etc. With this in mind I am hoping to use a shotgun - I can hide up in a farm building within about 30 yards of where I would like to "nail" this fox so range is not a problem for a "Humane kill with the shotgun!.

My question is: What shot size and choke is the best for dealing with a fox at around 30 yards range when considering pattern, penetration, etc?

Maybe I should add that my gun is capable of taking 3 inch cartridges and that I have a 1/2 choke and a "Full" choke available for my Semi Auto which is what I would be using!

What are your thoughts please?

Edit: Maybe I should add that even though I could think about using the 17HMR it is not "conditioned" for fox so I do not want to jeprodise my FAC - And because of the farm cats and dogs a live capture trap is out of the question!

Now then Frenchieboy have you sorted the problem fox out yet mate ???:shoot:

solway 3" 50g no3's for me they pattern really well at 30yrds through 1/2 or 3/4, too be fair though mate at 30yrds you could do it with 32g no5's with a tight choke :good:

+1 for me an ordinary 32g cartridge with 4,5, or even 6s will do it at 30yds with an instant second shot as follow up to be humaine (just for safety, it shouldn't be needed).However BB or 1 shot would be better if you have them

But the real trick is to have a practice shot or two in advance so you know where the centre of the pattern is going. Aimed shots with a shotgun can go notoriously high and you don't want to put the bulk of the shot over his back into fresh air

Edited by Vince Green

Now then Frenchieboy have you sorted the problem fox out yet mate ???:shoot:

Sorry for not replying earlier, I am now trying to keep replies/posts from myself to a minimum!

Yes, the fox concerned has been "dealt with" I baited a spot some 20 yards from my shooting position, used the clock to check it's timing and took it out using just one Alphamax SG through Full Choke! I did have a fullow up shot ready but as there was not even a twitch after the first shot it was not needed.

The boned tail was given to the farmer!

I did not bother with any photos or video as I no longer feel any need to "glorify death" in this way. (I don't however have any problems with anyone that does want to photograph any of their quarry - Everyone to their own!)

Sorry for not replying earlier, I am now trying to keep replies/posts from myself to a minimum!

Yes, the fox concerned has been "dealt with" I baited a spot some 20 yards from my shooting position, used the clock to check it's timing and took it out using just one Alphamax SG through Full Choke! I did have a fullow up shot ready but as there was not even a twitch after the first shot it was not needed.

The boned tail was given to the farmer!

I did not bother with any photos or video as I no longer feel any need to "glorify death" in this way. (I don't however have any problems with anyone that does want to photograph any of their quarry - Everyone to their own!)

That would sort him out mate :good: :good:

As someone who has never shot the heavy loads such as the 46,48 & 50 gram loads dont these things kick like a mule and put a hell of a lot of stress on the gun esp a over and under where the full force is up the

barrel, at least a semi would reduce the kick and sofen the recoil ?

And with shot as big as SG isnt there a worry of ricochet ?

Granted not all shot will hit the quarry but still 50gram of shot is the equivelant of :

50 grams = 771.617918 grains....... Now thats a fair impact !

50gram of BB / 1`s must be like a howiza going off ! I use 28g for clay and 30gram for game and thought that 32gram was punchy ! :oops::blush:

Edited by salop sniper

Fancy trying some of these Hull Magnum's. May be worth a try. How do you all compare them to the RC 50's

As someone who has never shot the heavy loads such as the 46,48 & 50 gram loads dont these things kick like a mule and put a hell of a lot of stress on the gun esp a over and under where the full force is up the

barrel, at least a semi would reduce the kick and sofen the recoil ?

And with shot as big as SG isnt there a worry of ricochet ?

Granted not all shot will hit the quarry but still 50gram of shot is the equivelant of :

50 grams = 771.617918 grains....... Now thats a fair impact !

50gram of BB / 1`s must be like a howiza going off ! I use 28g for clay and 30gram for game and thought that 32gram was punchy ! :oops::blush:

I dont really find my 50g magnums much more punchy than a good 32 game cartridge through my semi and the same can be said when using a 42g cartridge though the O/U :good:

Edited by Simon123

i was expecting a hell of a wack but its not that bad through my semi, i normally use 32/34g no5's but have found some 28g carts snappier, as for o/u i guess if there proofed for 3" they should be more than capable of dealing with any heavy loads we can buyi wonder what sort of energy a 12g slug puts out :hmm: .

• 10 years later...
On 20/12/2011 at 17:59, bicykillgaz said:

50gram of BB / 1`s must be like a howiza going off ! I use 28g for clay and 30gram for game and thought that 32gram was punchy !

i was expecting a hell of a wack but its not that bad through my semi, i normally use 32/34g no5's but have found some 28g carts snappier, as for o/u i guess if there proofed for 3" they should be more than capable of dealing with any heavy loads we can buy i wonder what sort of energy a 12g slug puts out .

Relighting an old flame of a thread. I was perusing as I have got my semi auto and whilst I know how my SBS behaves with heavy loads, everything I have found gave open chokes the best pattern with big pellets, the slug question posed hasn't had an answer. I have used slugs extensively, in the USA and Canada. A 1oz slug travelling at 1500fps (good enough velocity for fag packet maths - they are generally around this figure give or take 50fps) you are looking at 435grains at 1500fps = 2175 ft-lbs (rounded to nearest full figure). Not far off the same as a 6mm centrefire, standard cartridge not magnum. A slug is accurate out to 100 yards too, but then becomes pretty wild and erodes velocity rapidly. at 75 yards I could hit a saucer every time off the shoulder (no rest) and it will lift a 20 litre tub off water off the ground and send it backwards 8-10 yards, what is left of it, because they do 'expand' a bit those plastic containers! Out at 100 yards that accuracy has halved and is not humane enough for me, even on feral pigs (wild boar), which are a large target, you still need a killing shot. At that sort of range a rifle is a must in my view.  The shotgun is very effective in scrub at under 50 yards where a moving target is more difficult with a rifle.

Edited by Accuspell

Yes an old thread yet given the time of year still relevant. I always favoured English #3 for foxes in a gun choked half and half in both barrels as a minimum. Pattern fails before penetration and from actual testing I did on dead sheep English #3 will penetrate a sheep's rib so it will easily pas through the bones of a fox and into its vitals. Anything larger such as English BB and you have a very poor pattern density at distance.