.177 Air Arms S410

Spara Dritto

Well today, being a dead calm day, no wind was perfect to sight in the new scope on the new AAS410.
Well I can't take any credit for the accuracy as It was on a rest and vice for zeroing. After zeroing the scope I was hitting 1p piece and drawing pins at 45 meters / 50 yards.
Like I said, I take no credit for the accuracy as all I was doing was aiming and pulling the trigger but I'm shocked at the consistency of the groups....
I've also been given permission to shoot rabbits, but only during the day as someone does dawn and dusk... It's a good start none the less.

I put my gun through the chronograph today, It said 11.3. Bearing that in mind, what’s the effective killing range of the .177 on rabbits? I've been told it only takes 4 foot pounds of energy to kill a rabbit cleanly - I just can't do the maths...

I've seen a video on You Tube of someone taking 100 yard shot at a bunny with an sub 12 foot pound AAS410 .177, I wouldn't try it but was this just fluke that it killed it? (I’m not saying his accuracy is fluke by any means)

I'm guessing 40-50 yards is a good effective killing range?

Any advice would be good

I put my gun through the chronograph today, It said 11.3. Bearing that in mind, what’s the effective killing range of the .177 on rabbits? I've been told it only takes 4 foot pounds of energy to kill a rabbit cleanly - I just can't do the maths...

I've seen a video on You Tube of someone taking 100 yard shot at a bunny with an sub 12 foot pound AAS410 .177, I wouldn't try it but was this just fluke that it killed it? (I’m not saying his accuracy is fluke by any means)

Any advice would be good

Hi Beretta 40-50 yds is a good range for a sub 12fpe

.177 air rifle, i personaly regard shooting bunnies at 100 yds

with a sub 12fpe gun as wrong , i shoot fac power air rifles

and do not shoot as those distances 75-80 yds is my max range

for longer shots i use my rimfires .

atb brian

Any advice would be good

Your maximum range is that at which you can hit a 10p size kill zone with every shot from whatever position you are in, be that prone, standing, kneeling, whatever.

It sounds like the gun and pellet combo is working well so good luck!

Your maximum range is that at which you can hit a 10p size kill zone with every shot from whatever position you are in, be that prone, standing, kneeling, whatever.

It sounds like the gun and pellet combo is working well so good luck!

When does lack of penetration become a factor? Apparently .177's penetrate far more then the bigger .22 so would this be a good or bad thing? Does penetration = Kill?

I've been told it takes very little to kill a rabbit, do you think it will stay more accurate before the power falls below 4 foot pounds say? :|

I'm really quite excited to see just how far it will stay accurate! I have a 50 meter garden so may just give it a go!

Edited by Beretta Italy

Yes, .177 does penetrate more and doen't deliver quite as much of a shock as .22 but provided you hit a rabbit in the right place, behind the eye and below the ear, you won't have a problem. You may find on close shots that the pellet will go right through. For the same reason a .177 is not so good for shooting ferals in barns and suchlike because a pellet will go through a bird and still have enough power to damage roofing sheets etc.

Being a .177 you will find your trajectory is more forgiving than .22 at 30 yards and over but generally I would suggest not trying for rabbits over 30 yards until you know your gun well and are confident of hitting the right spot.

Have a play with chairgun or Hawke BRC programmes and that will give you a good idea of holdover/holdunder at different ranges.

Regards

Tim.

They are cracking guns and very accurate. The hardest thing you will find is trying to be accurate from a realistic shooting position. I have to either lie prone or kneel to keep the gun steady enough to shoot something at 40yards. And yet other people seem to have rock solid standing positions and can do the same.

One of the best shots I did was a 50 yard rabbit. My zero was at 35 yards so I had to aim over his head, and I would never have attempted the shot if it wasnt for the fact I was next to a gate, so I could rest the gun on the gate to make sure it was dead steady. Perfect head shot, and one for the pot!

At ranges above 40 yards you'll find accuracy will drop off as wind starts to make a real diffrence, even on calm days. Air dosen't move in one direction and at the same speed everywhere, there are eddies and ripples and deap spots, so often on what seem like a fairly calm day, you'll find the groups will open out quite randomly at long ranges.

• 9 years later...

A well placed shot in either caliber will do it, I only shoot.177 as I feel I can place it better, my best shot was a pigeon at 55 m a head shot with a HW 100 S. I have an S410 and am getting to grips with it, it's probably as good as the HW. I was using as field but a pellet test put QYS Domed potentially better, however I think the AA seems to have less flyers.

Edited by retromlc