Laporte Trap Wiring

tiganut

A friend bought a very well used / half knackered laporte that needed a fair bit of re-wiring to get it working properly. He asked an electrician that has worked on them a little to sort it for him. He asked before he started if it was just easier to replace the ancient boxed collection relays, switches, bundles of wires and god knows what else with new compact PCBs - which you can apparently get from Laporte but in his opinion he was better off repairing and sticking with the ancient system as it would outlast the fancy PCBs several times over and cost a hell of alot less in the long run. The guy clearly knew what he was doing and sorted it out within an hour so would think his advice about avoiding the new replacement PCBs would have been pretty reliable.

Because the box & board got broken,I had to replace the lot,£296 +vat.The promatic looks a lot simpler inside the box.

Surely all that is needed is a 12v relay,permenantly on,for cocking,the microswitch would turn this off when cocked,then a trigger voltage from the remote would fire it,thus opening the microswitch & going back into cocking mode????

I know what I want to do,just not hw to do it.

The Promatic wiring is in the manual on line the relay RS stock number 178-2012 and the switch 692-8421 £12.98 with the VAT

I have rewired my Chinese made trap the same as the Promatic we have if you have any problems PM me your phone number and I will talk you though it.

Chris

looking at that schematic i would keep the laporte wiring and would fix it if i had a problem, its not much different to the promatic just layed out on a PCB to keep it tidy. come to me if you have a problem, ive rewired a load of traps, and i could easily build / mill out that pcb providing i had one to copy (should the old one burnt out etc). the best trap wiring is the promatic commercial stuff as it has a much better relay etc inside. the stuff chris has suggested is as per the ranger / cheap end promatic wiring. personally i just build my own as i dont think even the promatic is that well wired internally , just hodge podged together, but its simple and pretty reliable.

Edited by Emmsy

The Promatic wiring is in the manual on line the relay RS stock number 178-2012 and the switch 692-8421 £12.98 with the VAT

I have rewired my Chinese made trap the same as the Promatic we have if you have any problems PM me your phone number and I will talk you though it.

Chris

That is exactly the sort of thing I was thinking about,have you got a diagram of that?

The Promatic manual is here www.promatic.co.uk/LiteratureRetrieve.aspx?ID=37628

Which has the wiring diagrams for most of there Traps I agree with emmsy it is a bit of a lash but there thousands out there working well.

If you have a multi stack machine you need a higher amp relay

Chris

The Promatic manual is here www.promatic.co.uk/LiteratureRetrieve.aspx?ID=37628

Which has the wiring diagrams for most of there Traps I agree with emmsy it is a bit of a lash but there thousands out there working well.

If you have a multi stack machine you need a higher amp relay

Chris

They do work OK,but the boards appear to do naff all,except cost lots of money when they break.£100 for a new board or £4 for a relay,bit of a no brainer,if it can be made to work.

In my experience the relay is the only weak point on Bowman traps, interesting that they supply a spare in the control box in every new machine! Once you have burnt both of those out (you will know as they just keep chucking clays until the stack is empty or the battery runs out!) go for a 70a one and you shouldn't have any more problems.

Edited by Diceman