4x4 and fuel costs

darren m

My mates 03 classic shape get's better than that! :blink: Neither of us run on AT's or MT's mind. Both on road tyres. I'm just showing you what mine stated over a few 40-70mph roads.

yeh mine,s is a w reg 2000 with a/t bf,s on it and i must admit am not the slowest of drivers so yeh if i realy realy tryed i could maybe get a bit more out of it but not much

atb andy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get the trip computers on modern cars say whatever you want if you know how. If for instance you zero the thing when the engine is already warm and you're on an A road doing 50-60 on cruise, then within seconds it'll flash up very healthy mpg figures. The longer you drive it that way the longer it'll take for the numbers to drop when you do eventually start using it normally.

In my experience the manufacturer figures are very accurate indeed so long as you deduct 15%-20% to allow for real life. :lol:

Heavy 4x4 premium stuff is only ever going to return 25ish, the new X5 returns just under 30 in everyday use which is as good as it gets. Most modern family automatic 1.6 petrol cars won't do much more than 32 so not too bad really when taken in context. The new X3 is said to average 51.2 which means it'll do a fraction over 40 which is awsome for the type of vehicle.

My Trooper 3.0 was doing 30 mpg round town, no problem, just driving smoothly, it would go down to 25 mph in 4th at idle speed.

Now fitted 33x12.5" Mudders so its a bit worse now, but the change in gearing means the engine revs have dropped a bit, so improving things once cruising.....still getting 28 mpg round town, don't think any other similar sized 4x4 will be significantly different, just get the one you like the most! :good:

looking at the replies , i think they all look about the same :hmm: .

will stick with my 3.0 trooper for a bit longer i think .

re - mrs landy - its auto box - for those that know is manual box more economic

cheers

I've got a Disco 2 TD5 Auto. In a year and almost 20k miles it has averaged 24.92 mpg based on all driving conditions. It was very sluggish to begin with and in June this year I took it to Slovenia, but before I went my garage remapped it with the Autologic upgrade and that transformed the car completely. I did 2100 miles on the trip and it averaged 27.42mpg but that was all motorway miles at a steady

70mph. The trouble is now with the extra performance I

tend to drive it that bit quicker than before.

Hi Phil how much to remap you disco

As a carry on from the cost of fuel thread

i like to know which is the cheapest 4x4 to run

at the mo i have my 3.0 trooper and wife as a disco and yes we do need them for firstly work ( trailer pulling ) , horses trailer pulling , and shoot access.

like every one else one my need to go and need to have a rethink on cheaper to run 4x4's

cheers

4.6 range rover on lpg......

I run a 2006 Honda crv 2.2td, not ever ones cup of tea I appreciate. But I love it, economical in the two wheel drive doing 42-44mpg. With the progressive four wheel drive system, Is also brilliant. I take it off road/in the snow no probes. Loads of room inside for kids. I've taken myself and two mates with three mountain bikes up through Wales. :good:

I also like the land rover disco td3's. My next buy I think.

Good look on finding one :good:

As I said, that's an average figure and not a mile by mile figure. It also shows an average speed too. :rolleyes:

Round town we tend to show 29-34mpg. I also don't drive it like a div. Having had points in the past and no longer in a major rush anywhere I tend to drive economically rather than to get there for a set time. Normally stick to 65- 70 on a motorway and 55-65 on A roads.

According to the computer on my 4 ltr petrol Jeep Cherokee I can get 98 mpg from it mind you that is going down hill at 50mph with my feet off the peddles.

According to the computer on my 4 ltr petrol Jeep Cherokee I can get 98 mpg from it mind you that is going down hill at 50mph with my feet off the peddles.

The computer on my 2L diesel Skoda "Yeti" shows 200mpg (no not a typo) when I do that. :good: Otherwise it regularly returns around 45-50mpg round the town and 55-60 on a run on A roads.

Having said that, I don't drive it like I stole it as I can't be ar5ed to rush anywhere these days.

Edited by Elmer Fudd.

As I said, that's an average figure and not a mile by mile figure. It also shows an average speed too. :rolleyes:

Round town we tend to show 29-34mpg. I also don't drive it like a div. Having had points in the past and no longer in a major rush anywhere I tend to drive economically rather than to get there for a set time. Normally stick to 65- 70 on a motorway and 55-65 on A roads.

55 65 on roads bad lad in a 30 ha ha

The trip computers lie!!

Last North v South shoot i drove from just north of Newcastle to the ground at sporting targets

2.0 TDI Seat, comp said i was getting 44MPG, :o

seeing as i had brimmed it before leaving, i brimmed it again down there and worked out how much fuel i used and mileage done

came back at 55MPG which is what i expected.....

did the same one the first shoot with an 07 xtrail 136BHP, worked out at 39MPG, averaging 60/65 MPH

earlier xtrail i had (2003 @112BHP) would do 45MPG on a run and 32/34MPG round the doors (far better motor)

:shaun:

got a navara 2 years old automatic 2.5l, i get 20 mpg 21 at best , about 1/2 1/2 motorway sometimes only get 18.5 to 19, anyone else got the same model, what do you get, i have found that i get a bit more if i regularly lock on the cruse control.

I have the same vehicle, but 2006 - Navara aventura auto, but OMG!!!! 20 MPG - its broken mate!

I get 30-32 knocking about, 36 on a run on the m/way, AND its got AT2 snow tyres on all year round 'cos I'm too lazy to put the road tyres on for whatever passes as "summer".

Genuinely, I think its bust! - got a few mates with 'em too, and they would probably tell you the same...

ATB and Good Luck with it - its still under warranty? Yes?

Sim

We have just traded in a fiat 500 (55mpg) for a freelander TD4 on 53 after much discussion with friends who have them they reckon 40 on a run is possible and about 35-37 day to day running. Will let you know how we get on when pick it up on saturday. My dads old trooper does about 24mpg, saying that the new pick ups namely the vw amarnok (or something like that) reckon 35-40 is achevable.=

Drive a Freelander 2. I average 28mpg running about and maybe 33mpg on a good run. I drive like it's not my car!

Not sure if it counts as a 4x4 .. but our AWD Subaru Legacy manages 35mpg on a mix of round town and country driving. I've had it up to 39 on the motorway.

Its a 2.0 petrol and it cost us buttons to buy. We've put 35k miles on it in 21 months and yes the petrol costs are expensive, but the cost to change to an equivalent deisel model was just silly .. and diesel isn't exactly cheap!

We will be needing something with more ground learance shortly and this is our first Subaru and it won't be the last - in terms of reliability its been faultless. A little thirsty but I'll forget all about that once the white stuff falls :)

I just did a check on our new freelander td4 (new to us on 53 plate) and we have got 35mpg out of it, did not think this was bad considering my missus is used to driving a little fiat 500 petrol so holds the gears too long and down changes far to often. Also we have been doing bout 70-75ish on motorways plus there was the necessary top speed test of any new car. I reckon 40+ should not be a problem once she settles down a bit and drops back down to 60 on the commute to work.

Run an 07 plate Landcruiser LC4 as a daily drive, 480 miles out of a tank is my best so far which i think is around 27mpg, Car is paid for and i get a car & mileage allowance which, as long as i get 420 out of tank, pays for itself. Anything else is profit. My defender is another story...26mpg on a good run