Help with gralloching. DVD/utube

Psyxologos

Blunderbust, you seem to be jumping to conclusions without having the whole picture. Please would you be so kind as to indicate where from my message you got the information or reasonable indication that I have no respect for my quarry, or that I do not know what I am doing? Please refrain from interjecting in conversations offering your useless advice when neither you have been asked for it nor you understand the full facts. It exposes you to the danger of making a fool of yourself.

Close to Castle Daglas, Dumfries and Galloway.

well said that man

well said that man

Do you know what, I have apologised to Psyxologos for inferring that he has no respect for his quarry, even though I did not mean it to come over that way. I also decided that I would not be adding any more to this thread until you have made your comment.

I made my first post in answer to the question that he put out to all on the forum. My reason for this original post is as follows:

1. In the question he states the following, “I feel I am not able to tell the difference between a good and a bad technique”. This suggested to me that he has no experience of gralloching. He then stated, “As I do not want to start by learning the wrong way, I was wondering if someone could point me to the right direction”. Again making me think that he is completely new to stalking. His last sentence then is, “The problem is I am going stalking on my own (the first stalk I will be doing on my own) and if I am lucky enough to get a deer, I need to have a decent idea how to gralloch. Many thanks!” I admit that I miss-read this one and thought that he was going stalking for the first time.

2. At no point was it mentioned in the OP that he had any stalking or gralloching experience what so ever, so I mistakenly thought (as did others)he was trying to run before he could walk.

3. I then see his answer to my post, “Blunderbust, you seem to be jumping to conclusions without having the whole picture. Please would you be so kind as to indicate where from my message you got the information or reasonable indication that I have no respect for my quarry, or that I do not know what I am doing? Please refrain from interjecting in conversations offering your useless advice when neither you have been asked for it nor you understand the full facts. It exposes you to the danger of making a fool of yourself.” and even though I thought he was out of order in what he said, due to the fact that he did put out the question to an open forum and I am a member. I there for have every right to give him my version of an answer to his question. With reference to me not having the full picture, he was once again right I didn’t, but that was due to him not giving the full facts in the OP. Indeed the full facts with reference to his experience were not given until his third post which was well after my answer had been posted.

I, in no way meant any harm in my statement, I was only trying to help as I do, as much as I can help anyone on PW. I said previously, I have apologised to Psyxologos and have also arranged to send him my copy of a Gralloch DVD buy first class mail so that he can watch it a couple of times before he heads off on his trip. I am however sure that if he has observed a few and had supervision from an AW on a couple of his own grallochs he will manage no problems, it will all just slip into place as long as he takes his time. A look at the DVD will also help with the fact that if he last done it a couple of months ago, he will only be used to doing Stags/Bucks, there is a section on Hinds/Doe’s, which as any stalker knows is actually easier.

Psyxologos, have a great trip on Friday.

Do you know what, I have apologised to Psyxologos for inferring that he has no respect for his quarry, even though I did not mean it to come over that way. I also decided that I would not be adding any more to this thread until you have made your comment.

I made my first post in answer to the question that he put out to all on the forum. My reason for this original post is as follows:

1. In the question he states the following, “I feel I am not able to tell the difference between a good and a bad technique”. This suggested to me that he has no experience of gralloching. He then stated, “As I do not want to start by learning the wrong way, I was wondering if someone could point me to the right direction”. Again making me think that he is completely new to stalking. His last sentence then is, “The problem is I am going stalking on my own (the first stalk I will be doing on my own) and if I am lucky enough to get a deer, I need to have a decent idea how to gralloch. Many thanks!” I admit that I miss-read this one and thought that he was going stalking for the first time.

2. At no point was it mentioned in the OP that he had any stalking or gralloching experience what so ever, so I mistakenly thought (as did others)he was trying to run before he could walk.

3. I then see his answer to my post, “Blunderbust, you seem to be jumping to conclusions without having the whole picture. Please would you be so kind as to indicate where from my message you got the information or reasonable indication that I have no respect for my quarry, or that I do not know what I am doing? Please refrain from interjecting in conversations offering your useless advice when neither you have been asked for it nor you understand the full facts. It exposes you to the danger of making a fool of yourself.” and even though I thought he was out of order in what he said, due to the fact that he did put out the question to an open forum and I am a member. I there for have every right to give him my version of an answer to his question. With reference to me not having the full picture, he was once again right I didn’t, but that was due to him not giving the full facts in the OP. Indeed the full facts with reference to his experience were not given until his third post which was well after my answer had been posted.

I, in no way meant any harm in my statement, I was only trying to help as I do, as much as I can help anyone on PW. I said previously, I have apologised to Psyxologos and have also arranged to send him my copy of a Gralloch DVD buy first class mail so that he can watch it a couple of times before he heads off on his trip. I am however sure that if he has observed a few and had supervision from an AW on a couple of his own grallochs he will manage no problems, it will all just slip into place as long as he takes his time. A look at the DVD will also help with the fact that if he last done it a couple of months ago, he will only be used to doing Stags/Bucks, there is a section on Hinds/Doe’s, which as any stalker knows is actually easier.

Psyxologos, have a great trip on Friday.

Please elaborate on the bold and underlined! As for the rest of the post, please everyone, let us put this to rest. As Blunderbust explained in more than one occasions, it was a missunderstanding. I might have not helped by posting a quick question withour elaborating, but I was posting from my phone. So I wanted to get to the point. When I found myself in front of a PC I was able to say more.

Due to the time and season I would expect that you did most of your work on Stags/Bucks.

I find that Hind/Doe are a lot easier to do as basically you do not have the penis to worry about. Once you have cut away and removed the udders all you need to do is cut down passed the genital area on either side and cut free the anus. You will then find that cutting/clearing the Pelvic V is a lot easier than with the bucks and the whole lot will pull through from the inside during the rest of the gralloch, as normal. You will see what I mean on the DVD.

As above. Always tie off. The traditional method is to scrape a couple of inches in the middle of the oesophagus clear of the outer membrane with your knife, cut through the oesophagys at the throat and tie a stop knot in the scraped section. Its quite easy to do, but can feel like wrestling a greased eel. I've always tied them off but if your fingers are cold or the stomach is very full and the oesophagus is starting to fill up having a small cable tie to hand could be very useful.

Much easier to separate windpipe from oesophagusin the throat region, tie off with cable tie and then cut ABOVE the tie, i.e. on the side closest to the mouth. Once you have got your hands in the there and loosened all the connective tisuues and cut away the the urethra and anus (don't forget to tie these off too with cable tie AFTER you have emptied any errant poo from the rear end, what you are trying to do is stop anything falling back into the carcass) the gralloch will then pull out of the beast as one big sealed unit.. throw it to one side ( the book says bury it 1m down :lol::lol: )

Stab the stomach once with your knife... just to stop it blowing up like one of those sentry balls in The Prisoner :D

Bladder can come out either in the field or back at the larder (don't forget to tie the urethra off... my mate says deer pee taste salty!!!... he discovered this as I nicked the tied off tube doing larder work and managed to spray a load right in his mouth :yes::yes: )

Hope that helps... a bit...

The estate manager I was out with in Scotland last year was right when he said... 'after the first few supervised grallochs your best bet is to go and do plenty all on your own... no pressure then and no criticism if you make a mistake!'

And remember... there is no right way or wrong way to perform a gralloch... only easier and more difficult ways of doing it... If you can get everything out without contaminating the carcass, check for disease & injury, remove head & feet and get it in the chiller... then you have performed a good gralloch... doesn't matter how you got to that point only that you did :good:

Edited by Vipa

If unsure how to deal with stags and bucks just leave the genitals in place and deal with them on the larder.

Vipa's estate managers advice makes sense. What watching other people or dvds can't tell you is just how much is done by feel. The only way to learn that is to stick your hands in for yourself.

The most important thing is competent carcase inspection. The worst that can happen with the gralloch is finishing up with an unsaleable carcase, which isn't the end of the world, and plenty of carcases that the game dealer turns down are still perfectly ok for the home freezer with a bit of trimming.

Don't forget to look after yourself in your efforts to get things right. Razor sharp knives, blood-slicked hands and failing light and all that.... You wouldn't be the first.

• 3 years later...