Uses for spent shotgun cartridges

Thunderbird

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to make them take out primer hold onto the plastic case and warm the brass over a gas flame rotating as soon as you start to see the plastic lip onto the brass remove frome flame .hold the brass with a tea towel and twist off leaving a nice shiny brass where the primer used to be is splayed, you need to knock that flat and then on one half you need to open out slightly. i have an oversized punch when it fits just inside the other knock together with a rubber mallet .to finish use a ball pean hammer to slightly concave each half and then use paracord to make a lanyard,atb wayne one more thing suck dont blow :good:

I like that, think i'll give it a go. Thanks for explaining how to do it :good:

stick them on the top of bamboo canes down on the allotment saves poking your eyes every now and then :D

:stupid::good::good:

Good idea do it myself. A good friends Dad came back from pub and decided to water his tomato plants yup you guessed it cost him an eye.

Sodit

Edited by sodit

hello thunderbird. i am new member to the site . i do a lot of fowling you can make widgeon callers from winchester and ely brass heads once you have got plastic of. put them inside each other it is a good snug fit and just make a dent in till you get the right call effect.some times if the heads are a bit loose small amount of super glue does the trick. (these work very well tried and tested) ps just another use for spent shells.

Thanks, I went wildfowling for the first time at the weekend, really enjoyed it.

hello thunderbird. glad you enjoyed your fowling trip any luck . it gets in the blood mate like when you catch your first fish as a youngster. i have been at now 32 years and still not bored with it. thanks for reply.

I made a couple of these little matchbox thingys the other day and the hardest part was slicing the cartridge (the one that you don't remove the brass) from cleanly through. I tried my sharpest knife and it was still a pain getting the cut clean and straight.

I made some of these a while ago after seeing them in a Ray Mears book. I used an old pair of nail scissors to trim the top as these were small and nimble enough to keep the cut straight.

hello thunderbird. glad you enjoyed your fowling trip any luck . it gets in the blood mate like when you catch your first fish as a youngster. i have been at now 32 years and still not bored with it. thanks for reply.

Didn't shoot anything (the three of us didn't, all the birds were flying straight down the middle of the river) but loved the experience being out there, a real first for me. Whilst I didn't shoot anything I did come away with something, as the kind person (and PW member) I was with gave me a brace of Mallard as he'd had a good day the day before.

I'm going again, definitely.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've done a few.take the end off 1 and cut another off straight then use the removed cap as a top for the cut 1 it makes a tight fit for odds & ****! also if you show smeone it normally confuses them as the cartrige has a brass each end!!

Someone did this and used it for a case to hold their daily tablets....