Chamber length

smokinggun

Hi Guys,

Hope you can help me i have recently bought 2 shotguns both 12 bore, one is a lincoln over and under double trigger and the other is a FIAS sabatti side by side but i have no idea what the chamber length is?

is there a mark or stamp that should tell me as i dont really know what the marks mean, the guy sold me 2 3/4 length cartridges at the time and i'm pretty sure he said the lincoln had 3 inch chambers.

Any help much appreciated fella's i'm not at home at the moment so cant check the marks but will look later.

Thanks again

Take the barrels off and look at the proof marks on the barrel flats under the chambers , On the supposed 3" you should see PSF with two star's above it which is magnum or superior proof and on the other one PSF and one star for std proof, Also somewhere there should be the chamber length 12/70 for 70mm/23/4 or 12/76 for 3" cambers.

Edited by Andy H

Take the barrels off and look at the proof marks on the barrel flats under the chambers , On the supposed 3" you should see PSF with two star's above it which is magnum or superior proof and on the other one PSF and one star for std proof, Also somewhere there should be the chamber length 12/70 for 70mm/23/4 or 12/76 for 3" cambers.

Hello Andy, thanks for the reply mate,

i have looked and on the over under the top barrel has 2 stars and the words CAM.70, the bottom barrel has 4 stars and KGI.500 they both have 18.5 stamped on each barrel, also on the flat under the bottom barrel by the serial number it has PSF with a star in a circle above it and FINITO also with a star and circle above it and also a box with what looks like AE in it a but i cannot see the 12/70 or 12/76 mark anywhere.

On the side by side shotgun the left barrel has 1 star, the right barrel has 3 stars and the words KGI.250 they again both have 18.5 on each barrel, on the flat it has +SGF+ on the left side and Cam.70 and on the right side of the flat it has PSF and Finito, also AB in a box.

Does any of this mean anything to you?

Once again thank you for your help.

Hello Andy, thanks for the reply mate,

i have looked and on the over under the top barrel has 2 stars and the words CAM.70, the bottom barrel has 4 stars and KGI.500 they both have 18.5 stamped on each barrel, also on the flat under the bottom barrel by the serial number it has PSF with a star in a circle above it and FINITO also with a star and circle above it and also a box with what looks like AE in it a but i cannot see the 12/70 or 12/76 mark anywhere.

On the side by side shotgun the left barrel has 1 star, the right barrel has 3 stars and the words KGI.250 they again both have 18.5 on each barrel, on the flat it has +SGF+ on the left side and Cam.70 and on the right side of the flat it has PSF and Finito, also AB in a box.

Does any of this mean anything to you?

Once again thank you for your help.

Sounds to me that both guns are 2 3/4" or 70 mm.

Cam 70 is you chamber length and 1 star over psf is std proof , AB on the sxs is 1976 and on the ou AE is 1979 , the star's are you choke designations 1/2 /3/4 etc.

Thats great thanks Andy, its nice to have the date to i was wondering about that, really appreciate the help and info, i really like them both and they seem very well looked after so i wanted to make sure i only put the right carts through it.

Cheers again

18.5 will be bore dia in mm. Kgi I would guess is the max pressure rating....

Thats great, another piece of the puzzle solved thanks EdSolomons.

Cam 70 is you chamber length and 1 star over psf is std proof , AB on the sxs is 1976 and on the ou AE is 1979 , the star's are you choke designations 1/2 /3/4 etc ,The KGI.500 is KG 1.500 the barrel weight at proof.

Ah i see i must admit i guessed the I part as i couldnt see it very well, i am really chuffed with all that info on them now cheers.