Crabtree Farm, Lupton

paulos

Agree with all that has been said regarding foul weather, for those that remember the PW Charity shoot at Hodnet last year, well that was "just a few spots, not worth bringing the washing in" as my Mother used to say compared to this afternoon at Lupton. If we had been at sea the RNLI would have refused to launch as it would have been too dangerous. :oops::oops:

The boy & I had stopped off at Malmo Guns to pick up his gun which had been in for repair then bumped into the manc mob (being driven by a large Yorkshireman for some strange reason) they had also managed to lure an unsuspecting attractive young lady into their car, promise of seeing some puppies or kittens I shouldn't doubt :hmm: Anyway they were at the Carnforth truckstop test driving breakfasts when we joined them, it seemed rude not to really.

Anyway we arrived at Crabtree Farm at about 12 o'clock and found the rest of the PW contingent had been there at the crack of dawn and had started (a wise move as it transpired).

We booked on and set off on the 10 stand (5 pairs per stand - just like the old days!) As we shot the first stand I felt the first spots of rain on my cheek, took me by surprise really as that was exactly what the BBC weather forecast had predicted :o :o Anyway the rain and the wind increased in ferocity & velocity as we made our way round, myself, Son of Potter, Chard, Timps, Canthitathing and the newby Siberian Tiger. By the time we got to stand 7 I think collectively we had just about lost the will to live, at one point I thought I spotted a St Bernard complete with brandy barrel but as it got closer it was picked up by the wind and blown back to whence it came. By this time the bright-eyed group were back in the hut, drinking tea and eating pies. We struggled on for those 4 remaining stands, which would have been selection shoot material in kind weather, exceedingly tough in the face of a force 10 gale :no::no::no:

For the last two stands we had to abandon the score cards which had all but dissolved. We knew only one of our squad was on for a decent score so we kept note of what he'd killed and missed. Last stand featured a teal which started off about 40 yards away and was at least 60+ when you got a shot at it. Would have been tough on a still dry day, today it really was a matter of luck :angry::angry:

Finally the ordeal was over and we trudged back to the cabin. Everyone of us was soaked to the skin, I asked where the hot showers and drying room where and just got a blank stare, I'm not sure they speak English that far North.

Scores - well because our squad had no viable cards left I can't put scores up as we relying on memory BUT we knew that Son of Potter had finished on an 83 and the early squad said that was HG and that on that early squad Whiskymac had shot a more than credible 77 so with his handicap of + 20 he had got a magnificent 97 and all agreed that was unbeatable. I re-jigged the rules as we collectively could not find the lowest score so the £50 quid pot was divided £15 to Son of Potter as HG and £35 to Whiskymac as HG with handicap, (no jokes please). I finished on a 69 or 70 and that was hard work, I hope never to shoot in those conditions ever again, it would have been easier shooting at night!!!

Brilliant day for the craic and all that and given much, much better weather it would have been one hell of a shoot and the pie was nearly worth the soaking for alone, I hope we repeat it one day IN THE SUMMER

Mr Potter

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked the simo pair on stand 7 :) :)

It had the stand numbers across the top of the card!! Simple really!! Plus i like to keep people on their toes!!

Was sum great targets, but a couple that were daft!! Our stand two them whippy things below us and the teal on the last stand! Apart from that a great shoot i thought!! :)

I liked the simo pair on stand 7 :) :)

It had the stand numbers across the top of the card!! Simple really!! Plus i like to keep people on their toes!!

Was sum great targets, but a couple that were daft!! Our stand two them whippy things below us and the teal on the last stand! Apart from that a great shoot i thought!! :)

Stand 2?? They were about the easiest there! :o

One criticism we did have was that there were no indications at any of the stands as to which sequence they should be shot in , don't need them for a practice shoot but for a comp (even an un-official one) it's a pre-requisite. I think the early group shot them the "easier" way round whilst us hardcore shooters deliberately shot them the "harder" way. I was first up on stand 7, looked at the targets and admittedly in an effort to speed things up, decided they would be no more difficult as a simo pair :good: Oh boy was my face red as I chipped my way to 3 x 10 (which was matched by Siberian Tiger and she only got her SGC in September!!!) Luckily the boy gave us a masterclass and killed all ten.

So next time Lupton - sequence on the stands please.

Mr Potter

I did enjoy the Teal on the last stand.A proper target :good:

So nobody got a photo of the Transit Van in the car park :hmm: I had to look twice,talk about good timing :good:

Azzurri.

Imagine if you had them round to decorate....... you want it in pink you cornholing ****..... I am not going to paint your ******* front room in pink you ******* cock.....pink is for fags I have painted it blue you cornholing bellend..... now where is my ******* money :hmm:

Edited by timps

Imagine if you had them round to decorate....... you want it in pink you cornholing ****..... I am not going to paint your ******* front room in pink you ******* cock.....pink is for fags I have painted it blue you cornholing bellend..... now where is my ******* money :hmm:

Nothing wrong with being direct..... :sly:

Could you imagine if HE ever got his own sit com on Channel 4 :oops: :oops:

Azzurri

great day in bright sunshine :good: handicaped slightly so as to give the manc mob a chance so all our squad shot 21 grm carts. :yp: :yp:

well shot Rich :good::good: and well bagged scotty :hmm::hmm:(must have had a good coach) :blink:

good to see polestar and his mrs anna again :good: shame she keeps beating you though :lol::lol:

next one in the summer though please.

Top day, pity about the gale force winds and hailstones. Still, noticed that we were the only ones still out there braving the stands when the weather got really bad (idiots) :-), while every other begger was toasting themselves in the hut ;-)

Edited to add that I have a cheery cough and rapidly losing my voice. . .

Edited by Siberian Tiger

Top day, pity about the gale force winds and hailstones. Still, noticed that we were the only ones still out there braving the stands when the weather got really bad (idiots) :-), while every other begger was toasting themselves in the hut ;-)

Edited to add that I have a cheery cough and rapidly losing my voice. . .

What sort of a bloke wont share his wetherals originals with a lass in need. <_<:rolleyes: Nice to meet you, next time we are havin it in the sunshine. ;):D from Auntie.

What sort of a bloke wont share his wetherals originals with a lass in need. <_<:rolleyes: Nice to meet you, next time we are havin it in the sunshine. ;):D from Auntie.

Re. the Werther's Auntie, that could be my fault :blush: I bought a packet of Werther's chewy originals just for Chard for two reasons, firstly for the hours of endless fun we can have if you roll them downhill or toss one into a ditch (oh er miisus) then watch him scampering along or emerging muddy in his effort to retrieve them (if I ever get another Labrador I'm going to call it Chard!)

The second purpose is that if he starts off on one of his infamous rants, which usually involve inserting obscure objects into bodily orifices that were not designed to accept such objects, it has been scientifically proven he can't rant and chew at the same time :good::good:

Long story short, I forgot them but they are still there for next time.

Mr Potter