Sonic II Shooters Aid Ear Plugs

Nickt

They do work but are very uncomfortable unles you cut them down and fit some ear plug rubbers, I lost mine within 2 weeks but I'm constantly doing it. I bought some Napier pro-9 they are very comfortable and cheap at about £20 they work very well too :good:

Ive got some and are quite good. First thing to do is get them and play around with them, rolling and squeezing them in your fingers say at work or when watching the television, softens them up no end, but after say 2 hours they do get uncomfortable still, but for a short blast on clays there fine. Not bad for around 11 quid either

They do work but are very uncomfortable unles you cut them down and fit some ear plug rubbers, I lost mine within 2 weeks but I'm constantly doing it. I bought some Napier pro-9 they are very comfortable and cheap at about £20 they work very well too :good:

Another vote for the Pro 9's. I have a set, and although they are not much to look at, they certainly work. I also have a set of Pro 10's, but personally cannot see any difference in sound reduction.

I used them for years, but have now coughed up for proper moulded plugs and haven't regretted that decision.

Reasons being, the newer ones aren't as comfortable as the originals, but more importantly they don't offer enough sound reduction for prolonged shooting. I would probably still wear them for walk and stand days but not for clays.

Thanks guys. I'm ok with using foam ones for clays (very rarely nowadays) as I don't mind not be able to hear anything. My problem is when I shoot pigeons and stay behind the hide for a few hours. I want to be able to hear what is going around me but at the same time protect my hearing. I have try using ear muffs but I don't like them because on mounting, the gun stock always hit them.

I think for the money the sonic II cost I will give them a try and see how it goes.

Thanks guys. I'm ok with using foam ones for clays (very rarely nowadays) as I don't mind not be able to hear anything. My problem is when I shoot pigeons and stay behind the hide for a few hours. I want to be able to hear what is going around me but at the same time protect my hearing. I have try using ear muffs but I don't like them because on mounting, the gun stock always hit them.

I think for the money the sonic II cost I will give them a try and see how it goes.

Like people have already said, they are uncomfortable for long periods at first; Had mine a couple of years now, and I can wear them all day without any problems with comfort.

You can take out the suppressor for washing the rubber part, I soaked the rubber parts in hot water a few times and this softened them up.

Very good for the money I think.

If they didn't reduce the noise that much you can't of had them in right, I can hear the bang but it's hardly loud, I mean the loud that's a slight clap next to you. Shove them most of the way in upto the 3rd ring and your well away, still hear talking fine but cuts the bang considerably. The valve is the same as in the moulded ones, there maybe alot comfier but these are a tenth of the price, try them, If you don't like them it's only just over a tenner.

If they didn't reduce the noise that much you can't of had them in right, I can hear the bang but it's hardly loud, I mean the loud that's a slight clap next to you. Shove them most of the way in upto the 3rd ring and your well away, still hear talking fine but cuts the bang considerably. The valve is the same as in the moulded ones, there maybe alot comfier but these are a tenth of the price, try them, If you don't like them it's only just over a tenner.

You could be right about them not being in right. But as you say, for a tenner it was worth a go

ive got some, dont buy the silver ones, better going for orange as silver ones look like you have tampons in your ears. their not bad but you do get the strange humming sound with wind sometimes (not rear end). comfortable enough but then again i do wear foam for work so you could say ive grown accustomed.

I used to use Sonic II. They were a bit uncomfortable after a while. You need to stick them in a bit to make sure more than one 'flange' is inserted for them to work properly. They still gave me earache though. Also difficult to keep clean. I found that removing and replacing the metal insert for disinfection in boiling water a pain. After losing at least three sets I looked elsewhere and found Surefire EarPro EP3 Sonic Ear Defenders. I have to say, these are awesome. Found them at a police/military suppliers in Leicester. Similar price and principal but massively superior fit so more comfortable and better performance.

post-3840-0-34893500-1321949930.jpg

Link here: Polimil (I'm not affiliated to this company, you probably can find them elsewhere - just a great product).

I agree the ear pros were miles more comfortable but i still lost them. In the end I got some of the diy kit moulded ones off ebay for a tenner. They took about ten min to make and are so comfortable that I tend to forget i still have them in! They are solid but seen to allow me to hear talking ok, better than the foam ones anyway, but muffle the bangs really well.

I also use the Surefire EarPro EP3 Sonic Ear Defenders i find them very comfy and i can also use one as a ear piece for my radio when working..they have now brought out the EP4 next step up which ive just bought today.

Thanks guys. I will give the Surefire EarPro EP4's a go first if they are more comfy.

Just a note that the classic Sonic II made by North Industries was a patent product and North ceased production themselves three years ago. While North sold the patent, they retained the name for other products they made.

In 2008 Health Enterprises in the USA aquired the production rights for the Sonic Valve. The new production has a superior clear silicon rubber surround for extra comfort and better UV properties. The valve action remains the same. The new clear silicon distinguishes the new production from the previous manufactuers, North, who made them in Orange. The old colouring is no longer available. The new production are branded as Acu-Life Shooter's Aids.

Just a note that the classic Sonic II made by North Industries was a patent product and North ceased production themselves three years ago. While North sold the patent, they retained the name for other products they made.

In 2008 Health Enterprises in the USA aquired the production rights for the Sonic Valve. The new production has a superior clear silicon rubber surround for extra comfort and better UV properties. The valve action remains the same. The new clear silicon distinguishes the new production from the previous manufactuers, North, who made them in Orange. The old colouring is no longer available. The new production are branded as Acu-Life Shooter's Aids.

Thank you very useful info. :good: