Semi Auto users - which cartriges cycle well in which guns?

Salop Matt

My Benelli SuperSport has cycled any 28g Ive put through it including Hull CompX 28g which are very light on recoil.

It did struggle with CompX 21g although the guns still relatively new so it may handle these better after a few more 28g sheels have gone through.

I had a Urika before and although the Benelli recoils (a little) more, I like it far more rthan the Beretta.

Try a gas and an inertia gun if you can before you buy, to me the recoil felt different between the two.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My SX3 does everything, but i find the action length makes loading at the start and unloading at the end easier with shells of 3" or over. Its only the slightest niggle though as i find the small shells fiddly to eject into my hand or to get the first in (though its normally pitch black when i am doing this and i am doing it mainly by feel)

I have a Benelli M2 28" with the comfortec system. No jams what so ever with any of the 28g cartridges I use, Eley First, Gamebore Supergems does fine with them. If you are going to be shooting a lot of magnum + loads, I would definately try to get something that reduces recoil. I was using Gamebore Mammoth shot which is a 36g 3" steel cartridge last weekend and there is hardly any recoil at all with the comfortec built in.

I was a bit dubious as to whether or not it would work, now I wouldnt buy another semi without it. If you can afford the extra it costs, it is well worth it.

Its mainly going to be for clays running 28g but on the odd occasion 30g or 32g and maybe twice a year 21g or 24g for when the mrs fancys a go !

I did shoot a benelli comfortec once and it was a dream ands the least recoiling semi i have ever shot but the price tag puts them out of my range !

I tried 21g carts in my Beretta A302 the other day and was very surprised that it cycled them without any problems. I do try to keep it running well and for a gun 30 years old it performs very well indeed. I actually prefer shooting it to the urika and perform better with it too, so much so that i'd sell the Urika only for it being Steel proofed.

I tried 21g carts in my Beretta A302 the other day and was very surprised that it cycled them without any problems. I do try to keep it running well and for a gun 30 years old it performs very well indeed. I actually prefer shooting it to the urika and perform better with it too, so much so that i'd sell the Urika only for it being Steel proofed.

did you know you can send your barrel off and have it steel proofed ! :yes:

• 3 weeks later...

Benelli owners what cartridges are you using on pigeon and crow ? All the advice I can see says stay with70mm carts but my favourite game bore clear pigeon are 65mm in fibre wad 32gram!

So have any benelli owners used 65mm 32grams ? If so how did you find them for cycling and ejection ?

Regards

Matt

Benelli owners what cartridges are you using on pigeon and crow ? All the advice I can see says stay with 70mm carts but my favourite game bore clear pigeon are 65mm in fibre wad 32gram!

So have any benelli owners used 65mm 32grams ? If so how did you find them for cycling and ejection ?

The new version gamebore clear pigeons ARE 70mm. Seem to cycle OK in semis.

Used the clear pigeon 32g Fibre 70mm

I have a Baikal MP153 semi auto.

It has had 2 1/2" 2 3/4" 3" and 3.5" cartridges run thru it from 21g to 42g loads.

I have even run 3 different length cartridges ins 3 different weights and it has never ever missed a beat, not once.

It is also very robust in its construction, it is that well built it doubles up as a hammer for knocking in fence posts if needed !

Top quality bit of kit, not the prettiest but built to last.

Schmoo.

Benelli owners what cartridges are you using on pigeon and crow ? All the advice I can see says stay with70mm carts but my favourite game bore clear pigeon are 65mm in fibre wad 32gram!

Regards

Matt

I used to shoot gamebore clear pigeon in a 30gm 6 plastic through a benelli supersport without problem. I now shoot almost everything bird wise (excluding driven peasant and wildfowl) with eley olympic's 28gm 7.5s through a benelli woodcock. 1000s of shells some years without any problems.

• 2 months later...

Having a gun steel shot proved doesn't in itself make it safe to shoot steel through (actually iron shot) it only pressure tests it to the required minimum standard. The CP approved standard steel shot cartridge was made to be shot in standard shotguns proved for nitro cartridges (even paper thin SXS guns) but super steel cartridges are a different kettle of fish, avoid them unless you know different. The European standard is the CP approval, the Americans have the SAAM approval which is different so beware of advice from websites based in the States.

On the point of barrel damage due to abrasion with steel? it's up to you if you want to chance it and ring bulges caused by the choke constrictions are another of the lesser known hazards beset of the virtuoso of the smoothbore.

One caveat, don't use anything tighter than 1/2 choke or you could end up wearing your fowling piece instead of shooting it!

Edited by skabo1

I am shooting a 391 beretta , it will shoot any 70mm shell or bigger , from 24grm to 56grm no problem . A BIG BUT is 65mm light loads . I get one or two jams not all the time but one is to meany for me. It is not so much a brand thing but a size thing. My old remington 1100 was the same, it was not to happy with short light loads

I just buy a mid priced shell like the C.S sporting red . It works every time no problem