Help with rabbit stalking...

Spara Dritto

Sorry, I put it onto an existing post!

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. I went up and my first field (that I didn't think would have any) had quite a few, but they didn't stay around long with the car rocking up to them, at least I know now that it's better to go there. The second field I went to had a few but only was able to take one safe shot as the others would have gone into bushes and possibly across the road - I'm just not that stupid...

Well I've decided that I’m sticking with early mornings (around 6.30 so I don't pester or cause conflict with the public on the foot path that runs right next to/parallel to my field)for a little lamping, but wont lamps just scare the rabbits off before I can get a chance to shoot them? They seem extremely edgy as they haven't been shot in years and there is only one farmer and his son that work on it so not a lot of contact.

If getting a lamp, which one should I look at, I really don't want to spend more then £70...

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm allowed to shoot on or across a public footpath as long as I don't cause alarm or endanger anyone, and give the path users right of way?

With roads, I can be as close as I like as long as I don't disrupt, endanger or injure anyone while shooting my gun? Well none of these will apply as there is a big thick bush running right along the road/my permission so won’t disrupt them (plus they wont hear a “crack” from the silenced air rifle lol) and I'd never shoot into the bush - always away from it with a safe backstop.. (I must admit even if I got right next to this bush I'd still be more then 50ft away from the centre of the road)

There is so much more to stalking then just walking up to them quietly and shooting them and I've only just realised this..

After seeing big bags from everyone on here I thought I'd have been a little more successful... :(

They run throughout the whole of his land, I’m hard pushed to find somewhere with no footpath… You are either near one or can be seen by people on one (Hence why I said last thing at night 11 -12 or first thing in the morning 5 - 6 am and even then looking at using night vision). I’ve been told that there is no specific law against it and was curious as to how many others have this problem :/

Edited by Beretta Italy

what every lamp you but get an amber and a red filter i use an amber filter on rabbits, hares,and foxes the red filter is only good for 100 yrd or so but stilll very good to use as for the public foot paths i have some on my perms i dont shoot near them in day light but do shoot near them after dark

atb andy

Personally, I wouldnt shoot anywhere near a public footpath. Youre just asking for trouble

I have lots and lots of footpaths, as long as you're safe and don't shoot anyone, its completely above board to shoot over them.

Dont worry about it my largest permission over 1000 acres is covered from top to bottom with public footpaths. I shoot from them,shoot on them drive along and shoot on them etc so long as you are shooting safely there is nothing to worry about :good:

:good: Didn't see your post...agree totally.

Edited by kyska

the land I shoot on is riddled with footpaths! so long as your not a complete idiot and shoot in the direction when people are near you will be fine! i'v shot for years round them and never had a problem! as for a lamp i would go for a led lenser p7 they shine as far as you need them and more, its a universal handheld, the battery lasts hours and there easy to mount on any air rifle.

Well just been over to the other half’s place, she knew I was looking for a lamp and low and behold she has brought me one for an early Christmas present this morning! I was planning on borrowing a friends but right now I’m over the moon, she wouldn’t tell me how much it’s worth but said “it’s apparently good!” What a princess!