Own up - who owns a Lab called Fenton?

Beardo

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how would you use an e collar to sort this? all the vids I've found on the net about collars are for american style obedience training where they are used on very low power just to 'tap' the dog to reinforce commands. i can't see our friend Fenton paying much attention. Not a hater of collars, but I've thought about this for my dog before he gets himself killed on the road and not sure of the technique you'd actually use.

Technique, turn dial to max, press button, czzzert yelp dog 15ft in air lands in a heap and skulks back to it's owner on it's belly. Not pretty but effective and instant stop to the chase. As seen demonstrated on a keepers hapless weimaramer more than once.

Not something i've done, i tend to follow the get out there after it and correct the ****** myself approach, however i aint getting any younger or fitter these days. :oops:

So how would you use an e collar to sort this? all the vids I've found on the net about collars are for american style obedience training where they are used on very low power just to 'tap' the dog to reinforce commands. i can't see our friend Fenton paying much attention. Not a hater of collars, but I've thought about this for my dog before he gets himself killed on the road and not sure of the technique you'd actually use.

Forget how the yanks use them, its become an obsession over there and they use them for teaching everything. Most collars adjust from levels so low most dogs cant even feel a sensation upwards. With the level up to a fair kick without being so high you wouldn,t dare press the button with it attached to your arm blip it when it gets close but do not admonish or be connected with the correction, if you don't get responce you desire move up and blip again etc. you obviously have to stop the dog. Remember do not let the dog connect you or the wearing of the collar with the correction. Next time wait for it mearly to raise its head as the stock depart and give it a very mild tap-again no association with you or the collar, though always reasure it when it returns. you are looking for the dog to actively ignoor the running stock and deer by dipping its head etc

Most dogs need a fortnight or longer wearing the collar with no correction before you attempt any of this "aversion" treatment otherwise they associate the correction with wearing the collar and might have to forever wear one or a dummy. Timing is critical. If you shout and yell at the same time they connect you with it and you aint always gonna be there

At most you need one big go on the chase close up and three little ones as they startle to fix this with an e-collar, some dogs take a heck of a deal more than that by "traditional" correction once they have had the exitement of a good chase.

So how would you use an e collar to sort this?

It couldn't be easier.

You set up the scenario, dog chases the deer and is zapped.

The dog will then associate deer chasing with a bad experience and won't repeat it.

As always this will open a massive can of worms, but don't listen to me (I have only saved our dogs life doing this) listen to likes of NTTF who know what they are on about.

For example:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/19597-snake-breaking/

[Did you also hear all the parakeets at the beginning?]

The last time I took a party of ladies (I use the term very loosely) to Ladies Day at Ascot, I'd dropped them off and returned to a parking area to wait the day out.

Whilst parked I thought I saw a couple of flocks of bright green parakeet type birds go over, thought I'd obviously mis identified them or gone bonkers mad.

Fentons owner doesn't sound awfully posh to be in that area, bloomin interlopers.

My GSP at about 18 months old decided to jump over a wall and chase a large flock of sheep, i shouted for her to come back several times as she was on her way to the sheep, she ignored me. So as i had my E collar on her at the time i gave her a shock which resulted in a loud yelp and my dog being at my side within 10 seconds. If i had not got this collar with me at this time god only knows what might have happened, she could have been shot or even attacked by the sheep ? While i was walking back towards my car over the fields the sheep were following only 15 yards behind me and my dog kept looking around behind her very worried as if to say i hope they dont get any closer ! She will not go near sheep anymore as she thinks they caused the shock and i for one think that is a satisfactory outcome and a success for the E collar

real catch 22... what do you do, if you chase them, its a game and they'll run faster and play it more often, if you sit and watch..... you dont get the response you want. i can see the benefit of an E collar, not had need to use one on my V, the jack russel and the local cats on the other hand......

real catch 22... what do you do, if you chase them, its a game and they'll run faster and play it more often, if you sit and watch..... you dont get the response you want. i can see the benefit of an E collar, not had need to use one on my V, the jack russel and the local cats on the other hand......

When you chase them and catch up with them you chastise them; they will then realise that it is not a game. I just don't understand why someone would take there dog through the park without a lead if the dog is not bidable. Lets face it, on your permission you wouldn't take your dog through the farmers sheep without a lead if it was going to chase them.