jetboil

bi9johnny

Yep, very efficient and super fast (boiled in under two minutes). I'll do a time trial when I get in. The gas canister fits inside the mug for ultra portability. It has a piezo igniter so no matches needed (although I did need it up snowdon in the wind and snow last year).

I chuck a boil in the bag meal in, 3/4 minutes later is done. Then I use the hot water for tea or washing up :) You can do beans in there, all sorts...

I even cooked some pigeon breast in one whilst in the hide one day. Highly recommend. The bigger gas canisters are cheaper..but don't nest inside. The higher you go, the longer the boil time obviously.

I have about 7/8 various cooking systems and this one actually stays in my car with a bottle of water and a can of beans (great emergency kit for the car this winter). It's about the sixe of a bag of sugar (but nowhere near as heavy).

The other manufactures offer similar...but for more cash-a-roo;

MSR Reactor (http://cascadedesigns.com/en/msr/stoves/rapid/reactor/product) uses slightly different technology.

Edited by huffhuff

does she not know how to light it in the video? :hmm: can,t beat a fire :good: no carrying about with you, and free :good:

but you've still got to carry something to put the water or whatever in over the fire... this is no more bulky than a small pan

I use mine rather than carrying a flask... I always carry water anyway so saves having to carry hot & cold liquids... instead of pouring from a flask I just fire the jetboil up and make a fresh brew.. The Nescafe 3 in one sachets are great! :good:

Jet Boils are brilliant But, they rely on gas which is bulky and difficult to get sometimes. For about the same price you can get a trangia cooker which uses a very small amount of Meths, a Sig Bottle full will last a week easily cooking 3 meals a day, they have no working parts and are impossible to break!

Ive been using the same one for 15 years and albeit a bit slower than a jet boil and slightly larger depending on which model you buy it will last forever and me more versatile!

Worth a look before you spend your hard earned cash mate :good: I would never use anything but my trangia!

Jet Boils are brilliant But, they rely on gas which is bulky and difficult to get sometimes. For about the same price you can get a trangia cooker which uses a very small amount of Meths, a Sig Bottle full will last a week easily cooking 3 meals a day, they have no working parts and are impossible to break!

Ive been using the same one for 15 years and albeit a bit slower than a jet boil and slightly larger depending on which model you buy it will last forever and me more versatile!

Worth a look before you spend your hard earned cash mate :good: I would never use anything but my trangia!

For me, the trangia is the last port of call. I will rub sticks together before using one of those. Not practical in the slightest!

FWIW My main stove is an MSR Dragonfly (after selling it I realised I'd made a mistake and bought another!) which is light and fits in a pan etc.. etc... but you still need to carry a separate fuel bottle blah blah... the point of the Jetboil is it as light (lighter) and less bulky than a flask.. I wouldn't personally recommend it as a primary camping stove (although I'm sure it would do the job) but for convenience, speed, low bulk, low weight it really can't be beat.. Mine lives in the back of the car with a couple of bottles of water and some foil packed meals as part of my winter survival kit ( I think I read someone else does the same) I just wouldn't do that with the MSR, or a parafin stove..

For me, the trangia is the last port of call. I will rub sticks together before using one of those. Not practical in the slightest!

I'd have to totally disagree, in my experience Trangias are a design marvel and do a fantastic job and a bottle of meths lasts ages and is a good deal cheaper than gas. Had the same one since I did D of E 20 years ago, still take it camping every year.

awesome bit of kit, i use mine on exercises and to get a quick brew or eat some warm food in no time, it can't be beaten. The gas isn't that expensive (about £3-4 a bottle) and it does seem to last quite a while. I resisted getting one for a while because of the price but now i'll never be without it :good: