die dove, die

chunk53

i was on the farm that i work on my day off, clearing a few pigeons and doves from the sheds. i poked my head into the grain shed and dropped a collared dove off the rafters. i went over to it and i has hit it just behind the eye (not a bad shot for low light and open sights) :P. i left it outside and continued on my rounds. when i came back to retrive it later it was no longer there... my first thoughts were dog, cat, buzzard? but it had actually thrashed about and dropped onto the grass i inspected the bird and it was still breathing very shallowly and so concered about whether the bird had suffered i shot it again in the head... still breathing... i shot it again and thinking it couldnt be alive still took it back to the house when i came to left 30 mins later the bird still seemed to alive. thoughly confued it took another 3 shots to the chest before it stopped breathing. im wondering was it actually still breathing or just a reflex? and any similar stories. cheers.

i was on the farm that i work on my day off, clearing a few pigeons and doves from the sheds. i poked my head into the grain shed and dropped a collared dove off the rafters. i went over to it and i has hit it just behind the eye (not a bad shot for low light and open sights) :P. i left it outside and continued on my rounds. when i came back to retrive it later it was no longer there... my first thoughts were dog, cat, buzzard? but it had actually thrashed about and dropped onto the grass i inspected the bird and it was still breathing very shallowly and so concered about whether the bird had suffered i shot it again in the head... still breathing... i shot it again and thinking it couldnt be alive still took it back to the house when i came to left 30 mins later the bird still seemed to alive. thoughly confued it took another 3 shots to the chest before it stopped breathing. im wondering was it actually still breathing or just a reflex? and any similar stories. cheers.

Did you shoot it with a pea shooter???

haha funny, it was a .22 air rifle. and i didnt neck it cuz from past experiances of gettin covered in brains from the hole in its head

If a little blood upsets you, could I suggest you find another pastime, your report is appalling in terms of your lack of understanding of dealing with animals and the effect that such a report on an open forum might have :no: :no: :no:

some people really need help. why would u keep shooting it, when thats not working? you sound very inexperienced. why not ask for some help, as you should be able to dispatch a wounded animal swiftly. I wont start calling you names, as its not going to educate you.

Right, most/all of what needs to be said already has been. You sound very inexperienced, shooting a species that doesn't need controlling on open sights with an air rifle probably just because you want to shoot something.

Stop shooting and get a mentor. If you don't want to neck birds, a size 10 placed above the head and then lowered towards the floor is also effective, other boot sizes work too.

In your defence; there is nothing wrong with clearing out a pest species from a barn, or using an air rifle with iron sights - if you are a good shot, and nobody is born with shooting experience so well done for asking others advice. BUT, please listen to the adive on here and get a mentor, or someone who can show you how, what and why we shoot things. Then, be prepared to dispatch your quarry properly, even if that means getting a little bit of blood on your hands, as it's your resposibility to ensure that your quarry isn't suffering. Next, try to avoid calling your posts 'Die dove, die' as that won't help your cause.

Better luck in the future.

Jesus H...this forum is getting more and more like a group of bullies everyday.The guy needs advice but mostly gets insulted by those who should know better.If you are concerned about doing the job properly chunk53 then seek help from a local shooter-if,on the other hand,you fancy being ridiculed by a bunch of berks just post on here.

Edited by bruno22rf

Jesus H...this forum is getting more and more like a group of bullies everyday.The guy needs advice but mostly gets insulted by those who should know better.If you are concerned about doing the job properly chunk53 then seek help from a local shooter-if,on the other hand,you fancy being ridiculed by a bunch of berks just post on here.

I think you are missing the point, I cant see him asking for help but boasting about being a plonker, then maybe you fall into the same category if you feel his behaviour is appropriate.

Come on guys, look at the title and read the words, this is a young lad that is on a forum and thought this might get him some respect but ended up going horibly wrong.

Airgun open sights barn clearence, no issues if you can consistanly shoot a target at 15-20 yrds to allow head shots.

We all get the occasional non kill shots and it is all about clearing up and minimising suffering so learn how to dispatch a wounded animal be it fur or feather and practice this on an animial you have already killed so you know what to do in real life as and when it happens.

Lastly, yes the post title was very poor, take note and next post remember we are all at different levels of knowledge here and for the most part be honest and people will help. We all shoot, this means killing things but repsecting the quarry is the number one rule here.

Good luck and do not give up!

right thank you to those of you how are being helpful, ok the choice of title was distasteful. i only posted on here so that somebody might be able to tell why it took so long to die. i do have confidence in my shooting ability and am a regular beater so getting bloody or handling dead birds dosent bother me in the slightest. there really is no need to take the **** if you dont like my post your welcome to voice your opinions but is there really a need to take the ****. and as i sed before i diddnt neck it or bash its head because having brain matter all over my face is just not something i enjoy, im just strange like that i guess. and as for posting it in food and drink, that was just an accident on my part and i apologize. so please in future there really is no need to post derrogative comments, i am all up for constuctive critasim.

and maidment78 thats a nice GSP (correct me if im wrong) i have 3 myself

and maidment78 thats a nice GSP (correct me if im wrong) i have 3 myself