die dove, die

chunk53

Brains on your face from necking it? How short are you? :P If you just take it by the head and swing it around at ankle height a few times till you can feel the neck break and consequently the bird to stop being alive then I don't think you'll get brains on your face :) Or get yourself a 'priest' to bash it on the head with.

Before I knew about this technique I used to shoot the bird again with my air rifle but this method is much better.

If you dont want a bit of brain matter as you call it on your hands then perhaps hunting is not for you , I have necked a awful lot of pigeons over the last 30 years and cant ever remember getting covered in brains! just hold the bird with its wings tight to its body in your left hand ( if your right handed ) and just twist the head sharply round between your thumb or forefinger and its job done.

There are other effective ways but they can leave you with a bird in one hand and a head in the other.

If you dont want a bit of brain matter as you call it on your hands then perhaps hunting is not for you , I have necked a awful lot of pigeons over the last 30 years and cant ever remember getting covered in brains! just hold the bird with its wings tight to its body in your left hand ( if your right handed ) and just twist the head sharply round between your thumb or forefinger and its job done.

There are other effective ways but they can leave you with a bird in one hand and a head in the other.

I've always found this forum very helpful and a lot of very friendly people on here but reading the comments on here I think there are some pepole who need to give this guy a break. He's had a problem with finishing the job off and instead of advice some of you are just having a go at him. Are u all perfect, never made a mistake, never wrote anything on here which could of been worded better in hindsight. I agree the title is poor taste but he apologised and showed a willingness to learn so how about people get of his back and show some support to help him become better at something we all love doing rather than putting him down and saying it might not be for him. Not everyone is born an expert

I've always found this forum very helpful and a lot of very friendly people on here but reading the comments on here I think there are some pepole who need to give this guy a break. He's had a problem with finishing the job off and instead of advice some of you are just having a go at him. Are u all perfect, never made a mistake, never wrote anything on here which could of been worded better in hindsight. I agree the title is poor taste but he apologised and showed a willingness to learn so how about people get of his back and show some support to help him become better at something we all love doing rather than putting him down and saying it might not be for him. Not everyone is born an expert

Its not about being unfriendly, why on earth would you keep shooting a animal that is easily, easily dispatched using a humane physical method?

Kyska I didnt say people are being unfriendly but usually people offer advice for any problem and try to improve us beginners and it seems people are just getting on his back as if he is doing it on purpose. He's come on here for advice so why don't people just give him advice and not lecture him on how great an easy it is for them. Just because its simple for you doesn't mean it is for everyone else

Kyska I didnt say people are being unfriendly but usually people offer advice for any problem and try to improve us beginners and it seems people are just getting on his back as if he is doing it on purpose. He's come on here for advice so why don't people just give him advice and not lecture him on how great an easy it is for them. Just because its simple for you doesn't mean it is for everyone else

Well to be fair, if he asked before having to shoot a bird I don't know how many times in his kitchen befoe its untimely demise, before posting or shooting it'd go down a lot better.

It just didn't read well, the way it was written, the candence if you like, and the OP now knows to (although he still seems apprehensive) dispatch a pricked bird. We're all under scrutiny.

As long as its dead and not suffering in a hedge

It would've died quicker in a hedge, ****s sake he shot it 6 times over half an hour to kill it, does no-one see the cruelty in that? :blink:

Bird, dog or rat, its cruel, I hope the OP thinks about his actions and about posting such behaviour in the future.

Edited by kyska

i left it outside and continued on my rounds. when i came back to retrive it later it was no longer there...

Firstly personally, i would have gone to it straight away, in this way you could have made sure it was dead at that instance. Im sure your aware what a priest is?.... essentially expensive name for a stout stick. I often have one on my person when im beating and it stays in my wax pocket most of the time. You might look for one next time your out and about, pretty good way to humanely dispatch if you reallly need to, and really not very messy.

Secondly what air rifle were you using, does it have sufficient power to humanely kill? that might explain why it did not die? And it could have been that you didnt hit the brain precisely. In future i advice and hope that you use a priest to dispatch if your worried about "brains" or neck it, as you have now learnt your method was inhumane and ineffective.

Thirdly not every shot you take turns out perfectly, although i hope you learn your lesson from some of the *well deserved rants, and take note and implicate some of the advice you have been givven.

In future you find your posts may get better responses if you give them less grotesque topic titles and present good punctuation spelling and grammar.

( Even though my own is terrible. )

Edited by demonwolf444

The OP's post isn't nice to read, but that’s enough now guys, lets move on. I'm sure Chunk's got the message.... Just learn from your mistakes buddy - on here and in the field. I know this wouldn't happen again and as long as you realise you've messed up, ensure it doesn't happen again. All the best in the future and use the past as useful experience and build on it. No one is perfect and nothing now can change what’s happened. Next topic!

Edited by Beretta Italy

ive found that some doves can suvive any thing ive shot the things straigh through the head and they have still been alive and usualy i would give them another shot and if not ring there neck. had one thow had shot in the head and still running through the undergrowth couldent get to it in time and took 3 shots before it died so i could retive it usualy would send the dog after it but dint have her

More often than not I manage to remove the bonce completely when I try wringing the necks, and they still move a lot....I usually drop them with the first shot though :lol::P

Once I clipped a woody, it fell/flew a bit and landed in a huge thicket of trees and brambles etc. and I could see it but not get to it. I must have fired 10 shots at it before I got a head shot, main problem being I couldn't focus down on it and when I moved away I couldn't see it. I'm not perfect, even after over 30 years shooting....no-one is!

I'm sure op has learned from the constructive criticism posted! :good:

In reply to kyska how could he know that 6 shots wouldn't kill it. Before u went shooting for the first time did u do a post about hitting a bird 6 times and it not dying. Any reasonable person would expect it to be dead after a few shots and would imagine a few more to the head would defiantly do the job. Wouldn't it be great if we all had your super power 'captain hindsight'

Lol, after shooting it a couple times in the head, it was dead. Only needs a tiny connection left from brain to nerves to make it twitch, move and work the lungs. Real basic brain function stuff. If you expect all yor prey to be totally motionless after you kill it, you'll be waiting a fair while. Wring the neck, give it a whack with the priest, shoot it in the head. Same difference. Don't worry, you killed it. Don't get caught up in all this 'ethical' best way to kill it chat. You shot it a couple times in the head. You killed it. But make sure when you shoot something, go to it immediately to ensure it IS dead.

Did any body learn anything from the post ? it got me thinking ,the op or anybody else for that matter should have known how to dispatch the bird before he bought the gun. got this image of it being a bunny and it turns my stomach,a grown man can't kill a dove , put his own wefare (bit of blood)on his hands before that of the bird.time he grew a pair .

This has been done to death with every view possible, most not particularly favourable, there is nobody on this site with any experience who has not made a mistake somewhere, and whilst I am not for one minute condoning his actions.......

Let him without sin cast the first stone

Time to let it go.

:yes::good::good::good: