Anyone Got a Ski holiday soon ?

MJN

Apparently it's ben snowing hard in switzerland over the past week. 21cm fell in the Saas Fee resort over the past 24 hours and 45cm on the upper slopes. Phew

Saas Fee was never going to have a problem. I am in search of my ski holiday destination and this year again it features high on my list. Unless Zermatt drops its prices it will be good old trusted Saas Fee again! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Snow Update in Austria - 360cm on the slopes and 230cm in the village when I checked last night - never seen snow like it :good:

A lot of Europe has had some massive snow storms. Austria, France and Italy were all struggling to keep roads clear this last week due to the sheer amount that has been dumped.

Some cracking images on snowfinders..

http://www.facebook.com/Snowfinders

I had a great a great time skiing in Saas Fee, Switzerland last week. So much snow as you probably saw in the press.  It isn't cheap (in fact it is very expensive). The minimum price for anything seemed to be a fiver. A coffee - 5 quid, a coke - 5 quid, a mars bar - 5 quid

At the chalet we were staying there were 8 families so I thought that the various occupations would give an indication of the state of the economy. 

3 Farmers from Scotland (borders region)

1 car dealer (well owns a chain of car dealerships) from the Midlands

2 consultant surgeons from Newcastle

1 IT Project Manager from Dublin

1 'Banker' (me)

So using this as a barometer for the economy clearly the businesses to be in are farming in Scotland and working for the NHS !!!! And living up Norf.

I just booked my skiing holiday this year. We usually go to Saas Fee but this year we are going on the other side of the mountain in Zermatt. 18/2 to 25/2 we will be there. Anyone else in Zermatt these dates?

I'm driving out this Friday for our family's boys' jolly. See you in the Hennu Stall! :drinks:

Oops! Just saw you're going in February not January. I must be excited! :yes::good::yahoo:

Edited by Logo

I had a great a great time skiing in Saas Fee, Switzerland last week. So much snow as you probably saw in the press.  It isn't cheap (in fact it is very expensive). The minimum price for anything seemed to be a fiver. A coffee - 5 quid, a coke - 5 quid, a mars bar - 5 quid

At the chalet we were staying there were 8 families so I thought that the various occupations would give an indication of the state of the economy. 

3 Farmers from Scotland (borders region)

1 car dealer (well owns a chain of car dealerships) from the Midlands

2 consultant surgeons from Newcastle

1 IT Project Manager from Dublin

1 'Banker' (me)

So using this as a barometer for the economy clearly the businesses to be in are farming in Scotland and working for the NHS !!!! And living up Norf.

I told you so... I hope you went down pists number 10 and 17, the amazing ones on the actual glacier with breathtaking views. STUNNING!

I told you so... I hope you went down pists number 10 and 17, the amazing ones on the actual glacier with breathtaking views. STUNNING!

I found it challenging. I haven't skied a lot in Europe as most of my skiing has been done in the US and I found the variety in the classification of the runs quite wide.

There are no greens

The blues were few and far between and generally easy although there some narrow icy runs.

The reds ranged from easy (few) to OMG (some should have been black)

I did a few blacks that I found easier than some of the reds.

I suspect that some of the classifications were done for 'politcal' reasons. i.e. a mountain with only one gondola to it and a resturant at the top. Don't know the name but it was the orange lift from the village itself. The runs down were hard reds and should have been black. Yet if they were black they would have less visitors and the resturant would have struggled. So they become reds!

The glacier runs were nice especially on days with good visability. Unfortunately the amount of snow we got the poor visability on some days, and the amount of powder, made the skiing even more challenging especially for my wife.

The village was great and the whole chalet likewise but we may not go again because of the lack of 'easy blue' skiing for my wife.

LOL. Have fun mate. If it is anythink like Saas Fee (and I know it is) you will LOVE IT!

I love it in the mountains. My knees and ankles don't like the skiing too much nowadays but my teenage lads and nephew fly by on a regular basis. We've been going to Zermatt for years so the boys know their way around. I know the Hennu Stall where it's nice and warm at 4pm for the house band (I've never left there sober) then only a short walk/slide into town from there. :beer:

I found it challenging. I haven't skied a lot in Europe as most of my skiing has been done in the US and I found the variety in the classification of the runs quite wide.

There are no greens

The blues were few and far between and generally easy although there some narrow icy runs.

The reds ranged from easy (few) to OMG (some should have been black)

I did a few blacks that I found easier than some of the reds.

I suspect that some of the classifications were done for 'politcal' reasons. i.e. a mountain with only one gondola to it and a resturant at the top. Don't know the name but it was the orange lift from the village itself. The runs down were hard reds and should have been black. Yet if they were black they would have less visitors and the resturant would have struggled. So they become reds!

The glacier runs were nice especially on days with good visability. Unfortunately the amount of snow we got the poor visability on some days, and the amount of powder, made the skiing even more challenging especially for my wife.

The village was great and the whole chalet likewise but we may not go again because of the lack of 'easy blue' skiing for my wife.

I'll tell you what. You are absolutely right about the classification. The fact that it is a small resort makes it attractive to me. I would say that you probably were unlucky with the runs. There are several blues that are dead easy, but they are on the north west side of the mountain, served only by a t-bar and a chair lift. You might have missed these, they are kind of isolated. Also, I share your concern about the reds. I am an early intermediate myself, so I found the runs to the village quite scary. But I did them. You know what? I remember run number 5 and it sends chills down my spine. It is as steep as steep can be, but classified as a red. NO WAY! But I like challenging myself, and I went down it every evening on my way to the village. It took me a while and I must have looked like an idiot to others, but I am proud I managed it every day. In contrast to that, red 18 is easy as a blue, and it is the highest on the mountain. Really bitterly cold there, last year it was -37c...

Don't be put off. Revisit next year and you will have more fun. I sound like an advertiser for the place, but I tell you what. I just love it so much there. I just hope Zermatt is going to be as nice. I am not bothered about apre ski, I just want to ski.... ;)

Edited by Psyxologos

I love it in the mountains. My knees and ankles don't like the skiing too much nowadays but my teenage lads and nephew fly by on a regular basis. We've been going to Zermatt for years so the boys know their way around. I know the Hennu Stall where it's nice and warm at 4pm for the house band (I've never left there sober) then only a short walk/slide into town from there. :beer:

When you get back, PLEASE let me have some tips about runs etc. I am an early intermediate and I like blues and reds, especially if they are a bit remote and I do not have to negotiate my way through a lot of traffic...

HAVE FUN! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

we usally go to arosa.. its really nice, but this year, try as i might to **** gold bars, we cannot afford it. last year i payed £50 quid (converted it) for a hot dog and two portions of chips and two drinks..

I've just returned from Zermatt. I payed @£95 for 3 burgers with chips and 10 chicken wings with BBQ dip!!

Brilliant place though. Going again next year :good: