Winchester 23 XTR Pigeon Grade (SxS)

Horrocks

Hello All,

A few months ago my grandfather gave me the above shotgun, his sight and willingness to get out and about are fading whilst mine are increasing so he passed this one on to me. I've had mixed results on pigeon with it which has led me to think the stock is far too long. It's been lengthened so I assume that the owner previous to my grandfather was a giant as I'm over 6ft and it's got a good 2 inches of extension on it.

I went on a Pheasant shoot unexpectedly earlier this week so borrowed my host's game gun, which came loosely under the heading of english game gun, i.e. a light and relatively short, pointable sxs. After lunch my father turned up with the winchester and I found that my shooting drastically tailed off. The Winchester was noticeably longer, heavier and despite being clearly meant as a game gun (its a SxS) I found it less comfortable than my host's gun.

It seems that this gun was some kind of balance between a skeet and a game gun.

Anyway, after my experience I've been turning over the option of selling it on and getting a lighter English game shotgun, or getting it fitted to me and trying it out, despite the expense that generally entails.

What I was wondering was whether anyone out there has used these Winchesters before and what success they had with them. Being rather a heavy gun and myself intending to get more into pheasant and Pigeon shooting, would a lighter SxS be of more use to me?

many thanks.

an easy way of checking the stock for you is to put the butt of the gun in the joint of your arm and lay the gun along the inside of your forearm and place your trigger finger on the trigger and it should just about the middle or tip of your trigger finger, that should give you a fair idea for fit :good:

I don't think spares are at all common for the Winchester 23.Very collectable in the states but it's getting it there.Personally I would trade it in for something a little more practical,but that's just my opinion,selling a gun which belonged to a loved one wont be easy.

Well if you get an english s/s there aren`t any spares available either,they have to be made

or at least hand fitted,so it`s not really an issue.

The Winchester 23 Pigeon Grade is a good allrounder,especially if you want to use heavier loads.

I would get it altered to suit you.