Shooting games for youngsters

urban_winter

My 10 year old son has had a couple of lessons and can hit easy clays with his .410. However, the stands at my local club are all far too hard for him. If he tried to shoot them he wouldn't hit a thing and would probably get disheartened.

The club Christmas shoot is coming up and I though I might suggest that, in addition to the usual Christmas novelties, we put on a children's stand where members kids can have a go at some really easy targets. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas. I was thinking helium balloons would be easy and fun (but I can't think how to release them safely). Clays hanging by strings are another idea, but are probably *too* easy. Coconut shy is another idea. Perhaps hand-thrown clays. Maybe we could add in some Firebird reactive targets for extra fun!

Has anyone tried anything like this?

Cheers,

U.

My 10 year old son has had a couple of lessons and can hit easy clays with his .410. However, the stands at my local club are all far too hard for him. If he tried to shoot them he wouldn't hit a thing and would probably get disheartened.

The club Christmas shoot is coming up and I though I might suggest that, in addition to the usual Christmas novelties, we put on a children's stand where members kids can have a go at some really easy targets. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas. I was thinking helium balloons would be easy and fun (but I can't think how to release them safely). Clays hanging by strings are another idea, but are probably *too* easy. Coconut shy is another idea. Perhaps hand-thrown clays. Maybe we could add in some Firebird reactive targets for extra fun!

Has anyone tried anything like this?

Cheers,

U.

SNOOKER

2 going away birds 1 black 1 coloured released at the same time, from seperate traps.

2 youngsters in seperate cages 1 cartridge each, side by side one has to hit the black the the second has to hit the colour, the black must be broken first. You do this on 5 pairs black scores 1 point, the colour 2 points, on the second pair black 1 point, colour 4 points and son to the to the 5th pair where the colour is worth 10 points, if you miss a black and hit the colour you get 1 point.

The speed and timing between the clays can be adjusted to suit the age of the children.

Can also be done as Father and son, teams with the youngster having 2 shots at the black if required.

Edited by bakerboy

I attended a young shots day that Gloucestershire wildfowlers ran in the late summer,and they had all the kids hitting nice slow going away clays.

I take my lad clay shooting and find that he can easily hit incoming clays that are thrown so that they stall infront of you before dropping.

If its possible you could have one of each and see how the kids get on