Is this feasible ?

30-6

A farmer friend is having teriffic problems with rats in his farm house which has been empty for over a year (he is not living in it at the moment). He has been putting poison down and it is going as fast as he does it. Would it be feasible to set up a bait station in say a shaped cardboard box with a sandbag as a backstop ? My only concern is the short range shooting, a .22 at about 11.2 ft/lbs is obviously going to overpenetrate at about 10 yds, and i don't want runners or wrigglers chucking blood everywhere. But if i could get this to work i could get many in one sitting. Failing this where could i get a dozen " T-Rex " traps for a good price?

A farmer friend is having teriffic problems with rats in his farm house which has been empty for over a year (he is not living in it at the moment). He has been putting poison down and it is going as fast as he does it. Would it be feasible to set up a bait station in say a shaped cardboard box with a sandbag as a backstop ? My only concern is the short range shooting, a .22 at about 11.2 ft/lbs is obviously going to overpenetrate at about 10 yds, and i don't want runners or wrigglers chucking blood everywhere. But if i could get this to work i could get many in one sitting. Failing this where could i get a dozen " T-Rex " traps for a good price?

What is needed here is a major campain, otherwise the house could be lost to vermin (i kid you not i have seen buildings demolished from excess vermin and damage). use the air gun if you wish but far better to get the pro's in asap - lots of poison, lots of traps, lots of experiance.

If your intent on shooting a few which i cannot see why you should'nt, if its a springer try putting your pellets in upside down or skirt first, at short range accuracy wont be a problem & you will have less runners i promise you :good: even if its a PCP its still poss.

Enjoy :good:

buy eighty odd rolls of ducttape, and fill the house with water.... i JOKE... I have allot of sucess with the liquidised cat food method at around 4am. Get some terriers in... but make sure you remove the poison. But you either give up or just keep shooting poisoning and trapping.. a large scale infestation may call for someone with more experience perhaps?

Is there a source of food there such as grain etc, I used to have hundreds when I had kennels, was impossible to keep on top of them as I couldnt use poison, as soon as the kennels stopped operating within a month rats had gone, no food no rat

:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

Tamper Proof Species Specific rodent monitors allow you to use any bait you want, I have a commercial Kennels and Cattery I have been dealing with on this basis for nearly 4 years, their problems went away long ago and its just a maintenance program now!

On the other hand, ratty is only there because you have something he wants, get rid of the food/drink/harborage and he will go! :yes::yes:

Edited by Dekers

Fill the walls with expanding foam ?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

No stopping you is there, but there will be no stopping ratty with this method either!

You may have a chance if you can somehow mix in copious quantities of wire wool with your foam mix! :yes:

:good::good::good:

Edited by Dekers

They seem to be coming in under the sink unit, and i did notice in the garden there is some digging going on where a load of plant bulbs have been dug up next to what could be a rat hole, beside the garden wall, which is next to the farmyard. This is about 6 foot from the farmhouse so must have a connection. I have decided to go with the traps first inside and outside, and perhaps shoot in the garden, i don't like poison personally i rather a body i can see rather than smell. I will speak to him as soon as and see if i can get a house key off him so i can come and go as i like so as not to bother him as only him and his son run the farm, and they work hard.

Cheers for all the replies.

They seem to be coming in under the sink unit, and i did notice in the garden there is some digging going on where a load of plant bulbs have been dug up next to what could be a rat hole, beside the garden wall, which is next to the farmyard. This is about 6 foot from the farmhouse so must have a connection. I have decided to go with the traps first inside and outside, and perhaps shoot in the garden, i don't like poison personally i rather a body i can see rather than smell. I will speak to him as soon as and see if i can get a house key off him so i can come and go as i like so as not to bother him as only him and his son run the farm, and they work hard.

Cheers for all the replies.

It is VERY rare you get to smell them, certainly it does happen, and it is possible, but I believe there is only one approved knockdown poison on the market in the UK for rats/mice all the rest have a delay in action (perhaps 2 now if Rentokils patent has expired), this means ratty makes it home not feeling well and simply doesn't wake up again, the result, in the VAST majority of cases, is NO smell! :yes::good:

Edited by Dekers

I've seen this and many other types of trap and from a professional point of view they tend to be non starters.

Unfortunately all traps and poisons have to be approved before we can use them and this wouldn't have a chance.

The problem being, even rats have a raft of cruelty legislation attached to them, this would never get past the regs, with a serious risk of drowning, and attracting non target species etc it just would not happen!

With regards what the end user/consumer can do, then the options are much wider, but you could still be pulled up on all sorts of legislation.

It may seem daft but rats have rights, so be careful! :yes:

:good::good: