Anybody got any old bicycles they want off've their hands?

Horrocks

I'm wondering if anyone out there has any old (preferably road) bikes they want to get off've their hands? I'm at uni down in Reading and myself and a couple of my mates want to get cycling together, obviously cost is an issue so they don't fancy the expense of new bikes (I'm already accounted for).

I'm a dab hand at getting bikes back in working order so perhaps some of you have got a bike out back that perhaps has been sat outside for a while/ isn't worth the trouble of putting up on t'internet? As a general rule they don't deserve to head to the skip and I'd appreciate wiping the cynical smiles off've my friends faces if I got them a couple sorted. I've tried the dump but frustratingly health and safety is an issue, ridiculous really.

I guess we're looking for medium sized men's road bikes, any age.

Many thanks, do drop me a PM if you've got the kind of thing I'm after. I've got my car down in Reading so can drive, and I'm back in Essex quite a bit if anyone in that general region has one lingering about.

Josh

Edit: oh, obviously if you wanted some cash for them/it that would be fine, depending on the condition of the bike ie. how much we'd have to spend to get it road worthy.

Edited by Horrocks

Get yourself down to your nearest recycling center (used to be called "dumps") and see how many nice bikes they have-our local one normally has about 10 decent bikes that just need a few pence spent on them-my entire family has bikes from this source and they were all £15 each.I.ve got a Carrera Vulcan (hand made Alluminium)that just needed the brake cables oiling-for less than £20- its worth more as scrap!!

Cant speak for all Tips , but the one Ive been working at for the last 18 months wont sell anything , not a thing .

I took this job on as an extra form of income , only working at weekends , so get the overtime rate , wont be worth my while other wise . So Ive never done a weekday up there , apart from a few bank holidays , so the rules maybe relaxed during the week , but to be perfectly honest , I wouldnt have thought so .

Theses a long list in the site office that covers everything that we (The staff) cant take , And a really short one that covers everything we can .

However , the rule that I work to is basically , I have to run anything I like pass the boss up there , as long as he gives me an OK , its fine to take .

There has been a real problem with ID thief from Laptops , PC's and mobile phones etc , in the past . So all of these items are a massive no no!

And anything which it eletrical is a bit iffy , due to the PAT testing .

Other than that , its down to the boss to say yes or no .

You simply would not believe what Ive had from there in the time Ive worked there , over 2 tons on weights , ive replaced all my bars with spin locking one's , around 6 Barbour jackets , plus another 4-5 other makes of waxed cotton jackets , tents , flasks , cookers , shooting mats , decoys , hard gun cases , gunslips , custom made skinning knives , torches and muilt tools , waxed over trousers , boots and a £300 North face parka just to name a few items .

Hope this helps .

All the very best fellas .

Andy .

That is what I would do.

I am surprised by the H&S comment, our tip has a whole heap of stuff for sale, I thought the cash they get back on those provides part of their income?

I suppose that if he were to get a bike from the tip which has no brakes and both bike and rider end up under a lorry questions would be asked..................

I don't think it's a minefield at all. The bike would be bought or picked up as is, it's up to a responsible rider to make sure the brakes etc. work. Any other arguement just implies a pointless waste of potentially retrievable products. Another example of health and safety regs running pointlessly roughshod over a totally legitimate, recycling conscious thing to do.

As far as I am aware dumps are allowed to "recycle" (i.e.sell you) anything that is not hazardous or electrical (unless you are a trader).Comments regarding the potential safety of a cycle bought from such a source are a little pedantic-if you are not capable of examining a push bike with regards to its road worthiness then are you really safe to ride one?Oh,and by the way,most dumps have loads of sets of golf clubs if you fancy dipping your toe in that particular pond-our dump charges £5 each club or will do a deal for a complete set.