One for the Mac guys

JonD

Hi All,

I have just been given a used Mac Book Pro 15" running Mac OS 10.6.8.

It seems to be pretty much a clean install and as I have not touched a Mac since I was at school... 1990's wondering what apps and tips the Mac owners can recommend.

Is it capable of being upgraded to Lion? Is it worth it?

Cheers,

Jon.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What model MacBook Pro is it? Does it have a single touchpad, or a visible mouse button? If it's the latter, you can't install Lion IIRC.

Lock down your drive using FileVault (Snow Leopard and Lion, under the settings) it'll encrypt the entire disk and decrypt on the fly. Practically impenetrable without the key.

Depending on what you want to use it for, I would go for the iWork and iLife suite. It'll cover all the basics and also the fun stuff, like video editing (iMovie) and photo management (iPhoto)

Make sure you learn the gestures. Two finger scrolling in a webpage is possibly the best invention ever. If you're running a newer MacBook, you can swipe to go back and forwards (three fingers) and quickly view the desktop by swiping up with four fingers. (may need to be switched on in the settings)

If you want to upgrade to Lion, go via the AppStore, which will be on your Mac. Click to buy and it'll download.

What model MacBook Pro is it? Does it have a single touchpad, or a visible mouse button? If it's the latter, you can't install Lion IIRC.

Lock down your drive using FileVault (Snow Leopard and Lion, under the settings) it'll encrypt the entire disk and decrypt on the fly. Practically impenetrable without the key.

Depending on what you want to use it for, I would go for the iWork and iLife suite. It'll cover all the basics and also the fun stuff, like video editing (iMovie) and photo management (iPhoto)

Make sure you learn the gestures. Two finger scrolling in a webpage is possibly the best invention ever. If you're running a newer MacBook, you can swipe to go back and forwards (three fingers) and quickly view the desktop by swiping up with four fingers. (may need to be switched on in the settings)

If you want to upgrade to Lion, go via the AppStore, which will be on your Mac. Click to buy and it'll download.

Cheers, this is the spec:

Model Number: A1260

Model Family: MacBook Pro 15.4"

Processor: 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo (T8300)

Manufacturer: Intel

# of CPUs: 1

Codename: Penryn

Display:

Size: 15.4"

Finish: Glossy

Resolution: 1440x900

Backlight: LED-Backlit

Base Memory: 4GB PC2-5300 SODIMM

Brand: Apple

Wireless: 802.11a/b/g/n

Color(s): Aluminum

Original OS: Mac OS X 10.5.2

Battery: 60-watt-hour removable lithium-polymer

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (256MB)

Base Storage: 320GB 5400RPM SATA 2.5"

Optical Drive: 8x DL Superdrive

It has a touchpad and then a single long mouse button.

Jon.

You should be ok to put Lion on that, as it's Intel, especially if it's already running Snow Leopard. However Snow Leopard will be a bit quicker on it.

I would save the £26 for some beers. You'll get much more enjoyment out of SL.

Edited by Billy.

LibreOffice 3.4.1 ... don't waste your money on MS Office.

Mac OS X Version 10.7.2 works well for me. Be prepared for the different way in which files are saved after changes; you don't use "Save As" any more on some applications. The Preview application opens up all kinds of imagery, as well as PDF files. The software retains its ability to read formats like JPEG 2000, OpenEXR, TIFF, but it has lost the option to ‘Save As’ a certain type of file by invoking the universal keyboard shortcut Cmd + Shift + S. On Lion, Preview now forces users who wish to save the same document in the same format with a different name to choose Export from the File menu. You can revert to a previous version from within the application. Works well for me.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1459

I wouldn't bother upgrading to Lion, Snow Leopard works fine for me and does all it need to. Besides, I have that many applications I don't want to run the risk of conflicts. I can't think of any essential applications, mine are used purely for graphics so I have the Adobe suite CS5 running on both with a few extra applications. It does depend what you wish to use it for.

I wouldn't bother upgrading to Lion, Snow Leopard works fine for me and does all it need to. Besides, I have that many applications I don't want to run the risk of conflicts. I can't think of any essential applications, mine are used purely for graphics so I have the Adobe suite CS5 running on both with a few extra applications. It does depend what you wish to use it for.

Cheers guys,

As someone who has been anti Apple for years and has 20 years professional experience of all flavours of Windows, both client and server etc i'll say the following:

If you have little or no knowledge of computers and want everything to be easy... buy a Mac.

If you want amazing battery life an a battery monitor that doesn't lie... buy a Mac

If you want a very easy to use computer that pretty much makes every basic task easy... Mmm, buy a Mac.

If you want a simple backup solution built in.. Buy a Mac.

OK, I have played with this for maybe 6 hours today since receiving it, installed Office, configured Outlook and played around with loads of things. I have been absolutely blown away by how bloody good this thing is, it runs quicker than my year old high end laptop and makes Windows 7 and Office 2010 look VERY VERY dated.

OK, I was very lucky and was given it but would buy one tomorrow :)

Actually the battery monitor lied to me, it told me I had 3:36 at 18:30 and still have 46 mins left despite playing with it all night. My laptop tells me I have 3 hours then pops up asking for power after an hour :(

Hope this helps someone making a decision which way to go :)

Jon.

The macs are very smart, they save power by turning off one processor if you're only doing a couple of low power tasks to increase the battery life

I've had 3 macs one I swapped my laptop for (that got me hooked it was a Powerbook and was awesome and tiny) then I got a Mac Book Pro one of the old ones with the long button (loved it more than my new one) apple then cocked up a repair on my old one and I got a free upgrade to the new model (not as good as the old one)

OK, I have played with this for maybe 6 hours today since receiving it, installed Office, configured Outlook and played around with loads of things. I have been absolutely blown away by how bloody good this thing is, it runs quicker than my year old high end laptop and makes Windows 7 and Office 2010 look VERY VERY dated.

You're going about it the wrong way. Why do you need Outlook? Outlook is just a Microsoft Email program - it's the same as using Internet Explorer - A Microsoft product to access a service.

You can use Mail (in built) or many other email softwares. Thunderbird is also a good alternative.

What I find great is that you're running a February 2009 MacBook Pro and you say it makes a high end Windows 7 laptop dated. Imagine what it'd be like to own an i7 2011 MacBook ;)

Seriously though - bin Outlook.

Although, if like me you connect outlook to exchange...keep it. Mail is exchange compliant, but without all the bells and whistles. Plus, I like to keep the two separate. Outlook for work, mail for personal.

Also, connecting a mac to a windows domain is easier than connecting a windows pc to a domain. Go figure?!?!?

Edited by huffhuff

No DVD? How's that an improvement when I want to install CS5 from my, ummmm, install DVD's? What's the replacement to be eh?

You must be kidding...

How did/do you install Lion? That's the way the industry is moving.

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/

Your serial number is the way to unlock the software, not the discs ;)

Edited by Billy.

You must be kidding...

How did/do you install Lion? That's the way the industry is moving.

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/

Your serial number is the way to unlock the software, not the discs ;)

I'm not running Lion, I've got a snowy leopard....meooow.

Also, what happens when my clients post me a DVD with all their logos and stuff on, do I say to them oh, you need to send that to Apple?

Eh?

My CS5 came from a third party supplier that offered a whacking great discount, that was, I admit, a download jobby... THAT I THEN BACKED UP TO DVD. What else am I going to hang off the runner beans as a bird scarer when I'm done? A laptop is wayyyyy to heavy for a bit of garden twine and a cane to support.

I'm not running Lion, I've got a snowy leopard....meooow.

Also, what happens when my clients post me a DVD with all their logos and stuff on, do I say to them oh, you need to send that to Apple?

Eh?

Say, "Save the postage, here's my DropBox account"

They drop the files to you and you don't have to wait for the postman.

Say, "Save the postage, here's my DropBox account"

They drop the files to you and you don't have to wait for the postman.

I think they've got a long way to go yet before thats a goer.

I guess they want to get rid of the DVD so you'll download all your films from iTunes. I got my kids all ready to watch a film on my AppleTV. Popcorn all ready, all sitting comfortably, bought the film ..... got the message "Film will be downloaded and ready to watch in 5 Hours" ***???

I think they've got a long way to go yet before thats a goer.

I guess they want to get rid of the DVD so you'll download all your films from iTunes. I got my kids all ready to watch a film on my AppleTV. Popcorn all ready, all sitting comfortably, bought the film ..... got the message "Film will be downloaded and ready to watch in 5 Hours" ***???

Why is it going to be a while before that a goer?

Some logos and and documents aren't really going to be any more than 200MB. If you sent them as they were, you'd probably be looking at a 10 minute upload and a 2 minute download.

Compress them and you can half that time.

I'm having problems syncing iDisk now which I think is down to apple having already effectively binned it despite it technically still going.

I'll need a reliable way of accessing docs and PDFs on my iPhone remotely and iDisk was great for that.

Not upgrading to lion tho. Both the mac pro and MacBook are early 2008 models.

I don't use dropbox, I use YOUSENDIT.COM. It's bad enough getting folks to use that, many will want to just 'burn a disc'. Cloud services are great till your Broadband goes tits up for the day, then your screwed. Thanks god I've got two iMac's with a DVD burner on each. Cobblers to 'upgrading' to a Mac with less flexibility. No-one's answered the runner bean issue yet either.