Cocker Spaniel - Problem

scolopax

Re read your problem.Ok get your point on pegging birds.Yes most dogs will peg a bird but if it had been trained a bit more a simple shout of leave it should be enough.If mine dont leave it i check if not pricked or wounded and make the dog watch it go away with repeated leave it.It sounds like his dog is getting better with a bit more experience :good:

Good plan I'll bear it in mind the couple mine pegged were in really thickcover so I though she was flushing them difficult if you can't see the dog in winds

and not just peg them but kill them, the more they flap and squeak the more she bites them.

come on lads, some posts here are indeed very harsh and even boardering on insulting. its a fair point that the basic training has not been layed down right and its plain to see but were all like minded lads so why not give some good advice to get this lad back on track?

I'm not hard on anyone, but the statement above your quote suggests to me this dog is beyond help as a gundog. Some experienced dogs will crush a runner having been spurred in the past (IMO not acceptable and I would retire the dog) but for a dog that doesn't pick dummies or dead birds :no:

I'm not hard on anyone, but the statement above your quote suggests to me this dog is beyond help as a gundog. Some experienced dogs will crush a runner having been spurred in the past (IMO not acceptable and I would retire the dog) but for a dog that doesn't pick dummies or dead birds :no:

never heard so much waffle in all my life!! come on man ***... retire a 2 year old dog!!!

hows about addresss the problem.... people who get rid of dogs that easy are dumb! they just keep bringing new dogs in coz the cant be assed to get the job done!

I agree with you on the dummy and dead bird bit.All of dog handlers i know use dummies etc.Even FTCH dogs should love bringing in dummies etc.If a dog has been sent for a retrieve it should bring it back that is what you have told him to do full stop.Every dog iv'e had and i have had loads always enjoyed dummies etc even the old experienced one that have had hundreds of game.

As to the crushed bird make sure it has not hit trees etc on way down or landed on something solid before you condemn the dog.It takes a bit of experience to tell sometimes Even A panel trial judges cant tell.Give the dog benefit if in doubt but if continues its a pet time Free to good home. :good:

Why would he want to re home it ? Not everybodt desires a dog of field trial standard. Believe it or not for a beating dog retrieving is not the be all and end all. As for killing/ pegging, definately not desirable but on the big shoot we go on a couple of brace a day is no problem whatsoever, in fact most of the dogs present will pick7peg that many during the course of a shoot day. A couple of brace a drive may be problem but we are not there yet.

A gundog that will not retrieve and kills game is not a gundog any sane shooting person would want. Regarding your last sentence, " but we are not there yet", my guess is...it will not be long!

Eccles...this is not a question of birds hitting trees mate, the original poster has already said that the dog is a chaser of game and a killer of game.

Edited by straightbarrel