Decoying on Peas

Anthony

I have access to a 72 acre pea field and am having trouble decoying the birds. The problem is when I arrive and shoot a couple early on they then settle on the other half of the field. Is the only way about stopping this by having extra guns and gas gane etc any advice will be appreciated.

Do you have any techniques for decoying on peas that may be usefull.

The most frustrating thing is that the pigeons are feeding directly in the middle with no cover for a hide and although I know I should go where the pigeons are flying they seem to appear from all directions and identifying the flight line is tricky!!!!

I shot 18 the other day but there are plenty more, its just getting them to prefere to land where I set up.

Shooting big fields is always a problem. ;)

Another shooter, gas gun/bird scarers, fertilizers sacks on poles,parking in the open,etc, I have tried them all.

Sometimes they work, sometimes they don,t.

If you can,t do any of those things (or they don,t work), try to get on the "main" flightline.

You should then get the best of the action.

18 dead birds is not too bad, assuming you missed a few, thats not a bad result.

If you can get in to the middle of the field, without damaging the crop (up the tractor lines), then set up as low a hide as possible and shoot sitting down.

You might be suprised what the pigeons will ignore, if they want to feed in a particular place.

Anthony,

If the birds are determined to settle on one part of the field, and you have a magnet, place the magnet out there, with carrier bags tied to the arms.

This will keep the birds off.

Set up a decoy pattern in your site of choice and give that a go...usually works. ;)

There are some sitty trees around the edge of the field but the particular part is down a hill and my rotor device will barely be seen. I intend to position my magnet on the rise of the hill and there is a thicker hedge row there. My previous position was well hidden but the pigeons were not keen to land.

The idea of setting up in the middle of the field is a great idea and the farmer is so keen for the pigeons to be shot I dought he would mind. However has anyone ever tried this and what are the hiding techniques, do you just sit on a small stall with your head just above the crop, obviously with a veil on. Would my magnet be usefull.

This particular field is a pigeon shooters nightmare yet there are hundreds of pigeons attacking it daily but always in the wrong place.

Anthony,

If you get on so well with your farmer try a trick one of my mates uses.

If the flightline is down the other end of the field...go there.

Dig a hole in one of the tracklines so you can comfortably sit on the floor, in between the peas.

He has used this on a number of occasions.

Maybe a suitable camo net draped round you is all you need for a hide.

Whatever you do , discuss with the farmer and fill the bloody hole in after. ;)