best kind of dog for shooting pigeons

The little German dogs are ace, the German terrier is a fierce valiant and fierless *******, who will work pig all day and never tire of agressing them. The Teckle, a wire hair version of the Dasch hund will do all the above does plus blood track for miles and miles, ( a graet dog to have on your knee when in a high seat in winter waiting for pig, bit like a very mobile and usefull hot water bottle!!) and the daschy, the classic does it all. All can also be used for earth work and are formidable with both badger( Legal here) and fox.

Great little ( generally calm) dogs. I said generally because the German terrier is a hand full , mainly a dog for driven pig and is the most agressive little ****** I have ever met and scares me more than any pit bull ever would if he has decided this pig is his!!

Err. GSD = German Shephered Dog. At nearly 40 kg little she wasn't :lol:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What colour is he/she ? You will be fine with the lab mate. Train it well, and enjoy every second I love dogs to pieces and could mooch about with them all day. I want either a choclate lab, or the nearly White ones.

Have you seen how many Labrador owners have gone blind tho ? (sorry think it was a joke on here the other day)

most of my shooting buddies have labs...... One of them said they are a bit boring to shoot with!

Not to mention the fact that they are slobbering eating machines that knock over everything in the house with their damm tails.....,,

each to his own eh :D

as to training isn't fenton a lab??? :lol: :lol:

Edited by utectok

I personally hate that statement "Labs are born half trained", do not buy into that mind set! To me it encourages lazy handling and a thought process of getting a dog that doesn't need much work. Yes they are in general steadier than a spaniel, but why settle for something half trained. Take pride in your dog and put the work in, nothing ruins a days shooting more than a ill mannered dog! And on the up side if you have a well schooled dog with you it makes the day so much better!!

A spaniel is mental mate. Your better with the lab, unless it will be worked daily and on good long walks then you maybe want the spaniel but for a pet and other bits aswell the lab I would say is the better dog. All the spaniels I know are bouncing off the Walls constantly. Don't get me wrong great dogs, lovely looking, and can be trained very well indeed, But pure mental. 1 of the spaniels I no is 10 and is still a head case Once he's out that tractor. Good as gold with the kids too. But if he wasn't out all day am sure their house would be in chunks and paw prints on the ceiling.

Edited by dan-250

Yes they are in general steadier than a spaniel, but why settle for something half trained.

Hi mate, am sorry if if came across a bit curt and abrupt, but if you find yourself with a hot lab you will soon find out they aren't born half trained. Look into the breeding of whatever dog you go for and invest in a few lessons with a good handler, believe me it will make your time with the dog so much more enjoyable. I'm far from an expert but having had a a bit of experience now i couldn't just make do with a dog thats just ok but at least she/he seems steady!

Yes they are in general steadier than a spaniel, but why settle for something half trained.

Hi mate, am sorry if if came across a bit curt and abrupt, but if you find yourself with a hot lab you will soon find out they aren't born half trained. Look into the breeding of whatever dog you go for and invest in a few lessons with a good handler, believe me it will make your time with the dog so much more enjoyable. I'm far from an expert but having had a a bit of experience now i couldn't just make do with a dog thats just ok but at least she/he seems steady!

no ofence taken mate thanx for your input

Edited by dastardlyandmuttly

would a briitany spaniel be good for the job

I use mine for decoying,but if you are just decoying then go for a lab or spaniel,Brittany's can be pig headed, and sitting in a hide is not top of their fun things to do,saying that once trained they do the job very well,but as a first dog,it might well end up training you :lol: