My (Almost finished) CZ452-17HMR project

Redditch

This is my (Almost finished) CZ452-17HMR project.

She started life as a standard CZ452 American Varmint with 16 inch threaded bull barrel (Thick and heavy)

Standard she was fitted with a normal Walnut stock and nothing else, except one mag, came with her.

First thing I did was purchase three extra mags, giving me four 5 shot mags total. I have four 10 shot mags on order though :rolleyes:

Then I purchased a Bushnell Banner Dusk and Dawn scope in 3-9x50 with illuminated reticle.

Next up was a moderator, which I decided had better be good, so took the Wildcat Predator 8 with 17 calibre insert. This moderator is a full bore model, and is much, much, quieter than either of my friends mods (Wildcart Cub, and Wildcat Whisper), so well worth it's expense.

Next to get the treatment was the stock, as stated a standard Walnut sporting model. I took this off and replaced it with a Boyds Laminated Thumbhole, a lot heavier, and a lot prettier too, but much better on the wrist as well, good pointability.

Then it was drill the stock to accept some sling swivel studs (Very carefully, 4mm holes), and then screw those in.

Then it was attach the rear sling swivel, fit the Harris 9.5 to 13.5 inch swivelling bipod and sling swivel on to the forend too, and finished.

Now just waiting on my trigger kit to arrive from Canada and I'll be totally finished

Hope you like it (Even in gale force gusts she prints 1.25 inch groups at 100 metres, so probably 0.5 inch on a wind still day) :good:

Appologies for the bad picture, taken with my IPAD2 :blush:

post-39481-0-13083400-1323086969.jpg

Edited by Redditch

Nice looking setup !

MAy I ask when you got your stock from boyds as i tryed to by a boyds stock for my HMR and

they said they didnt do the in letting currently for the .17hmr cz452 / 22wmr ! :(

I bought mine of EBAY for £175.00 plus postage :good: It was brand new, inlet with all holes bored, even the pilot hole for the screw had been bored but never screwed :yes:

As far as I know Edgar Brothers do one for the 452/455 and that costs about £250.00 new.

Several other people make them too, some already inletted and the bedding sorted, some you have to do ALL the finishing yourself, including a lot of sanding !!

Good luck

ps If I was you, I'd check around, and maybe if need be try your local RFD for one from Edgar Brothers too

Edited by Redditch

just need a nice trigger guard now mate then she will look the nuts :D

try laminategunstocks.co.uk mate they will sort you out also look at there tacti-cool stock for the cz yummy

Nah, trigger guard I'm not bothered about. The trigger itself is actually quite good, just want to remove some slack out of it, and maybe lighten it a little too, although it's quite good now as already said :good::lol:

Some nice stuff there boys.

I have a question for all of you.

What makes you buy a heavy barrel for a rim fire??

The only advantage with them is they stay accurate as the barrel warms up.

My 7mm rem mag (78grs of powder will shoot 3 quick shots before the barrel heats up and has to cool)(its a sporter barrel)(my 22250 will fire many more shots(35grof powder), again a sporter).

I have a HMR an anschutz sporter and doubt I could heat the barrel in the field enough for it to alter the zero.. So why carry the extra weight???.

Hi YDS

and makes it more accurate in my opinion...

and i like the feel of the little extra weight...

Thanks for you'r reply, It is your opinion and totally unproven as regards more accurate. A barrel is accurate(or not) because of many factors. Extra Weight isn't one unless many shots are to be fired quickly.

Crown,chamber,throat,twist, and mate up to action have far more as well as the most important 3, you the sight and the ammo.

The fact you like the balance is more valid.

all my guns are sporter (i have had varmint barrels) my 22250 and 7mm will shoot 1 inch groups @ 200m's, for a field gun why will anymore accurcy be needed?

I don't want to get into an argument about CF barrels or take this thread off topic but i cannot believe they even make heavy barrel sporter rimfires there i no REAL need.

Not a dig, just curious if the guns are decided upon beacause they HAVE a heavy barrel?

Edited by yds

This is my (Almost finished) CZ452-17HMR project.

She started life as a standard CZ452 American Varmint with 16 inch threaded bull barrel (Thick and heavy)

Standard she was fitted with a normal Walnut stock and nothing else, except one mag, came with her.

First thing I did was purchase three extra mags, giving me four 5 shot mags total. I have four 10 shot mags on order though :rolleyes:

Then I purchased a Bushnell Banner Dusk and Dawn scope in 3-9x50 with illuminated reticle.

Next up was a moderator, which I decided had better be good, so took the Wildcat Predator 8 with 17 calibre insert. This moderator is a full bore model, and is much, much, quieter than either of my friends mods (Wildcart Cub, and Wildcat Whisper), so well worth it's expense.

Next to get the treatment was the stock, as stated a standard Walnut sporting model. I took this off and replaced it with a Boyds Laminated Thumbhole, a lot heavier, and a lot prettier too, but much better on the wrist as well, good pointability.

Then it was drill the stock to accept some sling swivel studs (Very carefully, 4mm holes), and then screw those in.

Then it was attach the rear sling swivel, fit the Harris 9.5 to 13.5 inch swivelling bipod and sling swivel on to the forend too, and finished.

Now just waiting on my trigger kit to arrive from Canada and I'll be totally finished

Hope you like it (Even in gale force gusts she prints 1.25 inch groups at 100 metres, so probably 0.5 inch on a wind still day) :good:

Appologies for the bad picture, taken with my IPAD2 :blush:

how much was ya mod mate if you dont mind me asking.

• 3 weeks later...

Sweet bit of kit there Ray , has it been blooded yet ? hope your keeping well

ATB Steve

Yep, it's been blooded, but not anymore since I altered the trigger. Should be even better now :good:

Can't wait to get out on the foxes this coming week, maybe a few rabbits might fall under the lamp too :yes:

As regards the heavy barrel, I took it because it happened to be the only screwed thread 17hmr/22wmr I could get at that moment. That said, it is ideal on a rimfire if you are knocking off lots of rabbits, as the barrel could then warm up (It is very quiet with this mod), and the rabbits have a habit of sitting still so long as they don't get scared by the crack of the rifle, so a lot of mukiple shots can be made in quick succession

You have to remember that with the light bullet the 17hmr fires, that even a small amount of movement can have large consequences at the ranges (Upto 200 metres) that this round is used at

Edited by Redditch

So, it's now had the flip up sight covers (Butler Creek), the trigger kit (YoDave Canada), and a sling fitted too. I also honed the trigger slightly, so it is crisp, safe (Won't go off if dropped on it's butt from 6-8 inches), and has all creep removed, but will fire if you breath on it :yes:

Here a photo of how it would have come from the gunsmiths, and a photo of it in all it's glory after it is totally finished as a project :good:

post-39481-0-21037900-1324847133.jpg

post-39481-0-33620100-1324847152.jpg