Tom Tom or Garmin ?

docholiday

We had a built in jobby in our Honda CRV, could not justify the cost in the Ford S Max replacement, I was going for Tom Tom but the guy in the shop recommended the Garmin and we have never regretted it, been all over France and Switzerland as well, and never let us down, so easy to use.

Tom Tom. But, if you have an iPhone there's a freebie app, navfree UK & ROI that's worth looking at.

Beware, they will all send you the wrong way, down a dead end, along a series of farm track rather than on the Motorway or to a junction where you can't turn as directed at least once! It's a good idea to study a map before the jouney and have an idea of where you should be going.

At least they don't have voices that say, "I told you to turn left at that junction!" :lol:

Use this site for checking prices, I've used it for years and never found anything better.

Also I've had many reconditioned TomTom's over the years and apart from a sticker on the box you would have NO idea at all they were recons, plus you still get 12 months warranty.

http://www.satnav-discounts.co.uk/tomtom-go/tomtom-refurbs.htm#prices

The tom tom Go 1000 is one hell of a bit of kit, and the Live HD traffic is excellent imo

I have been using tomtom for years,drive all over the country,and holidays in europe and it never misses a beat,currently using tt 1000 live,a great bit of kit,my car and navara both have built in sat systems,but they are no where as accurate and fast as the tomtom.

Hi

I just had my lad download the Navfree on to my iphone, it's very good apart from it's not loud enough for me as i've worked in a foundry for well over thirty years which had pretty much wrecked my hearing :/

I've enquired about a couple of cheap s/h Garmins that were for sale on another forum but both are reluctant to answer PM's for some reason :hmm:

navfree1.jpg

navfree2.jpg

John :)

I think this argument is similar to the Browning Beretta one, both very good, you will not regret either choice.

I think you have it about right. In my opinion after having many different makes of Tomtom and other makes pick one you like best and get the best you can afford they will all get you to the same place. Its the same as pc or mac, I have a pc but would like a mac but can't afford one but I would not say get a pc as they are market leaders just so you would get the same as me. Ydp

Use this site for checking prices, I've used it for years and never found anything better.

Also I've had many reconditioned TomTom's over the years and apart from a sticker on the box you would have NO idea at all they were recons, plus you still get 12 months warranty.

http://www.satnav-discounts.co.uk/tomtom-go/tomtom-refurbs.htm#prices

The tom tom Go 1000 is one hell of a bit of kit, and the Live HD traffic is excellent imo

Top tip, just ordered one, thanks. :good:

Up until recently I've always had Garmin satnav/gps, they are excellent bits of kit but I have just bought a Tom Tom and they are much better... :good:

If you are going to buy a TomTom I'd highly recommend getting one with the 'Live' facility, it's much better than the traffic updates you get with other satnavs. The live facility actually uses mobile phones to work out where congestion is and it's very accurate. :yes:

In comparison to the Garmin, I found the TomTom to be much more versatile, it even allows you to search places on google....

My advice; buy a TomTom ;)