aggressive cocker spaniel

fowler__88

Could he be adopting the old adage "best form of defense is attack"? (Although he hasn't done so yet). Mine is 2 1/2 and has been exactly the same. IMO cockers are very different and you walk a fine line between them being "cocky" and totally the opposite end of the scale and insecure. I would say that he is unsure/insecure. I would disagree with the some of the above as I don't think they are a breed that accept a heavy hand. More a level of understanding. I have found with mine that you are far better to avoid the situation occuring that causes these conflicts than try and dominate your way out of it. For the same reasons, I wouldn't trust any dog near a small child, particularly a cocker. I love mine to bits, but they can be quirky. Change the lifestyle and you will be fine. Hope my experiences help.

i think you might be right with this because he can be a very nervous dog i have had a spinger for 4 years which is a totaly different dog nothing will phase her

so i think i might be being i bit harsh with him because i am used to her being very strong willed as for the strictness i am very stricked with them they dont get away with anything!! and the only time he will come agrssive is when i confrunt him he does no that when he has done bad i grrrrrr at him and he drops his head so he does no

thanks for all the comments

No good smacking him at any time never mind so long after the event.Need to stop the event happening in the first place.

Sounds to me the poor dog is bored out of his mind and needs reassurance and company.

Just my two pennorth.

Have to agree, this dog sounds bored and also sounds very nervous. This will lead to anxiety when you leave it on its own followed by fear of you coming home as the punishment will start. A very viscous cycle you need to break

How much exercise is he getting per day? In my opinion it's vital a cocker gets out at least twice a day for a good run coupled with some basic training as you go to mentally stimulate him as well as phisically drain him. Toys do nothing for my cocker, she won't touch them when she gets left on her own, she only plays with them when we're there. After a good run out in the morning she's more than happy to curl up and sleep until she gets her next walk

No sure what your stimulation level for the dog is..but a working Cocker requires the most I have ever seen. They are funny dogs over confident but insecure at the same time however sounds like he has you on toast (at least in his head)...beating/smacking him with all this alpha ******** wont work either..just harden him . Best suggestion is by WGD and get someone who knows to look at the dog in situation. They respond well to a lifestyle change especially if it involves running/working.. but they are a pendulum of emotion are Cockers and ain't phased by much either but they will trade well...ie you do something he likes and he will respond in kind

Edited by PWD

*** it is fear aggression - he is scared of being hit - simple.

Pack theory is outdated has been for years now, he is not trying to be the boss - if he is destroying the kitchen, then he is bored - doesn't matter how many toys he has - it is boredom - he is a working bred cocker, who is more than likely climbing up the walls.

Like it or not (and no doubt most on here wont) - but if you have had this dog from a pup, then YOU have created this behavior.

I am being honest now, when I say from reading your posts and some of the replies on here - it is only a matter of time before someone in your house gets badly bitten by this dog.

Crate=safe place not punishment.

Get some pro advice - not from a gundog trainer but from a decent COAPE behaviorist or one recommended by your vet - failing that, for the dogs sake - re-home him, before he bites someone and ends up being PTS.

Mike

There has been lots of good advice on here and I too would say get help from a dog behaviour therapist before things escalate. A good one will show you what you are doing wrong and how best to correct it from a psycholgical perspective.(I suspect it is mostly a lack of understanding on both parties that is the problem)

You are obviously a good owner but I feel professional advice would benefit you to get the best relationship from what appears to be a good dog that needs a little help to please all concerned.

Meanwhile, I wouldn,t leave any dog alone with a small child no matter what breed or temperament.

Good luck.

see your vet and get a recommended behavourist one that deals with aggression issues as some don't.

some insurance companies cover behavour problems and will pay for it, some exclude.

if the dog is only showing this aggression issue when he is expecting to be told off it could be fear aggression, rather than a domininance issue,

you really need expert help with this one.

also if you are considering it neuturing a dog with fear aggression can make the matter worse,

good luck

jan