Improved your diet ?

TaxiDriver

please don't take any of this the wrong way.

You don't say how over weight you are, do you need to lose 2 stone or 10? Would you say the rest of your family is over weight? If this is something you can do together it will help, I needed to lose a few stone and i had tried many times before the last time my wife done the diet with me, she is a size 8 and it nearly killed her, but I did make it and now just fight to keep it off.

Nothing to be taken the wrong way..

If you listen to the Dr's I could lose 10st and I'd be their idea of an ideal 11st something.

REALISTICALLY, I could do with losing something between 5-8stone, oh :yes:

THEN, any extra would be a case of really honing it down.

My son's skinny/normal, he's always on the go, won't stop fer meals.

TD -- how heavy are you . how tall are you. how old are you

STOP WHINGING!!!

i,ve struggled all my life and still struggle with weight i,m 5ft10 and nearly 20st

i have the same disc problem as you and a lot more issues besides , i take various painkillers to get by day by day.

dig deep and please find the will power , join a gym and if it hurts tough , just do a little and often until you feel like your progressing .

change your diet a little at a time and go for it.

thats what i,m doing anyway , some days it hurts too much but rest then carry on , after excercise i feel a whole lot happier inside

you are the only one holding you back , think to the future and make a new start this new year , DONT be a burden on the NHS

During the week I eat no meat.

It's amazing what meals you can make up with a bit of veg

I also fit in some form of exercise which works round my work.

I also have two dogs to walk everyday.

weekends are my little treat days which are the odd bottle of wine (if am not working)

takeaway or a meal out plus chocs(what girl don't love chocs)

And give or take a few pounds this seems to work for me.

Am not missing out on anything and i feel fit.

A good sign that you are really in a bad way weight wise

is if your breathless by the time you get to the top of your stairs

or even worse need to sit down.

Try it and if you are

lose weight and within weeks you will notice the differance :good:

small steps always make you aim for bigger goals ;)

xxxxSuzy

TD -- how heavy are you . how tall are you. how old are you I'm 47, 5'10 and around 22st

STOP WHINGING!!! THIS I TAKE OFFENCE AT It's a discussion I started seeking advice/opinions

I've struggled all my life and still struggle with weight i,m 5ft10 and nearly 20st

i have the same disc problem as you and a lot more issues besides , i take various painkillers to get by day by day. Same here, ie Asthmatic, Hypertensive, Central sleep Apnea. I've recently gone cold turkey and stopped taking Upto 700mg of Tramadol daily because of the side effects.

dig deep and please find the will power , join a gym and if it hurts tough , just do a little and often until you feel like your progressing .

change your diet a little at a time and go for it. I've bought a bicycle and am trying to walk more than I do presently.thats what i,m doing anyway , some days it hurts too much but rest then carry on , after excercise i feel a whole lot happier inside

you are the only one holding you back , think to the future and make a new start this new year ,I am hence starting this discussion DONT be a burden on the NHS Again I take offence at this, I've paid my dues overthe years and continue to do so, I do not, nor have I ever smoked, drink so little Im treated as a stranger if I go in my local pub, nor have I ever done drugs

Edited by TaxiDriver

hi mate i cant comment personally on weight problems,but my missus struggled for years with her weight after the kids came along.she tried allsorts of things exercise diets etc anyhow she says its all about finding the right diet programme for yourself.she had been on different ones weightwatchers etc and came across a slimmingworld class and stuck to there methods,shes been there eight month now and lost two stone.basically by eating good food and not rubbish ie chips, mcdonalds etc.hope this helps you fella atb.

Here's another thought. I vowed in the summer to get fit again as I've let myself go over the last 5 years and put on 2 stones (seems to happen easily once you hit 40). I came back from my hols and downloaded the 'Couch to 5K' Podcast onto my ipod. I've never been a runner, even when I was fit, but now every chance I get I go out and run. I'm now the fittest I've ever been and am happy running for an hour at a time.

If I can do it anyone can!

as a side note i wouldnot say my dieat is unhelthy i eat lots of fruit and veg satsumas apples bananas. maybe chips once in 10 days wth fish and mushey pease!

but i do eat salads,game and lots of oily fish herring being the best by far!i eat about 6-8 herring rool-mops a week :blush:

my weakness is white bread i dont prefer it over brown i just forget to buy it :blush: that and portion size coz ime a gready ******

gastric band/stomach bypass is just a load of tosh, in my opinion.

Eat healthy, and do exercise. Thats all there is to it :good:

Got to agree with that!!

At the end of the day , its all fairly simple . Burn off more than you eat .

Small , healthy meals , 4-6 times a day , limit your snacks , drink pleantly of water , find an exercise you enjoy doing etc...

I always say the hardest thing about dieting is the sticking with it .

Good luck with it anyway mate .

Andy .

diets dont work once you get dowbnto that weight and stop it goes back on,exercise is key eating good food and not pigging out a few years back i was fit 12 stone and looked good, now im 15 stone look n feel like **** so om back in the gym every night and eating healthy its working for me, just try and see what you get on with, also see if any of your mates go to the gym that helps too

Everyone is different. I'll buck the trend about exercise and diet though. I read a book by Dr Briffa, a UK doctor who writes books about diet etc. He has a great website with some interesting articles. Here's a good one about exercise for weightloss.

Dr Briffas website here!

Study reveals that women need to exercise for 77 hours to lose a kg of fat, and why knowing this can actually help maintain the motivation to exercise

Although I am an advocate of exercise, I have more than once felt the urge to express the view that it’s not a particularly effective tool for weight loss. The view is partly based on my experience (the experience of a friend of mind that he recounted over dinner and you can read here is a prime example of this). But my view is really mainly founded in the science, which you can read about here.

One of the good things about this area of research is the fact that there’s quite a lot of very relevant research in it. And by ‘very relevant’ I really referring to intervention studies: studies where researchers ask people to take more exercise to see what effect this has. An example of such a study was published last week, and I want to share the results of it with you here.

In this study, 320 post-menopausal women whose weight ranged from normal to obese were randomised to either an additional exercise or no additional exercise group (the control group) [1]. Those in the exercise group were instructed to take 45 minutes worth of moderate-vigorous aerobic exercise, 5 times a week for a year. Both groups (the additional exercise and the control group) were instructed not to change their diets.

At the end of the year, it was found that the exercise group, compared to the control group, lost an average of 2 kg (4.4 lbs) of fat. I’d say that quite a lot of us would be glad to drop a couple of kgs of fat. But now I’d also like to focus on what these women had to do to achieve this loss.

While the exercise group were instructed to exercise 5 times a week for 45 minutes, what they actually did was exercise for an average of 3.6 days each week. Total exercise time averaged 178.5 mins per week. We can multiply this by 52 to get the total number of minutes exercise over the course of the year, and divide this by 60 to convert it into hours. Doing this, we get a total of just under 155 hours. That’s about 77 hours of exercise for each kg of fat lost.

He has also written a good book for men about weightloss:

Waist Disposal

51FBIGSiodL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Forgive the dodgy cover but his ideas make sense and everything he says he backs up using links to scientific study's. We're told by Health Authorities to eat lots of pasta, bread, rice and potatoes and cut down on meat and proteins. However eating refined carbs seems to put on weight. I can testify to this as for 6 months we ate low fat high carb meals thinking we were doing the right thing. The weight wasn't shifted.

He doesn't value calorie controlled diets either! Reckons the body goes into starvation mode!

So I eat nuts, yoghurt or eggs for brekkie. Tuna mayo or soup or salad for lunch. Meat or fish with plenty of veggies but no potatoes. I don't feel that hungry between meals (I used to get bad hunger but I guess that was caused by the sugary snacks). If I do feel hungry I eat a few nuts or olives between meals. Drink water instead of cordial etc.

Basically he reckons a diet full of natural stuff. However if bacon is your thing eat as much as you like (within reason - bowel cancer!). A full breakfast is fine with him if now and again.

So it's high protein but it's eating still healthier than I used to. I just can't stand being hungry all the time and calorie controlled works for the few kgs but then stops dead in it's tracks (Dr Briffa explains why in his book).

Each to their own, whatever works for you!

Went out this afternoon for a look around my local supermarket (Morrisons)

Came back with some Pumpkin seeds, Sunflower seeds, dried raisins, brown rice, blueberries, dried cranberries.

All of which I shall be trying over the next week or so :cry:

Called in at my Dr's and made an appointment for monday to see my GP,

whilst I was there got the practice nurse to weigh me :yp: EEK !! 22st 7lbs and at my height my BMI works out at a shameful 46, apparently desirable range is between 18-26

I feel for ya Taxidriver, and wish you all the best in achieving your goal.

This thread has sort of hit a nerve…… I myself need to lose weight. I am the typical beer barrel my arms and legs are skinny(Chicken legs) yet my belly is huge. I put this down to spending 12hours a day stuck at my desk with Zero exercise, Excessive eating and drinking lots of Beer…

When I got married 15 years ago I was fairly fit. I gained a bit of weight as everyone does when they get married, But hovered around the 12 - 13stone mark for years. Which at 6ft, big build is not a bad weight I think…

My biggest problem is over the course of several years of working overseas with a Combination of good and Bad food and copious amounts of Beer it soon added up to me weighing 120kg’s approx 19stone. In 2007 me and a Good friend that I was working with in Siberia decided we needed to do something about our weight so he tried the fruit diet, I don’t like fruit so I tried the Cambridge diet. We both lost some weight, I lost a stone in the first few weeks great but it all came on as quick as I lost it. So we both gave up on that idea…

Then he came up with the crazy idea of doing army fitness, So we decided our goal was not to lose weight but to get fit enough to join the T.A., We took this pretty serious in that we purchased desert army clothing and boots and got 2 replica Army issue SLR rifles made out of steel and wood ours weighed about 4kg’s that was about 1kg less than the proper thing, But still you knew you were carrying it. We both also Purchased army burgen’s and webbing so we could load them with 20kg’s to do the 6 mile Jog/Hike. The details of the army fitness can be found on the web. Basically we done a 6mile jog/walk once a week with full kit and every other day we done a combination of beep test(Which I downloaded on to my ipod) and 1.5mile jog. Sit-ups etc we just done a few each day. They were my short fall I hated the sit-ups… We Charted this on log sheets and it was good looking back at our times getting better and better as time went on.

The idea of a goal other than just to lose weight seemed to have worked I think it was a psychological thing!! We also changed our diet slightly but still really ate what we wanted and all was going well until my Buddy got transferred to another part of the world and I stopped. Over the course of 12months of doing the army fitness I had managed to get down to 102kg’s Just about a 3stone loss and I felt a great improvement in my overall fitness.

But over the last few years I went back up to 18stone and back down again to the 17 stone that I weigh today(That’s if the scales I used here are accurate)…

So I have just over 10months to fulfill the promise I made to myself just over a year ago! That is to get down to a healthy weight before my 40th Birthday.

Thanks to this thread It has made me think about it again. I know I can do it I just need to get off my **** and Do-It!!!!