******* KIA

Wildfowler12

I bought a 2007 KIA Sportage a few months ago for £8250. Top spec Titan model, 2.0 petrol engine. The manufacturers guide says it'll do 35mpg on a combined cycle. 40+ on the motorway. Well I've run it dry maybe 15 times since buying it and the very best return I have got was 26mpg.

The KIA dealer was made aware right from the off and have replaced various hoses and pipes each time with the promise, it's sorted now. Each time, still the same on economy.

I have to work out my mileage and consumption weekly with work and KIA have asked me to do several 100mile consumption tests (all at my cost) and still, results of between 20-25mpg (I stress here that 70% is motorway miles at 60mph in cruise control).

After all this they now say that there is a 50% tolerance limit on thier quoted economy figures, and because 20mpg half of thier quoted figures they will not do anything!!

I have owned 5 cars since passing my test and I'm not stupid enough to think that they will all achieve thier economy stats, however all the rest are usually only 4-5mpg out. This is ridiculous.

I get about 260 to a tank costing £60+ a go. Now I want my money back but feel I've probably got no chance at all. It seems you can return anything you ever buy unless it's a car!!

Does anybody know where I stand? What are trading standards likely to say about the issue? I'll be calling them tonight.

Rant over, thanks in advance...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the use of cruise control is your biggest enemy. My fuel consumption drops dramatically when it's on. Also my dad had a KIA cee'd, he complains that if he takes it much above 55mph the mpg drops like a stone. It's alot more efficient being driven 'carefully' on A roads than on motorway even with the 6 speed box. they seem to be geared for slow drivers! I do think you'll struggle getting decent mpg out of a 2litre petrol though, especially in such a heavy car. My old 2litre focus would only return mid 30's.

Sorry it's not much help,

ATB,

Phil

I'm sorry to say the MPG figures as stated by manufacturers is way off those achievable in real life. The basic rule of thumb is to knock some 20% off the combined figures and you'll be close to everyday consumption. It's difficult to think of any 2.0 petrol cars capable of returning 35 MPG!

I'm sorry to say the MPG figures as stated by manufacturers is way off those achievable in real life. The basic rule of thumb is to knock some 20% off the combined figures and you'll be close to everyday consumption. It's difficult to think of any 2.0 petrol cars capable of returning 35 MPG!

:stupid:

I'm getting around 18 mpg (us gal )from my 4.7 jeep,thank god the cost of fuel is comming down.I filled up yesterday for $3.17 a gallon is the price dropping back home ?

YOU WANT TO START AN INTERNATIONAL WAR ............... DONT MENTION THE FULE PRICES :lol::lol::lol:

us gal 3.78 ltr 0.83cents per ltr

canadain gal 4.55 ltr 0.95 cents per ltr

UK gal your first born and some apparently

I had an older kia sportage 53 plate that I bought for shooting . It was absolutely terrible on petrol .It was a 2litre and the best I ever got out of it was 22 to the gallon on a 90 mile round trip . Didnt have it long ,got shot of it . It was doing about 18 to the gallon around town ,you could hear the petol slurping through the pipes . Terible ,terible economy . Get shot of it and trade it in for the diesel model . Never ever buy a petrol 4x4 .

Harnser .

I bought a 2007 KIA Sportage a few months ago for £8250. Top spec Titan model, 2.0 petrol engine. The manufacturers guide says it'll do 35mpg on a combined cycle. 40+ on the motorway. Well I've run it dry maybe 15 times since buying it and the very best return I have got was 26mpg.

The KIA dealer was made aware right from the off and have replaced various hoses and pipes each time with the promise, it's sorted now. Each time, still the same on economy.

I have to work out my mileage and consumption weekly with work and KIA have asked me to do several 100mile consumption tests (all at my cost) and still, results of between 20-25mpg (I stress here that 70% is motorway miles at 60mph in cruise control).

After all this they now say that there is a 50% tolerance limit on thier quoted economy figures, and because 20mpg half of thier quoted figures they will not do anything!!

I have owned 5 cars since passing my test and I'm not stupid enough to think that they will all achieve thier economy stats, however all the rest are usually only 4-5mpg out. This is ridiculous.

I get about 260 to a tank costing £60+ a go. Now I want my money back but feel I've probably got no chance at all. It seems you can return anything you ever buy unless it's a car!!

Does anybody know where I stand? What are trading standards likely to say about the issue? I'll be calling them tonight.

It maybe cheaper to go down the LPG route instead of losing all your money as not many people are buying large petrol cars at the minute!!

Royal

I had a Hyundai Tucson, now I rate Hyundai and have owed a few over the last few years. The Tucson is the same engine running gear etc as the Kia and I have to say I had the same problem, it was really **** on petrol and they would do nothing for me at the time so I got rid and brought the Santa FE. if you look on the owner fourms you will see it is a common problem.

I had a Hyundai Tucson, now I rate Hyundai and have owed a few over the last few years. The Tucson is the same engine running gear etc as the Kia and I have to say I had the same problem, it was really **** on petrol and they would do nothing for me at the time so I got rid and brought the Santa FE. if you look on the owner fourms you will see it is a common problem.

My wife drives the Tucson 2.0 petrol and it does 20.3 mpg. They didn't tell me that when we got it:(

LOL a mate was working in "north Africa" they firm rented them a load Tucson 2WD Auto petrols he said they were awful but the 2.7litre Hilux was good fun! (they were paying 10p ish a litre for fuel) and if they had been there longer something 5-6litre was on the cards as a pool car.

I know a mate with a CRV 2.0litre Auto and that gets good economy (for a petrol auto 4x4 on reasonable M+S tyres) 30+

Where do you stand, probably on one leg in a revolving door!

Trading standards won't be able to do anything about this. They are under staffed, have more to worry about like lead paint on kids toys and dodgy medicines, and would probably fold under the onslaught from car companies if they took this on.

If you see Kia advertising these figures (TV, newspapers, website) then complain to the Advertising Standards Authority - they can make them stop the advertising but it won't get your money back.

I suppose you could try a small claims court for false representation but I don't hold out much hope. None of the MPG tests are conducted in real life situations for many reasons but that's just the way it is. Also, if Kia has any sense and you did try to make a press case out of this, they should contact Ford, and Honda and VW etc. as they would all have a vested interest in not giving you your money back.

Have you put it in writing to Kia (and the local dealership) that you believe the car was falsely represented in order to close the deal and that you are seeking a legal opinion on misrepresentation of their goods and services. It may be enough to tip them in to some action.

is a 2.o ltr regarded as a large engine now?

what constitutes a "normal family saloon" car?

curious is i, being that the norm here is a V8 5LTR

Martin.

:lol: I once had a 454 Chevy it used to do about 25...

Thats Gallons to the Mile of course..the big Holley Carbs used to suck it out of the tank like an elephant at a water hole. :lol:

Thanks for your thoughts guys, I'll try a written complaint next, however as I was just told by the complaints dpt at KIA headquarters 'thanks for your complaint, but you won't be getting a response from us' I doubt that will come to much.

I suppose it serves me right for buying a KIA, If the Xtrail hadn't broke I'd have never parted with it!

So the yanks are paying about £2.50 a UK Gallon :angry:

And we get slapped in the name of "saving the planet", yet we only use about 5% of the worlds total....

Anyway, my 3.0 Trooper turbo diesel does around 30mpg as I drive it like a Nun, very gently! Its got 33 x 12.5 inch mudders on as well :lol:

Thanks for your thoughts guys, I'll try a written complaint next, however as I was just told by the complaints dpt at KIA headquarters 'thanks for your complaint, but you won't be getting a response from us' I doubt that will come to much.

I suppose it serves me right for buying a KIA, If the Xtrail hadn't broke I'd have never parted with it!

I had some issues with my Kia when I got it and the customer service was terrible it got to the point that I wanted to hit the customer device guy so I had to walk away and go back the next day when I had calmed down. I would not buy a Kia again due to the customer service.

I did get it sorted in the end but a lot of Argo :angry:

I had some issues with my Kia when I got it and the customer service was terrible it got to the point that I wanted to hit the customer device guy so I had to walk away and go back the next day when I had calmed down. I would not buy a Kia again due to the customer service.

I did get it sorted in the end but a lot of Argo :angry:

That's what it was like today, the smart **** bi tch had an answer for eveything I had to say and she insisted that she was the highest person I could speak to and that nothing would be done with regards to my issue or my complaint.