15 year old seeking help with what air rifle to buy

Chrisyboy

CB, you may wish to ask in the airgun section.

Apart from that what monies are we talking.

This is just my opinion but I likes a good german springer in 177 my self, independant see, all you need is pellets.

The BSA lightnings are good too.

RWS springers don't get mentioned today much but are good.

Air arms are excellent.

I don't know your size, but give thought to the weights of these springers and get a sling.

Happy hunting :yes:

Underdog.

Assuming you wish to shoot rabbits etc then use a 177, the flatter trajectory means that range judgement is less critical making it easier to place that pellet behind the rabbits eye.

Zero at 25 yards, that will allow you to shoot straight at up to 30 yards, nothing teaches you to stalk better than rabbits, getting inside 25 yards is the skill.

A

Ok thanks people and someone in my family will buy me the gun and I will use it like most people who hunt at this age

HOws that then? within the law i hope. Go along to a local club and i am sure plenty of people will let you try their guns. TX200 is great but HEAVY, HW95/77/97 are very good.

Edited by HDAV

Think a lot of people may not know about the new air weapons laws that came into force earlier this year. Speaking to a couple of friends who have / used to have air rifles did not know about the new laws, fortunately they already kept air rifles locked up out of the way.

The BASC site is well worth visiting for the info they have and how to stay within the law on using air rifles.

Nanny state gone mad.... :no: ....most of the people I know had an airgun at a young age.

It's disappointing that a young lad comes on, words a post quite well and gets a heap of lefty liberal enforced laws quoted...

I often think a lot of the problems caused with airguns are down to the taboo hushed opinion of them...

I tried to buy a tin can alley for my son this year (the one that had the underlever with it) and was sad to learn that you can't get them anymore...HSE gone mad!

Nanny state gone mad.... :no: ....most of the people I know had an airgun at a young age.

It's disappointing that a young lad comes on, words a post quite well and gets a heap of lefty liberal enforced laws quoted...

the law is the law better to know about it than end up in trouble over it ignorance is no defence I think the VCR act is poor legislation but then show me some brittish law that isn't!

I often think a lot of the problems caused with airguns are down to the taboo hushed opinion of them...

I tried to buy a tin can alley for my son this year (the one that had the underlever with it) and was sad to learn that you can't get them anymore...HSE gone mad!

it's a public forum and we have no idea who is posting. obviously we wouldn't want to give the impression that we encourage breaking the law.

Of course we don't want anyone to break the law or be seen to be encouraging it but how many on here had an air gun given to them at 8-10 years old and if we are really honest I bet most of us that we're given an air rifle did something silly with it! :)

I was simply stating it is sad that it has come to this... :(

Similar but I think his mum may kill me if I give a 3 year old an airgun.... :lol:

Of course we don't want anyone to break the law or be seen to be encouraging it but how many on here had an air gun given to them at 8-10 years old and if we are really honest I bet most of us that we're given an air rifle did something silly with it! :)

Similar but I think his mum may kill me if I give a 3 year old an airgun.... :lol:

I think gixer is correct. It is the OP's responcibility to act within the law and not for us to police it. His personal circumstance with his guardians, uncles or parents is of no concern to us what so ever.

Best of luck to him I say :yes:

U.

Sorry CB just a bit of guidance the best thing is join a club

The Law

The law makes no distinction between air rifles and more powerful guns for which you need a licence – they are all classed as firearms. This means that any offence you commit can carry a very heavy penalty.

14 – 17 years

You can

• Borrow an air rifle and ammunition

• Use an air rifle, without supervision, on private premises where you have permission

You cannot

• Buy or hire an air rifle, or ammunition, or receive one as a gift. Your air rifle and ammunition must be bought and looked after by someone over 18 – normally your parent, guardian or some other responsible adult.

• Have an air rifle in a public place unless you are supervised by somebody aged 21 or over, and you have a reasonable excuse to do so (for example, while on the way to a shooting ground).

Under 14 years

You can

• use an air rifle under supervision on private premises with permission from the occupier - normally the owner or tenant. The person who supervises you must be at least 21 years old.

You cannot

• buy, hire or receive an air rifle or its ammunition as a gift, or shoot, without adult supervision.

Parents or guardians who buy an air rifle for use by someone under 14 must exercise control over it at all times. It is illegal to sell an air rifle or ammunition to a person under 18 years of age.

It's sad to think in SA where I grew up at his age we were left unattended at school whilst inter house clay pigeon comps took place.

If you can find someone over 21 to keep it for you, have a look at this previous thread:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/184497-l300-to-spend/page__p__1561885__fromsearch__1#entry1561885

Still have the airgun I was given at around seven years old. Still a cracking gun and kept me outside and healthy...

His spelling and grammar is very good for a 3 year old :good: